Accents and local slang

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Hallideus

Re: Accents and local slang

Post by Hallideus » 18 Jul 2016, 19:56

It happens, man. It's funny over here in that accents change so much in such short distances.
Tell yous what, http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Us70mxqKIP just reciting some of the words to "Orgasmatron" by Motorhead.

HerMajestyTheQueenOfFunk
Standard Member
Canada

Achievements

Post by HerMajestyTheQueenOfFunk » 19 Jul 2016, 01:03

Hallideus wrote:There is but that's really limited to the list and leaves out some of the funnier ones, I've been questioned over the way I say "Butter" and so on. :'D

Yeah, didn't even have to say 'out and about'.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Saints Flow
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Saints Flow » 19 Jul 2016, 02:59

My parents are New Yorkers and never fully picked up the Mid-Atlantic PA thing, so occasionally I'll let a New York accent slip. Other than that I'm not sure how to actually describe my accent since I grew up around people who had a number of different ones.

And now I live in this shitty tiny town where people saw "mawn-ten" and "Thursdee". Drives me up a goddamn wall.
radical ed is a treasure

Cmartins
Veteran Member

Post by Cmartins » 19 Jul 2016, 20:58

Well, just for fun, I did the same as you [mention=63388]Hallideus[/mention] ...
Come on, be gentle, It is not my first language (I hope that this is a good excuse) :sweatdrop:
Motörhead - Orgasmatron recited by me :=D:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0iy9JzEGFNh
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hallideus

Post by Hallideus » 19 Jul 2016, 21:26

Cmartins wrote:Well, just for fun, I did the same as you @<a href="http://www.animeleague.net/forum/member.php?u=63388" target="_blank">Hallideus</a> ...
Come on, be gentle, It is not my first language (I hope that this is a good excuse) :sweatdrop:
Motörhead - Orgasmatron recited by me :=D:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0iy9JzEGFNh

For something not your first language you did well, man. Really! I've actually sang and performed this song a few times so I have an upper hand.
[video=youtube;d5qym7ER274]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5qym7ER274[/video] here's a spoken word version of the song as an intro before it kicks in.

Papa Jupiter
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Papa Jupiter » 19 Jul 2016, 23:02

General American.

Moulders
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Moulders » 20 Jul 2016, 09:20

My normal accent is known as Pitmatic which is spoken in the Durham areas such as Fishburn and Kelloe.

The neet before aw went to wark
A warld of wonders cross'd me brain
Though wilk they did se skelp and yark
As if ma wits had run amain

Aw thought th'time wad ne'er be gyen
That callen-course wad never come
And when the caller call'd at yen
Aw'd getten neither sleep nor slum

Aw lap up nimmel as a flea -
Or lop, amang wor blankets spangen
And i' the twinklen of an e'e
Was fairly ower the bedstock bangen

But usually I talk in a telephone voice.
"Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight on to the end."

Earl Douglas Haig, Order to the British Army, 12 April 1918

So death, the most terrifying of ills, is nothing to us, since so long as we exist, death is not with us; but when death comes, then we do not exist. It does not then concern either the living or the dead, since the former it is not, and the latter are no more.

Epicurus Letter to Menoeceus

Deviette
Standard Member
Great Britain

Post by Deviette » 25 Jul 2016, 08:37

So as I'm from Surrey I have pretty much one of those "proper" accents that people talk about (which added to my very floofy curly hair on occasion lead me to gaining the nickname hermione at uni ¬__¬ ). Although spending 4 years in Swansea have given me a few mannerisms and slang that are a little Welsh (eg: "buzzin'", "steamin'", putting 'mind' at the end of sentences, shouting 'OH' to get someone's attention, "yaright?" as a greeting and not a question, saying 'year' to rhyme with 'her', cwtch) And for some reason went I get drunk I suddenly gain a bit of a welsh accent for no reason what so ever. Although there was a moment in my first year at uni that I had to make a conscious effort to not gain a welsh accent, because I could hear myself sounding very welsh and I didn't really want to loose my actual accent :/
Didn't stop everyone in the summer telling me I sounded super welsh though @_@

Going back to the three/free pronunciation thing, it slightly irritates me that at some point my brother started pronouncing it free (when the rest of us in the family have always pronounced the 'th') It doesn't even make sense because he went to uni in stoke on trent and they're supposed to favour the 'th' sound, I wonder if one of his friend dropped the th and that's why he now does it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Eternal0snow92
Standard Member
Great Britain

Post by Eternal0snow92 » 16 Jan 2018, 10:17

I am British, but I was originally from Leicestershire. But now I'm in the country I have more of Norfolk variety of accents. Depending who I spend time with I generally start taking that. xD Although Some words I can't help but sound Leicester-ish by saying words like Bath, or Grass, muddy puddle XD. Although sometimes I do slip up the occasional Leicester accent and say 'How much shiz it.' xD
[indent]London + Norwich +Birmingham + Lecistershire Conventions.
--
NORFOLK, UK BASED COSPLAYER =)
--
[/indent]

[indent]I cosplay as Under-taker & Mayrim from black butler, Kakashi & Hinata Hyuga from Naruto Shippuden (last movie)
Always looking for friends!
[/indent]

[indent]

[/indent]

LordSchmee
Veteran Member
Japan

Achievements

Post by LordSchmee » 17 Jan 2018, 13:51

The first thing I noticed after returning from Japan was how thick my accent was, as I'd had to force myself to "speak proper" so that everyone else could understand me.

It was actually kinda surreal, in its way. And even then, I don't usually speak very thickly Glaswegian anyway, for similar reasons as you've described, [mention=63388]Hallideus[/mention].

I do have a few friends I'm more able to speak that way with, though.

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 18 Jan 2018, 01:15

People have told me in the past they can tell I'm from the west coast, though I can't characterize what a west coast accent is except by hearing it compared to any other regional accent.

But I do use hella.
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

Zwei
Standard Member
Great Britain

Post by Zwei » 22 Jan 2018, 05:41

I live in Liverpool so I fit the stereo type for use of slang words in a social standpoint, the accent is not as strong. I can understand the op my grandparents used to and still do correct me if I say a word the wrong way and rightly so in a professional work place you nerd to make sure what, how and your body language is reflective of what you want to say.

Luffynatsu87
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Luffynatsu87 » 03 May 2020, 08:30

I dont have accent lol well i dont think i do

WorldIsMine
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by WorldIsMine » 04 May 2020, 19:25

oh a revived thread let's look at the posts

oh, hallideus, what a tragic tale (not really)

anyways, my accent is bland and plain and i'm stuck in an accent deadzone

Moulders
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Moulders » 05 May 2020, 00:50

WorldIsMine wrote:
oh, hallideus, what a tragic tale (not really)

Please recount me the tale I had always wondered since he lives just like down the road (within 20 miles but we never met)
"Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight on to the end."

Earl Douglas Haig, Order to the British Army, 12 April 1918

So death, the most terrifying of ills, is nothing to us, since so long as we exist, death is not with us; but when death comes, then we do not exist. It does not then concern either the living or the dead, since the former it is not, and the latter are no more.

Epicurus Letter to Menoeceus