Reading manga is too exhausting

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

TrashM
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by TrashM » 23 Dec 2020, 16:21

Why does reading manga have to be so confusing? Why don't all the speech bubbles point to the character that is speaking? How am I supposed to know who's saying what? Having the bubbles just simply closer to the person is stupid, and because of that it takes me longer than I should to read these things. This is why I don't read manga, they are not enjoying to read.
"Do not store up for yourselvs treasures on Earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where theives break in and steal".

Matthew 6:19

melanch0lic
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by melanch0lic » 23 Dec 2020, 16:22

each to their own i guess; i can certainly see where you're coming from, but for most people here manga isn't seen as a chore to complete but i felt the same whilst reading The Slayers novels for example whereas other series weren't that bad!
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online

Nuggies
Black Member
Black Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nuggies » 23 Dec 2020, 16:25

When I first started reading manga, it was a bit confusing but that was years ago and it was pretty quick to get used to. Actually find I read it faster and easier than anything else these days.

Vivix
Veteran Member
Puerto Rico

Achievements

Post by Vivix » 25 Dec 2020, 00:49

Once you read a lot of manga, it become second nature and its fairly easy to know who is talking.

Nuggies
Black Member
Black Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nuggies » 25 Dec 2020, 04:17

Vivix wrote:
25 Dec 2020, 00:49
Once you read a lot of manga, it become second nature and its fairly easy to know who is talking.

Yep. Pretty much this.

AMCApril
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by AMCApril » 25 Dec 2020, 21:59

manga can be complex to read also cause it goes from right to left instead of left to right
your eyes have to follow it in a weird way
i got to used to it for the most part
CREDIT FOR SIG - Catacombs

WAYS TO CONTACT/FIND ME -
  Spoiler:  

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Post by Tanya » 26 Dec 2020, 18:02

I do find reading manga to be exhausting just for a different reason.

I never had an issue reading manga or figuring out which character is speaking. Maybe when I first started. However, I don’t remember reading it being a problem.

In general I just find manga to lack description and details. The images don’t portray enough and as a result I find manga lacking in story depth and therefore boring. I’ve read a variety of manga too. Not a lot since I find text books more interesting to read.

Thankfully there are light novels which don’t lack story depth.
本好きの下剋上

tranmycuu
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by tranmycuu » 28 Dec 2020, 13:00

Depending on the type of manga, there are bubble manga that will point the character directly.

Ekkun
Standard Member
Spain

Achievements

Post by Ekkun » 31 Dec 2020, 17:01

:omnom:
I'm beeing readig manga for over 20years now, at first, its pages where mirrowed as to appear as any other occidental comic…
then late 90's Publishers started publishibg as orientalreading format for several reasons.... :=D: :dance:

and I get habituated very quick, so, yep. it depends on the series…, but in general, isn't that much complicate ones you have read enough volumes / series.

:smoke: :smoke:
貴族院の自称図書委員 :smoke:
The Royal Academy Library is under the the administration of royalty, ​and its books are subsequently the property of royalty.
Those who do not return their books before leaving the Academy will be deemed criminals, and their Aub will be informed of this in the name of the King.
From that point, we will activate the contract magic, for the vow of Mestionora the goddess of wisdom will have been broken.
:nod:

| 歩歩歩歩歩歩歩歩歩 | 
|  角     飛    |
| 香桂銀金王金銀桂香 |

My Army is ready! ... but, what about yours?

Spoiler:  
My Nintendo Switch Friend code: 5732-2848-3981

Keilonrich22
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Keilonrich22 » 05 Jan 2021, 11:39

I never really had that problem with Japanese manga I have with some webtoon and Korean manga that I read so I get were your coming from.
Keilonrich22
Master Otaku  Image

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 07 Jan 2021, 11:54

Once I got past the idea that kinda like reading a comic book backwards I found reading manga quite easy to pick up. Dont really read near as enough manga than most people on this forum so i am not sure if there is a case that some manga may be harder to read than others? As in it might be harder to distinguish the order of the dialogue because there might be more on a page, for example?

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

lambda-sky
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by lambda-sky » 08 Jan 2021, 09:00

HeyitsLesbianCuddles wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 11:54
As in it might be harder to distinguish the order of the dialogue because there might be more on a page, for example?
Some manga could also just be badly made.
And translation might be hard because japanese can be very concise sometimes so there's not a lot of space to squeeze english words.
And some publishers like Dark Horse "flop" the pages so everything goes left to right like english readers expect but now all the characters are suddenly left handed and can get confusing too.

Nuggies
Black Member
Black Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nuggies » 14 Jan 2021, 06:43

Any English translation worth its weight will tell you the order to read to save on confusion.

hype1980
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by hype1980 » 23 Jan 2021, 14:15

I dont have an issue with reading manga in terms of confusion, but prefer anime for fight sequences as you dont have to use your imagination so much :haha:

Nuggies
Black Member
Black Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nuggies » 23 Jan 2021, 16:00

Haha, the issue I have with reading the manga after the seeing the anime is that all I see is what I watched now :lol: