[WRITING] Miscellanea's Misbegotten Daughter (c)

Whether you're a writer, cosplayer, crafter, traditional/digital artist or photographer - anything creative is welcome!

Moderators: lolin, PharaohAtem, Sirena

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 02 May 2021, 03:40

I'm trying. I'm debating letting Toothpick and the gang out from their lockdown.

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 10 May 2021, 03:50

SAMIZDAT RPG - SPACE
CHIMAERA

The Chimaera Program was an experiment to genetically combine human and animal DNA to create an intelligent cross-breed that could survive in more challenging environments. Originally envisioned for interplanetary survey and 'search and rescue' operations, they are sometimes recruited for military ops.

Homo Chimaeras possess human intelligence as well as skeletal/muscular changes that allow them to walk upright and to use tools made for human hands. Their voice boxes were also modified genetically to allow them to make human speech. However, most retain their animal heritage appearances, so prefer to wear clothing for both modesty and to help identify themselves as an intelligent being.

Official classifications include:

homo chimaera canis - Human/Wolf crossbreed. Average height/weight: males 5' 6", 100 lbs; females 5', 90 lbs.

homo chimaera panthera - Human/Panther crossbreed. Average height/weight: males 5' 6", 120 lbs; females 5' 90 lbs.

homo chimaera pithecophaga - Human/Eagle crossbreed. Average height males 37.5", females 42". Weigh ranges from 12-20 lbs, with an average wingspan of 75-85 inches. Tiny hands at the carpal joint allow them to manipulate tools, but use their feet and beaks for heavy lifting. Typically wear a cloth or mesh chest harness for carrying small items and cameras, approximately five pounds being their natural carry limit in standard gravity. Pithecophagans have a shorter natural lifespan, approximately 60 years.

homo chimaera pongo - Human/Orangutan crossbreed. Average height/weight: males 5' 9", 260 lbs; females 4' 2"; 100 lbs.

homo chimaera taxidea taxus - Human/Badger crossbreed. Average height/weight - Males 3', 31 lbs; Females: 2' 10", 30 lbs.

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 25 May 2021, 19:13

Rebmemer, my demon says, and so I do
Each and every face
The horror and the pain
While the others watch
Until I scream and scream again

Ybab roop, my demon coos
Stroking the scars,
Picking at the bandages
It's the ones you can't see
That hurt the most

Tluaf ruoy ton s'ti,
My demon smiles
While the possibilities parade on by
All the choices I didn't make
All the paths I didn't take

Sdnah eseht hsaw s'tel,
As she shows me the blood
Only she and I can see
No matter how many times
I scrub them raw

I can feel the others wake
A demon for each flaw
Settling down by my well
To slake their thirst
On my tears and pain

There are pills for those who can get them
And booze for those who can't
Or something sharp to spill the blood
All so we can forget
But only for a while

Our demons wait patiently
For their toy to be ready
Once more to remember
Once more to regret
Once more to drink the pain

Don't listen to the demons
No power in their whispers
No pain for them to inflict
No need for them to strike
When we're willing to play their game.

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 19 Jun 2021, 01:00

VSTC - Arcadia X-ray X-Ray Delta Niner Niner Zero, this is Vesta Space Traffic Control, you are clear to go to hyperspace. Acknowledge.
ARCADIA - Affirmative, Traffic Control. We have condition green.
VSTC - Niner niner zero, roger. You're looking good for trans-light.

VSTC - Niner niner zero, this is Vesta Space Traffic Control, we have a problem on your vector. Request status check, over.

VFC - Arcadia, this is Vesta Flight Control, you have a course deviation at five mark six. Acknowledge.
VSTC - Arcadia, we show condition red. Confirm.
VFC - What's going on out there?!

VSTC - Niner niner zero, this is Vesta Space Traffic Control. Be advised you have a serious vector deviation. I repeat: serious vector deviation.
VSTC - Arcadia niner niner zero, do you copy?

VFC - This is Vesta Flight Control to all ships in sector five. Be advised Arcadia niner niner zero is off course. All ships squawk ident.

VSTC - Starship Arcadia, this is Vesta Space Traffic Control. Squawk ident. I repeat: squawk ident.

It's been seven years since the disappearance of the New Horizons liner Arcadia.

The Sector Governor has awarded Karmon Academy the M-class planet Nyx in a land grant contract - colonization fees would then help support the Academy. While they have a preliminary survey of the planet, it's decades out of date and has only basic details, so they have decided to do a new survey.

Karmon Academy has signed a contract with the Silent Lady, a converted Magellan-class survey saucer that now works as a tramp freighter to take a team of their students and teachers to Nyx so they can inspect it in greater detail, as who knows what sort of surprises this alien world may hold...?

