Tanya’s Random Musings

Where you can keep a diary of your life. Only one topic per member, please!

Moderators: djd001, LikkleMel, Noodle

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Lord Myne's Saga

Post by Tanya » 25 Nov 2021, 04:12

Thank You

Only one of the wall scrolls is from China, it’s from Hong Kong when I was there.

The other four are from Japan when I lived there.

I do treasure them and that’s why I take the time to display them the way I do.

I can’t remember what the decorative fans from China are called. Perhaps just that though I seem to recall them having a different name.
本好きの下剋上

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Lord Myne's Saga

Post by Tanya » 25 Nov 2021, 16:00

I just seen a new calendar for 2022 I wish I could get but it likely won’t be available in America.

本好きの下剋上

Tera
Korea South

Achievements

Lord Myne's Saga

Post by Tera » 26 Nov 2021, 00:29

It seems you like the character. What about this character interests you? Personality traits or powers? Look online for the calendar. Use a combination of keywords to find it, and you might be surprised. It could be hiding somewhere. :)

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Lord Myne's Saga

Post by Tanya » 26 Nov 2021, 15:50

I do like her. She's a character from an Isekai which basically means you find yourself living in another world, typically a fantasy one. Well stories that revolve around video games are considered Isekai too when the main story evolves around that characters in the game. It can be multiple characters living in another world too. Isekai seems to be a common trend for new anime right now.

In most Isekai characters usually end up with some type of unique power other than remembering things from their old world. Now that doesn't happen all the time but 95% of the time it does.

Myne or Main pending on how her name is translated is the girl in my avatar and the image above, obviously I prefer Myne. Main leads to a mistake in how her name is pronounced, Myne doesn't or is less likely too.

Myne doesn't have any unique powers except for her knowledge and by no means outclasses the other characters in the story which is common for most Isekai. She's always struggling to obtain her goals, in her previous life she loved to read books but she wakes up in a world born as a commoner where books are rare and expensive. The story starts out with her learning that then struggling to make paper, then ink. She is of course making these things so she can make her own books since she can't buy them.

To top that all this is quite difficult for her since she ends up being sickly and has a weak constitution. Her will and desire to read books keeps her going. In her previous life books were basically all she wanted, but she was generally healthy besides needing glasses to see well. As a result she has to ask and acquire assistance all the time and she changes as a result. She starts to want to have others involved in her life and love them. She also slowly increases her constitution. All in small ways, even now further advanced in the story she is still sickly just not as sickly and weak as she was before.

It does turn out she's in a fantasy world with magic. It does turn out that she does have magic but there are many who have more so despite this adding to her abilities it's still a struggle for her. She gets lots of support from other characters, characters of the new world she lives in. She is the only one from another world which happens to be modern Japan.

In summary I like her because she is weak and continues to struggle to overcome her weaknesses as much as possible to achieve her goals and doesn't do so to hurt others either.
本好きの下剋上

Tera
Korea South

Achievements

Lord Myne's Saga

Post by Tera » 27 Nov 2021, 09:12

You have more knowledge in this than me, so I will take your word for it. In terms of Isekai. I only really got into anime in my twenties, so unlike others who may have been used to it since a young age, I just loved the stories and art style. To me, it was always showing me a new way of thinking, a different world, a different lifestyle and fantastical situations. So, if I don't say much about something, it is only because of my limited knowledge. I have always seen the world through the eyes of a child- in wonderment. However, saying that, I can see why you like the character. Once again, pretty unique. Most people I come across, are enamored with character looks, or powers primarily. You see something beyond the ordinary. I am impressed. It is not every day that a guy looks at a character in that manner. You are like rarest of gems in this world.

I hope one day, you find someone as awesome as you, to share that mind with. You may already have that special someone, but just know... you are super unique. :) And, I mean what I say, as looking at life where you find it admirable that someone strives to achieve their goals, but in a way that doesn't harm others, is not normally something I discover in other people. Yup, impressed I am.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Gives me a small bit of insight into the things you like. I enjoy that. :)

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Lord Myne's Saga

Post by Tanya » 29 Nov 2021, 12:40

It was my pleasure to answer your question.

Seeing the world through the eyes of a child in wonderment is a truly wonderful thing. I don't really believe I'm seeing what's beyond the ordinary just the ordinary qualities that makes someone special. Ordinary qualities in a character in my opinion are the most important ones.

