What are your favorite opening scenes or opening cinematic?

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Post by Emotive » 27 Apr 2021, 01:26

I just wondered about making a thread like this to see what everyone's favorite video game opening movie (cinematic and/or cut-scene) is. I'm only asking what your favorite opening is though, not any other scenes. I'm talking either cut-scene or opening cinematic, or a combination of both, but just the one you see right before the title screen and/or the one you see after starting a New Game since the one that plays at the title screen can be different from the one that plays after you actually select New Game. OR the movie that plays after idling at the title screen for a while because those can be pretty awesome too. Let's have fun and show the appreciation we have for our favorite video game openings. ^_^ It seems like it clutters the post a little bit too after seeing a preview of my post, so I'll be putting the videos in spoiler tags so there isn't as much to scroll through. 

What are all of your favorites, fellow gamers? ^_^

DMC1's title screen movie and New Game opening are ones I'll always love:
  Spoiler:  

I like the DMC2 New Game video and opening movie too:
  Spoiler:  

DMC3's were a little too similar, I liked how DMC1's and DMC2's were different from their New Game opening cinematic more than 3's but it's still an awesome opening. I LOVED how Vergil had a different opening though than Dante, but really wished he had more scenes like that:
  Spoiler:  

DMC4's original opening that played after idling at the Title Screen was awesome. Nero's opening and all of the Special Edition's opening movies were awesome, but the added scenes you could see by turning on the Tutorial in the options were pretty epic too. I loved Special Edition's movie for Lady/Trish and Vergil too:
  Spoiler:  

DMC5 Opening movie (I still haven't seen the Vergil one that I'm told there though but I'll most likely be putting a video up of it in here when I do lol):
  Spoiler:  

Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage has an opening cinematic that I ALWAYS watch each and every time I play the game.
  Spoiler:  

FFX's iconic opening is always worth the watch too and one of my favorites:
  Spoiler:  

One of my favorite ones of all time, Chaos Legion even though the title screen idle video is the same one you see when you start a New Game it's still awesome:
  Spoiler:  

Tales of Berseria opening animation (I can't find the opening dialog between Velvet, Laphicet and Arthur and apparently I can't record it either on my PS4 but I love the opening dialog between them after the animation):
  Spoiler:  

Bleach: Soul Resurreccion has an epic opening animation that makes me feel nostalgic of the days watching the anime, and one of my favorites:
  Spoiler:  

Final Fantasy VIII has a classic FMV that I've always loved and still turn the volume up as much as I can without breaking my audio equipment every time I start a new game:
  Spoiler:  

Vagrant Story has character all its own, but the opening FMV at the title screen is one I always watch and never skip, no matter how many times I keep re-playing it. Then the scenes that play if you let the title screen idle for a short while:
  Spoiler:  

Rayl
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rayl » 27 Apr 2021, 09:27

You can't talk about game openings without talking about Onimusha 3, one of the best ever.

Spoiler:  

Meanwhile, back in 1999, Sonic Adventure was giving everybody massive amounts of hype with it's intro.

Spoiler:  

Say what you will about Sonic Unleashed as a game but it too had an amazing intro cinematic.

Spoiler:  

Looking back on this, it's a hilarious stupid intro that somebody made after watching the Matrix but Resident Evil Code Veronica's intro is still pretty damn good regardless.

Spoiler:  

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Post by Emotive » 28 Apr 2021, 21:16

Rayl wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 09:27
You can't talk about game openings without talking about Onimusha 3, one of the best ever.

Spoiler:  

Meanwhile, back in 1999, Sonic Adventure was giving everybody massive amounts of hype with it's intro.

Spoiler:  

Say what you will about Sonic Unleashed as a game but it too had an amazing intro cinematic.

Spoiler:  

Looking back on this, it's a hilarious stupid intro that somebody made after watching the Matrix but Resident Evil Code Veronica's intro is still pretty damn good regardless.

Spoiler:  
I love the Onimusha 3 opening, but I love almost anything that has a good ninja element to it so I might be a tad biased. :sweatdrop:

Sonic Unleashed had a pretty awesome intro from the looks of it. I don't think I'd heard of it until now though but I'm wishing I had heard of it before now.

RE: Code Veronica's intro really is reminiscent of that scene from The Matrix. lol Still an awesome opening though.

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 01 May 2021, 20:53

The stand out one for me is probably Borderlands 2. Its just so kick ass and the music is great!

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 02 May 2021, 03:01

a classic

Spoiler:  

Baul
White Member
White Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Baul » 03 May 2021, 03:22

Half-Life 2's intro is iconic as all hell. Pretty sure I have the entire monologue burned into my brain at this point. The GMan's speech pattern really makes this perfectly. It's just so off and strange. Wouldn't nearly be as iconic if it weren't for just how enigmatic GMan is.
  Spoiler:  

>OBSERVER_ Simple, sets the tone perfectly. Gives a perfect lore hit.

Metal Gear Solid 4. Sad, depressing and powerful.
  Spoiler:  

Dark Souls coming in with the only real bit of lore explicitly given to the player.
  Spoiler:  

Silent Hill 2. Perfectly malencholic music. Shows you just enough scenes from the game to get you intrigued. But not enough context to give you the plot. That intro and outro dialogue really makes it. Honestly, SH2 might be THE greatest horror experience ever crafted. Symbolism everywhere, deliberately dodgy VAing to give this "Off" feeling to everything, the plot, characters. I love it.
  Spoiler:  

Silent Hill 2's Opening Cutscene. Again, draws you in with a really nice shot of Toluca Lake, the dialogue, the mystery and the music. Really draws you in.
  Spoiler:  

HELLBLADE: Senua's Sacrifice. You really need to watch this with headphones to get the full effect. It does a really good job at letting you in on Senua's Psychosis and the voices she hears. Also does a great job at showing off the desolate and hostile land of Hel. It really lets it sink in what Senua's getting herself into.
  Spoiler:  

I'll throw this in for Hellblade as well. Part of the intro. Extremely well crafted. Though legitimate spoilers in the description and comments.
  Spoiler:  
Mark my words
They will be gone
You'll see them playing games, my dear
They've moved along
Cause one day in the afterlife
We'll meet again
Prophecies - Blind Guardian

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 06 May 2021, 23:12

Smash Bros Brawl's opening still makes me tear up a bit. so nostalgic!

Spoiler:  

Also glad to see Sonic Adventure mentioned, that has the same impact on me!
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 09 May 2021, 00:14

Fight me! Abe's Oddysee intro :)

~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~