College or Uni courses in Sheffield for the over 40s?

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 26 Sep 2022, 11:07

Above.

I applied for a game design course up at Peaks College last month, they literally told me that at 46 I'm too old for the course and I was like, pardon?!

Anyway I sent Sheffield College a message on Twitter last week to discuss this, they never got back to me, I've just come off the phone to them, and they told me the level 1 game design course is purely for 15/16 year old school leavers with 1000 GCSEs to their name, I'm sorry but you what?! Surely this is completely contrary to any and all anti-discrimination laws regarding older students?!

I was 21 when I originally left Sheffield College in July 1997, surely 25 years later I've learned life and other skills that would be valuable to any College course full of kids who've only just come out of Nappies?! More to the point, when I first started in September 1995 at the age of 19, even in those days I was the second eldest on the course.

People do get older all the time, the UK population is getting older, and contrary to the inane warbling of the right, not all of us are workshy wastes of skin who exist purely at the expense of tax payers.

Thoughts?

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 26 Sep 2022, 21:29

When I was at Uni *cough cough* years ago, there was a fair sprinkling of mature students around the campus. Admittedly, most were studying Education with a view to becoming Teachers, but there were still 1 or 2 on other courses.

These days it's more about your earning potential. You've got that student loan to repay after all. Also, things like Game Design are really popular, so they raise the requirements to thin the field of applicants.

You might have more success if you can apply via a scheme. I don't know where to look at the moment, but maybe the local Jobseeker Office may be able to point the way.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 27 Sep 2022, 06:26

Ojisama wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 21:29
When I was at Uni *cough cough* years ago, there was a fair sprinkling of mature students around the campus. Admittedly, most were studying Education with a view to becoming Teachers, but there were still 1 or 2 on other courses.

These days it's more about your earning potential. You've got that student loan to repay after all. Also, things like Game Design are really popular, so they raise the requirements to thin the field of applicants.

You might have more success if you can apply via a scheme. I don't know where to look at the moment, but maybe the local Jobseeker Office may be able to point the way.

I'd rather not get back involved with Job Centre Plus thanks, previous encounters with that lot have NOT been pleasant.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)