Appearances is a form of perception and one of the first we as humans are capable of taking in to form an opinion or judgement about someone else. So our first impressions, so the less we know about each other the more we will judge by appearances only. What powers or abilities have is usually on display so that's part of appearances. Who a person is, is more important in my opinion but it's more difficult to really know others like that. I'd say that in a story it is a lot easier to know someone like that than out of one. So I tend to form my perception of others mostly on their appearances.

You know that's probably why I like Light Novels over Manga, because Manga is based on appearances while a Light Novel goes in detail on descriptions of those appearances instead as well as inner thoughts so you learn about who a person is.

I have friends and family to talk with, no special someone though. Chances are low I'll find someone I'd want to have a romantic relationship with again. I'm already 43 years old. As for the again, I've had a few but none of them lasted.

Journal Update

I'm working on putting together a new RPG story. I have a few ideas and most of them are still a work in progress. Some ideas about the world, how the campaign progresses etc. I'm going to go into some of the characters. I'll likely use some of these same characters on the forum.

First off it's going to center on a Guild in a Fantasy world, the on the forum might not, pending still.

Geddoe, the Guild Master is going to be a Dwarf who was a former Knight in the defeated Great Dwarven Army. He was young when the Great War ended and the elves were victorious over the Dwarves. As a result the Dwarves and their allies the Gnomes scattered to survive and mainly retreated to the continent with mainly human nations where the elves influence was less. That's how Geddoe a former Knight ended up as a young adventurer long ago in a human nation. Now he was a grizzly old veteran nearing the end of his life but he was still a formidable foe if needed. Geddoe being a Dwarf had formidable control over Earth. Combined with his combat abilities as a Knight it made him a well known adventurer, now retired from the field he runs the Guild. Geddoe still has some of his black hair but it's mostly all grey now. He keeps his long beard and hair well groomed with a sharp appearance. His clothes are more akin to an administrator's but they are kept iron and are tailored well to his fit.

I'll add others later.
Last edited by Tanya on 06 Dec 2021, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
本好きの下剋上

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Lord Myne's Saga

Post by Tanya » 30 Nov 2021, 12:41

Geddoe's character information leads to some of the History timeline. In the past, about 200 years ago the Great Elven and Dwarven War came to an End he had lasted half a millennia. The Elves ended up winning and the primary continent of the world with the most resources came to belong to the Elves. However, about a hundred years ago war blazed again on that continent but this time it is purely a war of elves fighting against each other. Elves as a result see themselves superior to all other races typically but are rarely found out of their lands. Non-elves are all slaves in Elven lands. You can imagine other races don't like elves much as a result.
Last edited by Tanya on 06 Dec 2021, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
本好きの下剋上

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Lord Myne's Saga

Post by Tanya » 04 Dec 2021, 15:46

I was wrestling to come up with a name for the Sub Guild Master. I knew she was going to be a female and a gnome who was more or less a Thief or Treasure Hunter. Further I wanted Speed to be one of her abilities. Names unfortunately can mean a lot to readers so you have to think about them carefully. I decided to go with Glimmer

Glimmer is the sub guild master but still goes on quests so it's more so in name only as she really doesn't take care of any of her duties as Sub-guild master. Glimmer just happens to be the strongest Adventurer in their guild so her lack of administrative abilities or more so being accomplished is overlooked. The Guild Master Gerald takes care of them in her place. Glimmer is a female Gnome who is a treasure hunter primarily so she's more loaded than probably the whole guild combined as she is a very successful treasure hunter. She tends to do all her missions solo she has trust issues with others concerning treasure and if they are competent. Glimmer is famous as one of the Star ranked adventurers of the world. In order to become a Star rank three kings from different countries has to acknowledge the individual has those capabilities. As you can imagine Star rank is pretty much unheard of and in most cases there aren't any that have been officially acknowledge in the world typically. Some are said to be equivalent but not actually recognized like Glimmer is.

