Are Showsec a legit company?

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 17 May 2023, 16:25

I just applied for part time work with them via Indeed, I think I've been to one of their comic cons before over in Hull, and to be honest I've been to better organised ones before, at better venues an' all.

I am aware of Google.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 17 May 2023, 16:46

I have heard of them but usually around sports events rather than comic cons. I believe they are a 3rd party "events organising" if say for example we wanted someone to handle crowd control and other aspects without us personally doing it.
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 17 May 2023, 22:59

Yes, Showsec supply staff for crowd control and door security at any large event such as Cons and Sports Competitions, including SIA door staff. You might have seen them at Sheffield Arena for MCM and YCC events.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Ferefire
Ensouled Member
Ensouled Member
Great Britain

Post by Ferefire » 18 May 2023, 03:49

Ugh, not a company I'd recommend tbh from what I've heard but I mean if they're paying decently go for it.
---

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 20 May 2023, 15:38

I spoke to someone from Showsec on the mobile yesterday, due to personal circumstances I can't work at night, and most of the event work is at night, they've asked me to think about it and possibly ring up next week to withdraw my application, I doubt I'll get the job anyway due to the short hours/disability issues (Equality Act, my arse)
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 22 May 2023, 14:04

Well they sent me an email this morning to do a video interview, answering 4 different questions, I did that to the best of my ability, one of the questions said part of the job was standing up a lot to show people round and that, I had to admit that due to back problems I've had from birth (just over 47 years) I can't stand for long periods and that'd probably lead to a hard no for the job! In actual fact I got an email about an hour ago, I've PASSED the video interview!

I've sent in photocopies of ID documents, and a copy of the most recent payslip from work (dated a month ago, almost to the day) and they've accepted them all and will be in touch with the next steps.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 10 Jun 2023, 15:25

So I rang up last week, and withdrew my application, it wasn't to be an SIA Door Supervisor, it was to be a Steward, to be honest that's even worse IMO even though the money's not bad.