Rank the Elder Scrolls game from worst to best

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Jongriffin
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Jongriffin » 17 Sep 2021, 17:16

Rank the Elder Scrolls games from worst to best. If you haven't played all five (I'm not counting ESO or the spin off games), then just rank the ones you have played. Here's my list.

Daggerfall: The second Elder Scrolls game is the worst. Part of the enjoyment, for me, with Elder Scrolls is being able to explore. But Daggerfall's map is so huge that exploration is a chore. It all looks the same, and it's hard to run into a random dungeon or town. You have to look on your map and fast travel. Once I chose to travel to a town without fast traveling. And in the hours it took me to get to the town, I only came across one town and one dungeon by accident. The guilds are a chore in this game, and not very fun to play. Leveling up is a chore. The whole game feels broken.

Arena: Many might be surprised that I find the first game to be better than Daggerfall, but I do. Arena is very simple, with very few options in the way of side quests and no guilds. The map is even bigger than Daggerfall's. However, unlike the second game, you can wonder aimlessly in Arena and find random dungeons. In other words, exploring is a lot better and more satisfactory in Area. Arena did more with less.

Tie: Oblivion and Skyrim: I can't say if a like Oblivion more or Skyrim more. There are things they both do better and things they both do worse. Oblivion has wonderful dungeons, the better thieve's guild quest line, more diverse towns, and a better main quest. Skyrim is better with random encounters (making traveling more enjoyable), more natural dialogue (for the most part), a better fighters guild with the Companions, better combat, and a better leveling system. Both games have great expansion packs.

Morrowind: Morrowind was not the first Elder Scrolls game I played. That honor goes to Oblivion. So without nostalgia goggles, I can say I personally find it to be wonderful. The lore is intriguing. It has the best main quest of any of the games. The fighter's guild is great. The landscape is alien and mystical, like something you would read out of a Brandon Sanderson book. I even find the leveling and the difficulty to be perfect.

HamzahQu
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by HamzahQu » 19 Oct 2021, 01:45

Morrowind - For overall story and vision
 Oblivion - For quests and sense of occasion
 Skyrim - For gameplay, UI and general immersion

(In my opinion, the combat in skyrim is complete garbage compared to ESO. ESO definitely has the best game play.