Hi everyone!

Introduce yourself, learn the ropes of our community, and ask questions! || Also check out the guidebook here.

Moderators: Ttosk, Teeny, Wheely Sweet

klaudia
Great Britain

Achievements

Hi everyone!

Post by klaudia » 28 Jul 2021, 06:38

Yulyeong wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 15:14
Revillo Phoenix wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 14:27

Tbh, DnD 5E is a nice entry level game that can be simple to play but has complexity to master. Thou personally I think it is best if you grab some people you at least know to some extent to get the group together. I personally haven't tried to apply to games of total strangers on Roll20, but it is a thing that can be done on there too.
It took a lot of getting used to, especially setting up lighting etc. The one thing I found with us being a group of players new to D&D in general it did make people play it more like a table top game than a role playing game, could just be my group though.

Thanks for your answers, I'll stick to 5E for now then. The hard part is that I don't really know anyone who plays/would like to play so I think I will have to rely on strangers at least until I make some more geeky friends haha! Yeah I was wondering if getting a group of people who know absolutely nothing wouldn't be a self-sabotage of sorts, as there wouldn't be anyone to kind of guide us through it. I guess a more experienced DM could help with this? I found a lot of groups who are accepting new players on roll20, but most of them are in the US, so the time zones didn't quite work, but I will keep looking!

Wheely Sweet
Mysterious Member
Mysterious Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Hi everyone!

Post by Wheely Sweet » 28 Jul 2021, 14:03

Hi @klaudia welcome to Anime League :)

Feel free to message me if you have any questions or you want to chat. I hope you enjoy it here :)
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online

Find me here - https://linktr.ee/WheelySweet

Want to join the AL team? Click here to find out about becoming an assistant
Come say hi in Entrance Lounge and join in our events! || My Journal

klaudia
Great Britain

Achievements

Hi everyone!

Post by klaudia » 29 Jul 2021, 05:37

Wheely Sweet wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 14:03
Hi @klaudia welcome to Anime League :)

Feel free to message me if you have any questions or you want to chat. I hope you enjoy it here :)

Thanks! I hope so too :)

Revillo Phoenix
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Hi everyone!

Post by Revillo Phoenix » 29 Jul 2021, 05:49

klaudia wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 06:38
Yulyeong wrote:
Revillo Phoenix wrote:
Tbh, DnD 5E is a nice entry level game that can be simple to play but has complexity to master. Thou personally I think it is best if you grab some people you at least know to some extent to get the group together. I personally haven't tried to apply to games of total strangers on Roll20, but it is a thing that can be done on there too.
It took a lot of getting used to, especially setting up lighting etc. The one thing I found with us being a group of players new to D&D in general it did make people play it more like a table top game than a role playing game, could just be my group though. 

Thanks for your answers, I'll stick to 5E for now then. The hard part is that I don't really know anyone who plays/would like to play so I think I will have to rely on strangers at least until I make some more geeky friends haha! Yeah I was wondering if getting a group of people who know absolutely nothing wouldn't be a self-sabotage of sorts, as there wouldn't be anyone to kind of guide us through it. I guess a more experienced DM could help with this? I found a lot of groups who are accepting new players on roll20, but most of them are in the US, so the time zones didn't quite work, but I will keep looking! 

Yeah, a good DM can hold it together for a full set of newbie players, but tbh, everyone starts somewhere. Every DM had their first DM-ing experience at some point, no one started experienced. What you need is someone who is enthusiastic about telling a story. I made my own system back in the day and was pretty much exclusively a DM and never a player for like 10+ years cause I just liked to come up with all the stories and the world my players ran thru.

Yulyeong wrote:
Revillo Phoenix wrote:
klaudia wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 05:42
Revillo Phoenix, Ohh that's cool I will check out roll20 then, maybe find my first game. Thanks! What would you recommend I look at first?

You don't really need to play with dynamic lighting thou, especially not when starting out, just hide what you wanna hide on the gm layer is simple enough for a beginner user
Feel free to chat with me in PM or especially Discord

Yulyeong
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Hi everyone!

Post by Yulyeong » 29 Jul 2021, 08:53

Revillo Phoenix wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 05:49
klaudia wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 06:38
Yulyeong wrote:

Yeah, a good DM can hold it together for a full set of newbie players, but tbh, everyone starts somewhere. Every DM had their first DM-ing experience at some point, no one started experienced. What you need is someone who is enthusiastic about telling a story. I made my own system back in the day and was pretty much exclusively a DM and never a player for like 10+ years cause I just liked to come up with all the stories and the world my players ran thru.

Yulyeong wrote:
Revillo Phoenix wrote:

You don't really need to play with dynamic lighting thou, especially not when starting out, just hide what you wanna hide on the gm layer is simple enough for a beginner user
True enough, I was just a newbie DM trying to add some layer of immersion to my mediocre story telling lol.

klaudia
Great Britain

Achievements

Hi everyone!

