Nabedon [Momo&Naoki]

Where you can keep a diary of your life. Only one topic per member, please!

Moderators: djd001, LikkleMel, Noodle

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Nabedon [Momo&Naoki]

Post by PharaohAtem » 10 May 2022, 23:12

I ordered food it's too warm a d humid

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Teeny
Light Blue Member
Light Blue Member
Great Britain

Nabedon [Momo&Naoki]

Post by Teeny » 11 May 2022, 05:57

Momogari wrote:
10 May 2022, 22:25
Fucking work.

Glad to be home.

I can relate haha.
・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・
Click above to join me in Joestar Clan

Naoki
Veteran Member

Achievements

Nabedon [Momo&Naoki]

Post by Naoki » 11 May 2022, 20:34

Momogari wrote:
10 May 2022, 22:25
Fucking work.

Glad to be home.
Tis me every single day~

I'm so tired. =__=;

Naoki
Veteran Member

Achievements

Nabedon [Momo&Naoki]

Post by Naoki » 11 May 2022, 20:36

But look at how pretty Kaeya is!

I need to post more so I get to see my pretty boy more. XD

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Nabedon [Momo&Naoki]

Post by Momogari » 11 May 2022, 20:50

That sounds like a good idea.
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

Teeny
Light Blue Member
Light Blue Member
Great Britain

Nabedon [Momo&Naoki]

Post by Teeny » 13 May 2022, 15:23

Yess post more :3
・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Nabedon [Momo&Naoki]

Post by Momogari » 13 May 2022, 23:10

I have tried my new coffee grinder. It's pretty neat. I didn't know if it was adjusting right so I watched a youtube video and learned that this is an "entry level" coffee grinder. For $100? I guess it's like a gateway drug.

Spoiler:  

It does grind pretty nice and consistent though. I gave it the recommended adjustment for french press and it was finer than I expected.

Spoiler:  

I also read a french press guide and they said to pour a little bit of water, stir it around with a chopstick, and let it "bloom". What does blooming mean for coffee? Oh I guess I can look it up now. Hm. Apparently it's a normal thing that's when the gas escapes from the freshly ground coffee. I suppose that's the start of my education.

Oh, apparently the bitterness is often a matter of how much time you give it to bloom. Interesting.

Spoiler:  

And then my instructions said 4 minutes. So I set a timer for 3 minutes 40 seconds to compensate for the time spent reading it.

But then bruh. Surely even if it's a tiny bit of water while blooming it's still going to extract some while it's doing that. So...I guess you have to be careful of timing on both, both individually and considered together.

Man, coffee's a pain in the ass.

And then it said
Press the filter down. If it’s hard to press, that means your grind is too fine; if the plunger “thunks” immediately down to the floor, it means your grind is too coarse. The sweet spot, pressure-wise, is 15–20 pounds
Really? I don't know how much that is either but it seems like a lot. If anything...I think my plunge was a bit too easy. Too coarse? No way, my grind looked pretty fine to me. Not that I'm an expert or nothing, so I guess I don't know.

Also the instructions used a scale. A scale! for coffee! Ok that's smart to get the ratios right but god damn I'm not that serious yet.

Anyway, the final result this time was...not bad. Still a bit more bitter than I'd like and that I've had from this french press before when I was just winging it. I did give it time to bloom and I did smell the bitterness from the gases but I've had my beans from the store for more than two weeks so surely there can't have been that much gas in them. I don't think that's it. I didn't over extract it either I think. Hmm. Perhaps the temperature? Let me read. Apparently very high temperature makes it harder to control the rate of extraction so even if you time it it could be over extracted anyway. I suppose that makes sense. It's the same for tea and why you don't use boiling water for white or green tea. I describe it as burning it and I'm sure that makes no sense at all but the end result makes a lot of teas taste bitter like burnt so sense can kiss my ass. I suppose coffee is the same though. This time I used water very close to boiling. Next time I'll try toning it down a bit.
According to the National Coffee Association, the ideal water temperature for extraction is between 195°F and 205°F,
Well. That's probably about what I used. I'm still going to take it lower. Maybe around 190.

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Nabedon [Momo&Naoki]

Post by Momogari » 14 May 2022, 22:32

Today I cut some shelves for my cabinets.

And then I put the shelves in my cabinets.

And then cleaned my bathroom.

And then went to the fish place for dinner and had lobster bisque. That lobster bisque is super good. I considered ordering another one but that would be extravagant and their kitchen was really busy anyway.
I had a beer that was ostensibly flavored with blood orange and lemongrass and that part was good but I'm pretty sure I tasted brett in that beer too and I don't like that.
I found out a common descriptor for the taste of brett is "sweaty horse blanket". Sounds about right.
I mean in very tiny quantities it might be ok to add a weird funk but yeah, if you can outright taste it and ask "is that brett?" then it doesn't taste good. Breweries are experimenting with it lately and I hope they put a limit on it.