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 13 Aug 2021, 03:36

Gnome SpringWorks

D&D Equipment: Homebrew

Gnome SpringWorks SpringCell - A replaceable heavy-duty clockwork storage spring that you can swap out in your clockwork devices. SpringCells come in a variety of sizes suitable for various Gnome SpringWorks SpringerTech devices. Each SpringCell can be wound at winding stations scattered throughout the city or rewound at home using our CellWinder unit.

(Warning - when hand winding, it is very important not to exceed the tolerances of the spring. Not responsible for loss of life, limb, or destruction of property with an improperly wound SpringCell)

Gnome SpringWorks SpringerCycle - Gnome SpringWorks has updated the simple bicycle by adding in one of our mid-sized industrial SpringCells, gears and a chain to help propel this device forward at a steady horse trot (8 mph) for hours of use. Easily rewound at any winding station or with the included crank. Now includes brakes!

(Warning - when hand winding, it is very important not to exceed the tolerances of the spring. Not responsible for loss of life, limb, or destruction of property with an improperly wound SpringCell, especially if the safety pawl is removed.)

SpringerCycle (Medium) 125gp 60 ft. 480 lb capacity
SpringerCycle (Small) 80 gp 40 ft. 225 lb. capacity
SpringerCycle Saddlebags 6 gp 10 lbs (requires attachment of a rear frame and different straps.)
SpringerCycle Lantern mounting bracket 5 SP 0.5 lbs (compatible with regular lanterns or the SpringLight Bullseye Lamp)

Gnome SpringWorks SpringLight - A lantern that's powered by a replaceable SpringCell A-Cell providing two hours of bright light that reaches 30 feet and dim light for an additional 30 feet. Never be at the mercy of flammable oil or carbide lanterns again!

Hooded SpringLight (30/60) 2 lbs
Bullseye SpringLight ( cone 60/120) 2 lbs

SpringCell A-Cell weighs 1/4 pound and costs 5 silvers. Recharging an A-Cell at a winding station costs 3 coppers, or 15 minutes with an A-Cell CellWinder (1 lb, 5 gp, cylindrical body with a folding crank handle). Replacement bulbs cost 3 cp.

(Warning - when hand winding, it is very important not to exceed the tolerances of the spring. Not responsible for loss of life, limb, or destruction of property with an improperly wound SpringCell)

Gnome SpringWorks ExpeditionLight - using a small industrial SpringCell inside a wooden frame powers a handheld lamp via a wire cable with a bright light for a radius of 45 feet, and dim light for an additional 45 feet (45/90). Each ExpeditionLight will work for four hours on a full wound charge (30 minutes). For additional utility, the back frame will have attachment points to secure a standard backpack to it.

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 13 Aug 2021, 03:43

Our Lady of Silence
Church of Enigma, goddess of Knowledge (and Trickery)

Emblem: Book and Quill

A young belief system revolving around learning and self-reliance, their members are usually very literate, keen on healthy exercise and life skills. Known primarily for their library, they also operate both an orphanage and a shelter for the homeless. Even those who are outside their system see them as a positive influence in life.

Few outside the order know that the orphanage is training up the boys and girls to become rogues. Mostly because those who talk are often found in a ditch some days later. The children practice their arts within the church itself and hidden underground chambers as well as in the streets. The homeless serve various roles including smuggling and spying.

Head Priestess
Truacum Amena \ Trudy the Cat

This middle-aged woman makes you think of a savvy alley cat. She has silted purple eyes. Her luxurious, straight, red hair is worn in a style that reminds you of a lion's mane. She has a lithe build. Her skin is tan. She has a domed forehead. Her wardrobe is utilitarian, with a lot of blue.

Blind Willie the Beggar \ Brother Willie \ Captain William the Red

This guy makes you think of a randy rabbit when he grins. He has wide chestnut eyes, filmed with gray hidden behind some smoked lenses. He is bald, but used to have luxurious, straight hair the color of chestnuts He is very short and has a boyish build. His skin is deeply tanned, and bears several scars, especially on his back. He has a wide forehead and small hands. His wardrobe is ragged and he carries a stick to tap the ground with.

Despite his blindness, he has a deft touch and can fight with his hidden daggers. Quite adept at languages and claims to have been a sailor before his eyes were cursed (a former pirate captain whose stories still chill the blood). Those in the know will seek Blind Willie out at the shopping district where he sits on a mat with his begging bowl, telling stories. He's the street leader of the orphanage children, and collects their reports.

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 13 Aug 2021, 04:32

Forbidden alley

Forbidden Alley is one of those places you go for "discrete services," as they say, on the edge of the shopping district. It gets its name from the library at the end of the alley. Rumor is that the library was a survivor from the Fall, untouched in all this time. I was told that there used to be two stone golems outside that would tell people it was forbidden to go inside, but their pedestals are bare now. Anyway, the name stuck.

Weird enough, you don't even see the library until you step in the alley. It's a neat trick, must be some sort of spell, which probably keeps out anyone who's only curious. I had a look inside, but all I found was lots of cobwebs and feral cats. Still, I do see people go in from time to time and come out carrying books. Another neat trick, but the unwritten unbreakable rule of Forbidden Alley that I was told is you never interfere with the library patrons. Whatever's going on in there, even the local Watch respects it.

On the northern corner of the alley is a coffee shop. People really love that coffee, I see household servants stepping off the street trolleys with pitchers to bring back to their lords and and ladies. It's good coffee.

It's probably why the Going Out of Business shop is on the southern corner. At least once a month Gerald Cox has someone touching up or replacing his posters in the window so they don't look faded. "30-50% off" they scream in at least four languages, and most importantly, "All sales final!" - and that's important, because everything is marked up 30-50% so really your bargain is no bargain. Rumor has it he waters down the potions to make them "stretch", but I don't know that for sure. Not sure why anyone would want to buy a discount healing potion anyway.

Next to him is Sally's, another local draw. It would be easy to mistake it for a quiet neighborhood tavern, the few times I've been inside it's been very comfortable and the company charming. However, those interested in more... intimate services can climb the spiraling iron staircase to the rooms above. There's been one or two whispered invitations in my ears, but I have my own reasons for declining. I'm sure a few of them in the alley think I'm a spy for the city.

Next to Sally's is the antiques place. I'd think it more of an up-town shop, but weirdly enough this is the only location the dealer can afford. I say weird because of his gift - the man knows when something is genuine or not. The amusing thing is, he's been known to fake up a few pieces himself. if the dealer has any weaknesses , it's antiques and women - in that order.

On the North side of the alley next to the coffee shop is a closed shop filled with books (but not the library). I think it's some sort of book warehouse, but I've no idea whose. There is this one young lady who lives there on the top floor, whose nose seems to be constantly stuck in a book. I see her bringing back books most nights. I wonder if she'll move out when there's no more room?

Next is my building. The ground floor is the alchemist shop, run by Ms. Raven, a half-elf. Every time I pass her store, I can smell the drying herbs and the various spices. Her potions, ointments and salves are well respected from those in the know. The dragon motif however is not like the ones we're familiar with, nor do I recognize the suit of armor and the two curved swords she keeps in a small alcove of the shop. I have a feeling they're native to her land.

Word is, she's the unofficial bank for those who desire a lot of privacy in their banking.

The second floor is "The Bronze Razor," a barber shop that doubles as a doctor and dentist office, with a winged striped pole outside. While the city boasts a great public medicine program, there are those who fear the "public" in "public medicine" means their intimate details may be shared with the city at large, so prefer to visit little clinics like this one.

The third floor is Madame Lydia's, a dressmaker. Apparently so well-sought after that clients are willing to climb two flights of stairs for some of her more intimate offerings.

I have the top floor, so anyone who needs help is usually out of breath from climbing all those stairs. At least you can be sure they're serious. Officially, my job is "Intelligence Gatherer" - meaning I comb through all those tedious details and ask a lot of impertinate questions, sometimes in the not-so pleasant of places. However, it can sometimes mean odd jobs - requests to find lost things or lost love ones, for example. Yes, there's a few for the four-legged kind, but I get plenty of the two-legged variety requests.

For some of these jobs, I rely on various freelancers, who do the actual retrieval while I take a small cut of the fee.

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 14 Aug 2021, 03:12

Needed to update my GnomeWorks to Gnome SpringWorks.

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Post by PharaohAtem » 14 Aug 2021, 21:37

Oooh forbidden alley

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 15 Aug 2021, 03:10

It's just what the locals call it. It's not actually forbidden. Mostly.

Did you like the springworks gear?

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Post by PharaohAtem » 15 Aug 2021, 13:03

Yes it's pretty cool not to mention the lights go pretty far no hiding from that if you e got one rotating in all directions. Not to mention if your on the run itll help you along the way.

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 18 Feb 2022, 17:47

Wings Public House (Pub)

Type of Location: Public House (bar)
Where is it (street or general area): Waterfront districtAppearance: Two-story brick building with the main entrance on Front Street for regular patrons, a small entrance on Vallejo for the Fallen, sometimes called the "Human" entrance. At the north end of Front Street is the door for the Tenant Hallway & stair.

