Does Thimbleweed Park take place in the same universe as Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle?

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Jongriffin
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Does Thimbleweed Park take place in the same universe as Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle?

Post by Jongriffin » 07 Jul 2022, 07:04

Two of the first Ron Gilbert games I played on the PC were The Secret of Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion, back in the very early 90s. I loved those two games. Likewise, I loved Maniac Mansion's sequel Day of the Tentacle. While more Monkey Island games were made - and a new one is coming out this year, to my delight - there weren't any sequels to Maniac Mansion after Day of the Tentacle

Or so I thought..... 

But I recently started playing Thimbleweed Park, which I downloaded on my Switch this past week. I didn't expect any relation to Maniac Mansion, but when I went to a diner, I noticed it was run by two very familiar faces. Scrolling the icon over them, sure enough it was Dave and Sandy from Maniac Mansion. Then, when at a gas station mart, a young man named Leonard mentioned having an incredibly intelligent cousin named Bernard. And I asked, "is he referring to the same Bernard from  Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle?"

I can't find anything about Ron Gilbert confirming that Thimbleweed Park takes place in the same universe as Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle, but I hope it does. I hope they are more than just easter eggs in the game, I hope the three games share a common canon like the MCU does.