Post by klaudia » 29 Jul 2021, 14:15

Revillo Phoenix, yeah you're right, I always thought of DMs as some OP entities with years of experience, but it's true everyone goes through that first time at some point.

Yulyeong, hey, at least you tried haha :sweatdrop:

What do ya'll think about Call of Cthulhu RPG? Is it any good for the first time? I actually got an invite to join a group of players on their CoC campaign :)

Yulyeong
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Hi everyone!

Post by Yulyeong » 29 Jul 2021, 15:41

@klaudia I’ve never played it, but c’thulu mythos stuff is generally awesome. I’m glad you got an invite to a group! Give it a try and hopefully you’ll have tons of fun!

Revillo Phoenix
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Hi everyone!

Post by Revillo Phoenix » 30 Jul 2021, 01:30

klaudia wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 14:15
Revillo Phoenix, yeah you're right, I always thought of DMs as some OP entities with years of experience, but it's true everyone goes through that first time at some point.

What do ya'll think about Call of Cthulhu RPG? Is it any good for the first time? I actually got an invite to join a group of players on their CoC campaign :)

I haven't played it but I know of it. From what I know, CoC can be very hard for a story teller cause to play that system properly, it usually involve a lot of investigation and stuff, meaning that the story teller has to be ready with a lot of lore (Literally a library worth of lore cause the players are very likely to go to a library sooner or later to investigate and read up on stuff), including unimportant lore (cause if only important stuff is created, then there is not much investigation and logic needed to figure out what to do, you just follow the clues in the only lore that was ready). Also, the reason why a lot of investigation and RP is in general typical for CoC is cause the system is very very lethal, even basic monsters like a zombie or ghoul can easily murder players, not to mention something medium like a hound of tindalos or whatever, that shit is like an epic boss fight where part or all of the party is very very likely to die...don't even think about fighting great old ones lol, they only really show up on the game over screen. :P
Feel free to chat with me in PM or especially Discord

klaudia
Great Britain

Achievements

Hi everyone!

Post by klaudia » 30 Jul 2021, 05:55

Revillo Phoenix wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 01:30
klaudia wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 14:15

I haven't played it but I know of it. From what I know, CoC can be very hard for a story teller cause to play that system properly, it usually involve a lot of investigation and stuff, meaning that the story teller has to be ready with a lot of lore (Literally a library worth of lore cause the players are very likely to go to a library sooner or later to investigate and read up on stuff), including unimportant lore (cause if only important stuff is created, then there is not much investigation and logic needed to figure out what to do, you just follow the clues in the only lore that was ready). Also, the reason why a lot of investigation and RP is in general typical for CoC is cause the system is very very lethal, even basic monsters like a zombie or ghoul can easily murder players, not to mention something medium like a hound of tindalos or whatever, that shit is like an epic boss fight where part or all of the party is very very likely to die...don't even think about fighting great old ones lol, they only really show up on the game over screen. :P

Dark and brutal, I like it ;] Yeah from what I've read the campaigns can be set much more on role playing because of how weak characters are and that apparently there are no classes, it's much more like real life in many aspects. I guess it might be really interesting if the GM really has come up with a good story and setting, now I'm curious to give it a go just to see how he's done it! Their game has been ongoing for 18 months so I hope this is a good sign.

Yulyeong, yeah I'll definitely do that! Funnily enough I even own a book of Lovecraft's stories but I couldn't get into it for the life of me. The language was just too difficult and I kept losing track of what was going on so ever since then I kind of became cautious of anything connected to it lol I guess I didn't like the feeling of defeat haha

Yulyeong
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Hi everyone!

Post by Yulyeong » 30 Jul 2021, 08:02

@klaudia Not going to lie, I did the exact same thing lol. Bought the book because it looked cool tried reading and went Na I’ll watch YouTube for this stuff :P

klaudia
Great Britain

Achievements

Hi everyone!

Post by klaudia » 31 Jul 2021, 08:51

Yulyeong, ahh so glad I'm not alone. Feeling a bit better about myself now hahah :XD:

Yulyeong
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Hi everyone!

Post by Yulyeong » 31 Jul 2021, 09:55

klaudia wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 08:51
Yulyeong, ahh so glad I'm not alone. Feeling a bit better about myself now hahah :XD:
Oh no you're certainly not alone :P I am a grade A derp lol

Elgood81
Nep-Nep Member
Nep-Nep Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Hi everyone!

Post by Elgood81 » 19 Sep 2021, 22:15

klaudia wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 05:42
Thanks for the replies, everyone!
weeabooweegee, I think Code Geass will always hold a special place in my heart! What about you?
Welcome to AL klaudia, If your into Code Geass I'm currently airing it on Nepflix and Chill, My show on Anime leagues Twitch channel. The next show is on tuesday 21/09/21 @9pm(gmt) @ Anime League Livestreams
Feel free to tune in and watch anime with us
ImageImage
Made By HentaiSenpai
  Spoiler: