Cosplay Startout Advice

Whether you're a writer, cosplayer, crafter, traditional/digital artist or photographer - anything creative is welcome!

Moderators: lolin, PharaohAtem, Sirena

Z | Cerulean
Great Britain

Achievements

Cosplay Startout Advice

Post by Z | Cerulean » 10 Sep 2023, 17:19

I've been invited to a convention this December by one of my friends. They're collectively going as a cosplay group, something I've not done before but in this case I'm willing to give a shot.

However, I have no expertise in crafts and the like, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or pointers for where to get started.

I'm not fully settled on anything yet, but for an idea of what I was thinking currently, it was one of Marth from Fire Emblem or the Shin Megami Tensei 1 protagonist.

Thank you in advance for any pointers.
You thought this would be a signature. But it was I, a JoJo reference.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Cosplay Startout Advice

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 10 Sep 2023, 20:53

If you know what you're after, there's a ton of ready made stuff on eBay.

Just don't buy from Chinese sellers, I learned that the hard way last week.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Cosplay Startout Advice

Post by LilMissLarBear » 10 Sep 2023, 21:01

Z | Cerulean wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 17:19
I've been invited to a convention this December by one of my friends. They're collectively going as a cosplay group, something I've not done before but in this case I'm willing to give a shot.

However, I have no expertise in crafts and the like, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or pointers for where to get started.

I'm not fully settled on anything yet, but for an idea of what I was thinking currently, it was one of Marth from Fire Emblem or the Shin Megami Tensei 1 protagonist.

Thank you in advance for any pointers.

extremely novice cosplayer here, if I even count as a cosplayer lol. if its your first time start very basic. nope, more basic than that, a liiiiiiittle bit more... there, perfect! :D I can give a tip regarding wigs that I heard from a Tik Tok video and thats make sure your first wig is pretty much all-purpose and easy to style. I cant say first hand but I imagine the last thing you want is a wig just specifically for Marth for example for it to be an absolute pain in the ass to style. Im aware Marth can have quite an intricate costume, maybe start by getting together components that you already have that you can just use before you just go ahead and buy a load of money on materials and set pieces

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!