Glimmer being a member of the Crimson Vow gives it a huge boost in reputation as a result. Glimmer abilities are her speed, her ability to create crystal, and lightning. As you can imagine she's quite formidable. Her love for treasure above all else makes her not so much of a threat to countries except for maybe their wealth. That said Glimmer hunts for treasure, she doesn't steal it from others.
本好きの下剋上

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Lord Myne's Saga

Post by Tanya » 07 Dec 2021, 01:41

I decided to share my computer's wallpaper
本好きの下剋上

Tera
Korea South

Achievements

Lord Myne's Saga

Post by Tera » 09 Dec 2021, 10:06

You really think things through when it comes to campaigns. Have you ever considered writing short stories and entering competitions? You never know. Something amazing can happen.

As for names for characters. I agree. It can really change how a reader connects with the character. I would say that most authors pick the right names, as I have come across very few characters in my life, where the names did not fit the personality. Even in historical romance books I used to read as a kid, the names were always appropriate for the character. Go, with what you feel is best. The way you look at character abilities mean you are considering your character in its entirety.

I would love to see some of your art pieces at some point. :)

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Lord Myne's Saga

Post by Tanya » 22 Jan 2022, 17:18

Thanks @Tera I always enjoy your comments.

It's been awhile since I've posted. Well I've been somewhat active, just a bit busy or sick, well I was sick this last week.

I'm better now, so no worries.

Not long ago I went out riding with my brother and his family. Well his kids weren't with us. We had a pretty good time.

Afterwards I got my campaign I mentioned above started, Ha ha it was quite a bit of fun. We ran into a few hiccups, so I'm looking to get those addressed. It wasn't challenging enough and suspected it wouldn't be still it isn't meant to be too challenging still a lack thereof isn't a good thing either.
本好きの下剋上

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Lord Myne's Saga

Post by Tanya » 19 Feb 2022, 06:20

I recently purchased a new game. Horizon Forbidden West.

I really enjoyed the first game but here’s the thing I hardly play video games anymore so maybe I won’t even play it. It looks like it’ll be fun so I’ll see.

I spend a lot of time reading, mainly LNs.

I’ve read quite a few recently and I have taken a liking to them more than anime. So I’m looking for and reading LNs of anime I’ve watched and liked.
本好きの下剋上

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Tanya’s Random Musings

Post by Tanya » 20 Feb 2022, 17:44

I’m reading level 99 Villainous Daughter.

It’s pretty interesting although the MC is OP.

Obviously the mc was originally suppose to be the villain it’s in Isekai of someone from Japan that already played the game. She ended up as the final boss of the original game. A boss so powerful that without strategy, tactics, the best resources and gear you’ll lose, plus all your party members have to be maxed level. Needless to say almost no in beat her. But she was the hidden boss so beating her wasn’t necessary. Still as a gamer in her former life she was someone who did beat her.

In her new life she’s not like the previous villain and doesn’t want to fight the heroes. However a stigmata exists in the Kingdom where they unjustly believe those born with black hair are dark and sinister or cursed. This discrimination isn’t as bad in other countries.

You find the above out in the beginning of the story.
本好きの下剋上

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Tanya’s Random Musings

Post by Tanya » 27 Feb 2022, 14:18

Well hair color is actually an interesting topic. Color is used to distinguish characters but hair colors were all light to begin with so no dark blue or actual black hair was used. It was because dark hair colors were difficult to do in the traditional way to create anime back before computer or digital artwork took over animations for anime.

Though black as a color is often used in anime to symbolize demonic or dark powers. It does make sense. Even in western it is. So it’s not a far stretch to use hair color as something that matches one’s affinity for mana.

Mana is something many various Japanese media uses to state what is used or the resource that creates magic phenomena.

So hair color would be used and has been often to emphasize part of a character’s personality.
本好きの下剋上

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Tanya’s Random Musings

Post by Tanya » 27 Feb 2022, 14:37

An interesting development in light novels started about 6 months ago. So it’s still in it’s infancy stage. But they have started publishing audio books for light novels.

Youjo Senki which I hope is obvious by my username on AL is one of my favorite Light novels/ Anime has the first 2 of the current 9 light novels published and a third one will be published next month.

Interesting enough they managed to get Monica Rial to read the first volume. She does the voice acting for Tanya in the English dubbed anime. So that’s pretty cool. The second and third are not by her though so it’s doubtful besides the first volume the others will not be read by her. The 2nd and 3rd are read by the same person which a little research shows have narrated many books. I purchased the first book and it’s narrated well. I haven’t finished listening to it yet, but I’ll finish it soon. I hope I enjoy the second book too.
本好きの下剋上