Ground floor: 12 feet high and is separated into four main rooms -
  1. The Front Room has the main entrance. Bar runs along the Western wall of the room, with an overhead rack for beer kegs, uses a basic gravity feed. Bar stools along the length except for the order window on the far right, next to the door leading to the Side Room. Coat rail along the southern wall. Windows in the eastern wall facing Front street. Tables and chairs fill the area with room to move around, there's a couple of dart boards on the north end. They're next to a door for the Tenant Hallway, and a door to a tiny toilet room.
  2. The Side Room has the Vallejo Street entrance. A line of booths along the wall and the rest is tables. North wall has a door to the kitchen, the Bar window, and then the door to the Front room.
  3. The Tenant Hallway is on the north end of the building with a main door opening on Front street. Hallway runs to the back alley and stairs to the upper floors. Two side doors leading to the front room and kitchen of the bar. Stairways heading to the first floor and basement.
  4. The kitchen has three doors - one to the Front Room, one to the Side Room, and one to the Tenant Hallway. Food prep area, brick ovens, a stove, and a sink along the west wall along with windows to let in the light. Prep tables in the center, large ice box on northern wall next to the door to the Tennant Hallway. Pantry shelves and side tables along the East wall.

First floor is 8 feet high, tenant hallway branches along the West wall facing the alley to two doors - the first door is for the Bar Office, second door leads to the owner's apartment. Stairways to the ground floor and roof

Roof is flat, sealed with pitch and covered in small gravel, scuppers in front drain to gutter running along Vallejo and Front street. Scuppers facing alley just drain directly down.

Basement contains a furnace, street-access for barrels and coal chute. May be used for storage.

Intent: A bar catering for Furry patrons, with a side room for the Fallen (sometimes called the Human entrance).
Strength: Filling food, cheap beer.
Weaknesses: No fire escapes but escape ropes are available.

Bingham Bros. Curiosity Shop

Type of Location: Retail/workshop
Where is it (street or general area): Waterfront District
Appearance: Four story brick building with a decorative display window and roof brickwork.

Basement.
  • Coal chute from street, furnace. Some storage crates. One crate holds an antique printing press, unregistered. Supplies are in other crates.

Ground floor: Front entrance next to display window. Three rooms.
  1. Front room holds various curio cabinets with collections, a few nicer curios on shelves and tables, and a sales desk. Stairs here lead to the first floor. In the back of the front room is a consulting area for those looking to have a curio cabinet constructed. Cage elevator in this area that runs between the ground floor to the second floor.
  2. The back room is a work room where the cabinets are assembled, as well as a loading dock and a toilet. Stairs in this room lead to the basement and to the first floor workroom.
  3. Side room is a small kitchen for making tea and small food prep for clients.

First Floor: Two rooms.
  1. Front room is the curios display area. Stairs at the front, elevator cage at the back of this room. Toilet for guests.
  2. Back room is the curios workroom where the collections are unpacked, examined, repaired, and mounted. Staff stair runs down to the ground floor workroom, up to the second floor workroom.

Second Floor: Three rooms.
  1. Front room is the office for Bingham Bros, sometimes used for consultations with upper-class and higher order families. Office has its own private toilet room.
  2. Middle room is the reception area where the secretary works. The front staircase and elevator are here. Desk for secretary as well as couches and additional curio cabinets containing pricer items. Small pantry/store room behind secretary's desk.
  3. Back room is another work room, used for constructing dioramas and repairing curios. Staff stairs run up to the third floor, down to the first floor.

Third Floor: Attic storage room.
  • Large circular windows at the front and back. Contains various chests and boxes, larger curios covered with dust cloths. Staff stairs goes down to the second floor work room, ladder access to the roof.

Intent: When sailors, upper and upper-middle class take long trips to foreign lands, they pick up various curios. On their return, they may want to have a curio cabinet constructed to display their items. It's also a convenient place to sell excess curios they've collected.

Some upper or middle class individuals, in order to keep up appearances, may say they're taking a trip to foreign lands but actually spend several weeks hiding at home to give the appearance of having taken a trip, then purchase curios from the shop to show off.

It's a fun place to bring the curious and find something odd and unique.

Strength: A great place to find objects of curiosity.
Weaknesses: Trying to collect information on the Floating City and intents to publish secret guides.

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Post by PharaohAtem » 20 Feb 2022, 13:52

They always come up interesting places, creatures a d even planets abd ships.

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 26 Feb 2022, 05:54

Naughty Kitty wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 09:19
Those are some great descriptions Ex, paints a very detailed mental picture. :)
Thank you, you're very kind. The picture is intentional, I may be writing about it.

PharaohAtem wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 13:52
They always come up interesting places, creatures a d even planets abd ships.
You're kind as well. I use it better when I can picture it.

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Post by PharaohAtem » 26 Feb 2022, 11:30

Well if you end up writing about make sure you save a copy for me.