Teeny
Light Blue Member
Light Blue Member
Great Britain

Nabedon [Momo&Naoki]

Post by Teeny » 15 May 2022, 19:10

Productive :)
・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Nabedon [Momo&Naoki]

Post by Ojisama » 15 May 2022, 22:21

Momogari wrote:
13 May 2022, 23:10
I have tried my new coffee grinder. It's pretty neat. I didn't know if it was adjusting right so I watched a youtube video and learned that this is an "entry level" coffee grinder. For $100? I guess it's like a gateway drug.

Spoiler:  

It does grind pretty nice and consistent though. I gave it the recommended adjustment for french press and it was finer than I expected.

Spoiler:  

I also read a french press guide and they said to pour a little bit of water, stir it around with a chopstick, and let it "bloom". What does blooming mean for coffee? Oh I guess I can look it up now. Hm. Apparently it's a normal thing that's when the gas escapes from the freshly ground coffee. I suppose that's the start of my education.

Oh, apparently the bitterness is often a matter of how much time you give it to bloom. Interesting.

Spoiler:  

And then my instructions said 4 minutes. So I set a timer for 3 minutes 40 seconds to compensate for the time spent reading it.

But then bruh. Surely even if it's a tiny bit of water while blooming it's still going to extract some while it's doing that. So...I guess you have to be careful of timing on both, both individually and considered together.

Man, coffee's a pain in the ass.

And then it said
Press the filter down. If it’s hard to press, that means your grind is too fine; if the plunger “thunks” immediately down to the floor, it means your grind is too coarse. The sweet spot, pressure-wise, is 15–20 pounds
Really? I don't know how much that is either but it seems like a lot. If anything...I think my plunge was a bit too easy. Too coarse? No way, my grind looked pretty fine to me. Not that I'm an expert or nothing, so I guess I don't know.

Also the instructions used a scale. A scale! for coffee! Ok that's smart to get the ratios right but god damn I'm not that serious yet.

Anyway, the final result this time was...not bad. Still a bit more bitter than I'd like and that I've had from this french press before when I was just winging it. I did give it time to bloom and I did smell the bitterness from the gases but I've had my beans from the store for more than two weeks so surely there can't have been that much gas in them. I don't think that's it. I didn't over extract it either I think. Hmm. Perhaps the temperature? Let me read. Apparently very high temperature makes it harder to control the rate of extraction so even if you time it it could be over extracted anyway. I suppose that makes sense. It's the same for tea and why you don't use boiling water for white or green tea. I describe it as burning it and I'm sure that makes no sense at all but the end result makes a lot of teas taste bitter like burnt so sense can kiss my ass. I suppose coffee is the same though. This time I used water very close to boiling. Next time I'll try toning it down a bit.
According to the National Coffee Association, the ideal water temperature for extraction is between 195°F and 205°F,
Well. That's probably about what I used. I'm still going to take it lower. Maybe around 190.

I'm no expert, but it sounds like your grind might have been too fine, as you said.

Coffee is very much an individual taste (literally) and it is very much a science to work out the way that you like. The way I make coffee has changed since I watched James Hoffman on Youtube. He uses a whole range of brewing techniques.

Other "experts" have also tried this technique, and this video explains in greater detail.

To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Nabedon [Momo&Naoki]

Post by Momogari » 16 May 2022, 21:32

That's a lot of steeping. I'd worry about over extraction if the second guy hadn't tested it. But...ok. I guess I can try that.

I dont actually care about sludge or silt though. They seem to make a bigger fuss about it than necessary.

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Nabedon [Momo&Naoki]

Post by Ojisama » 16 May 2022, 21:50

I think the trick is the grind. They both emphasise the coarse side of medium. The long steep allows a good extraction from the grinds, but if you use a fine grind, there will be a lot of bitterness from the over-extraction.

I don't have a grinder, so I'm at the mercy of the what the shops sell.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Nabedon [Momo&Naoki]

Post by Momogari » 17 May 2022, 04:56

I have sensed it's the grind as well.

Job recruiters' pitches are becoming harder to ignore.
I know it's a good problem to have but it causes me anxiety.
I hate money. I normally hate it because I hate worrying about it but it seems even the intrusive suggestion of getting more of it also disturbs me. Money is stupid. I hate it.

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Nabedon [Momo&Naoki]

Post by Momogari » 17 May 2022, 11:35

But I guess if I have money I might as well use it.
I ordered a digital scale and a bag of Jamaican blue mountain.

I tried the technique sans the scale and it does seem to work. There's still more bitterness than I'd like but nearly as much as I'd expect from that length of time. That skimming must take a fair bit of the bitterness out. I suppose that makes sense. The floaters must have more gas in them whereas those that don't float have released theirs already, so after you skim it there's much less risk of releasing excess co2 into the coffee and you can let the rest steep longer.

Teeny
Light Blue Member
Light Blue Member
Great Britain

Nabedon [Momo&Naoki]

Post by Teeny » 17 May 2022, 19:13

Enjoy your coffees!

I don't like coffee I'm sorry.
I think it's the smell.
Even things like coffee flavoured chocolate is a no for me.
・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・