Why can't people just get along?

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Biggkenny
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Biggkenny » 16 Jul 2020, 14:21

Buta wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 15:17
The investment makes some people more defensive or just want to shoot new things down instead of celebrating the innovation.

I remember when Playstation first turned up and most Mega Drive owners I knew felt threatened by it.

In short, this happens because people are insecure.

I think for a lot of people it is some kind of Sunk Cost Fallacy, but I think the main thing is not wanting to split friendship groups. Consoles have kind of done that already and it really sucks. You can play Game 1 on console A with your friends, or Game 2 on Console B alone. Game 2 may be a better game but you might have a better experience in Game 1 because your friends will be playing it with you.

I feel especially sorry for the people who came from poorer families as they wouldn't be able to swap over to the new console with the rest of their friends due to finances.

I understand why companies try to build loyalty but I don't quite understand how people fall for it. Consoles are all basically the same, it's only about the games, so the exclusives and friendship groups should be the only considerations.

~Biggkenny~

lambda-sky
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by lambda-sky » 29 Jul 2020, 11:59

Biggkenny wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 14:21
I understand why companies try to build loyalty but I don't quite understand how people fall for it. Consoles are all basically the same, it's only about the games, so the exclusives and friendship groups should be the only considerations.
You also have the fox and grapes effect.
"It's not like I want a super cool N64 to play Pokemon Stadium. It has nothing to do with my parents not letting me because I already have a Playstation. Nintendo is a dumb platform anyway. Platstation is technically superior. You're just jealous of my CD drive. Cry more Nintendotard. B-baka."
t. 8 year old Lambda

Citizen
Mysterious Member
Mysterious Member
United States of America

Post by Citizen » 29 Jul 2020, 20:09

I dunno, I had two N64s and a PlayStation when they were new, and the N64 actually was a subpar system with bad controllers and a shallow library.

So that example doesn't track.

Jas
Retrospective Member
Retrospective Member
United States of America

Post by Jas » 30 Jul 2020, 04:55

Yeah the n64 controllers were absolutely shitty. Nintendo never really got it right, either. GameCube controllers, despite being made to conform to the general form of the contemporary systems, were still not comfortable. Nintendo has made a habit of over-innovation. Wii controllers were novel but annoying under most situations. I will concede that I generally like the switch controllers though.

On the other hand, the playstation controller has always felt the most comfortable to me of all the consoles I've played. Xbox controllers are starting to give them a run for their money.

More to the point, though, I was a nintendork for most of my life, and in fact still am. I also really enjoy playstation. And pc gaming. They each have their place. But saying that they're all the same is an inaccurate oversimplification.

Citizen
Mysterious Member
Mysterious Member
United States of America

Post by Citizen » 30 Jul 2020, 05:22

Honestly the console wars have cooled down a lot this generation. You still get Nintoddler vs. Brony trolling but that's about it, and not even as often as in the past. People know that Nintendo is going to do their own shit at this point. Like you said, they really aren't even comparable. Which is exactly Nintendo's aim, and they're doing fine with it.

And people stopped bothering to mock the XBO years ago, because it's beating a dead horse. It's like taking a swipe at the Atari 5200 or the Virtual Boy.

Biggkenny
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Biggkenny » 30 Jul 2020, 08:02

Jas wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 04:55
But saying that they're all the same is an inaccurate oversimplification.

I was really referencing xbox vs playstation here and I will stand by that. I dont count Nintendo as being a part of the "console wars" as they dont release their consoles at the same time and they arent in the same price tier.

~Biggkenny~

lambda-sky
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by lambda-sky » 30 Jul 2020, 21:23

Citizen wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 20:09
I dunno, I had two N64s and a PlayStation when they were new, and the N64 actually was a subpar system with bad controllers and a shallow library.
I only had a Playstation. :shrug:
Nintendo platforms could give you spontaneous electric shocks at random intervals and it wouldn't matter. The fact that they were the only ones who had Pokemon was a good enough reason to want one.

Jas
Retrospective Member
Retrospective Member
United States of America

Post by Jas » 01 Aug 2020, 04:00

lambda-sky wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 21:23
Citizen wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 20:09
I only had a Playstation. :shrug:
Nintendo platforms could give you spontaneous electric shocks at random intervals and it wouldn't matter. The fact that they were the only ones who had Pokemon was a good enough reason to want one.
definitely one of their more popular franchises, yeah.

lambda-sky
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by lambda-sky » 01 Aug 2020, 12:27

Jas wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 04:00
definitely one of their more popular franchises, yeah.
Not going to lie, Lara's boobs were a factor i my decision. :<3:

How was Pokemon stadium in the end? I've still never played it.

Citizen
Mysterious Member
Mysterious Member
United States of America

Post by Citizen » 01 Aug 2020, 17:19

The Stadium games were great.

TrashM
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by TrashM » 02 Aug 2020, 16:54

It's consooomer mentality. They have nothing better to argue about so they take part in parasocial relationships with big coporations for satisfiying their consoomer lifestyles becauz they're sad losers.
"Do not store up for yourselvs treasures on Earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where theives break in and steal".

Matthew 6:19