Emotive's GFX Experimentation Log

Whether you're a writer, cosplayer, crafter, traditional/digital artist or photographer - anything creative is welcome!

Moderators: lolin, PharaohAtem, Sirena

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Emotive GFX Log

Post by Emotive » 18 Nov 2021, 20:56

I just realized I didn't put the set in a post in here. lol Here they are, Fuuma Monou from the anime movie X:

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Emotive GFX Log

Post by Emotive » 20 Nov 2021, 00:46

I've actually decided to make a Kyosuke Date/The Soultaker set. I've got the render, but I think I need to tweak it more, make 2 versions of it. Then I'll have to splice together the 2 gifs I've found of him too. But that's my next project~ It'll be done really soon. :^_^:

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Emotive GFX Log

Post by Emotive » 20 Nov 2021, 07:15

Ok, so I couldn't find a font that looked similar to the SoulTaker logo's font, so I just kind of improvised and got a few fonts with "monster" in the title. lol The one in the set is called "Strong Monster" from dafont.com if you're interested. I saw The SoulTaker on G4 TechTV's Anime Unleashed block at one point, and have since got all the DVDs of the 13 episode OVA, but it was one of the few other alternative animes I've seen with a brother and sister other than DBZ which got actually frustrating at one point I couldn't find more anime with that theme. I fell in love with it real quick.

So, I had to actually make the render and then modify a free wallpaper I got from Pixabay.com with a Gradient Map using Photopea and 3 colors: black, red, and yellow. I had to slow down the first animated gif so that it would last almost as long as the 2nd gif, then spliced them together. For the font, I used "Inner Glow", Gradient Color to fill the text in the gifs and sig, and Outer Glow. I only used yellow for the Inner Glow but used black and red for the gradient color and outer glow colors (using a gradient of black to red from left to right for both of those gradient colors). And here is the result: I'm undecided which sig looks better though...

Sirena
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Emotive GFX Log

Post by Sirena » 20 Nov 2021, 22:54

Nice job :)
I personally like the second one better.It has a faded grudge feel border that works good with the overall piece in my opinion.

I need to get back into doing graphics myself lol
💚Arts/Cosplay/Writing Moderator💚

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Emotive GFX Log

Post by Emotive » 21 Nov 2021, 07:51

I've started watching Black Cat today, only got as far as the 2nd episode though so I'll have to keep watching it tomorrow. But I like it so much already I made another set. lol Train Heartnet.

Although, I want to add a border to it so I think I'll try that real quick.
Sirena wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 22:54
Nice job :)
I personally like the second one better.It has a faded grudge feel border that works good with the overall piece in my opinion.

I need to get back into doing graphics myself lol
Thanks ^_^

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Emotive GFX Log

Post by Emotive » 21 Nov 2021, 07:55

Ok, so, I'd have to move the text in the sig if I want to add the rough border but it's by far one of the coolest in Photoshop Epress, so I might reposition it so I can, but for now I've done the Soft Edge border but I'm not sure if it's better with a border or without. What do you think?

Sirena
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Emotive GFX Log

Post by Sirena » 21 Nov 2021, 18:41

I personally like borders but that is my go to thing when i do "boxed" edits.Both look good.I think it more of a personal preference

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Emotive GFX Log

Post by Emotive » 21 Nov 2021, 18:47

Sirena wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 18:41
I personally like borders but that is my go to thing when i do "boxed" edits.Both look good.I think it more of a personal preference
Yeah, I see what you mean. I liked the other one, but the more I was looking at the one with the border the more I wanted to use it instead. lol Oh, I still need to do the rough border which means moving the text. I've saved it in a .psd file so I could, but I'm not sure if the rough border I was using for Kyosuke's sig pic would look as good for Train's sig pic. I think the soft edge looks better for this set. :^_^:

Oh, I slowed down the gif with his eye a lot so they wouldn't be so offset by one taking too much longer than the other. I like to make each gif segment as close as possible to the one I'm splicing it into. Probably doesn't really make too big of a difference, like just something someone has a compelling feeling to do. :sweatdrop: But I think I'll always be like that. xD

Sirena
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Emotive GFX Log

Post by Sirena » 21 Nov 2021, 18:58

Always best to have gifs line up time wise.But then again I haven't done much gifs myself

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Emotive GFX Log

Post by Emotive » 21 Nov 2021, 19:16

Sirena wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 18:58
Always best to have gifs line up time wise.But then again I haven't done much gifs myself
It's surprisingly easy with Photopea. After getting this Chromebook I thought I'd never be able to use an image editor again because some windows apps don't work on this and Photoshop Express couldn't enable me to move and use renders in another pic, so I started looking for "alternatives to photoshop for chromebook" and eventually came across their website which is by the same name, Photopea.com but it did still take a while before I knew it could edit gifs. At first I accidentally opened one up in it. lol You can edit each frame with it, and it is legit 100% free. Like, no trial before paying any kind of subscription, it's actually free. It's better than GIMP in my opinion, but everyone has their preference for image editors. Still though, if you're curious about it and want to experiment with gifs I'd definitely suggest the absolutely free Photopea.

If you do try to, the text layer needs to be at the top, above everything else. It took a few tries before I realized that. :sweatdrop:

I thought about using one of the renders that has the gun in it, but I know there's some people who aren't exactly fans of firearms, so I looked for renders without it. It's probably not something that would be taken in the way I'm probably just being paranoid about, but just to be sure to not offend anyone. :sweatdrop:

Sirena
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Emotive GFX Log

Post by Sirena » 21 Nov 2021, 23:32

I use Photoshop for all my graphics including gifs.That seems to work the best for me.Once I buy a charger for my laptop tomorrow I might check out the site you mentioned and see if I like it any.I haven't had a working laptop in 2-3 months lol So it is about time for me to get the charger so I can start up my graphics again

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Emotive GFX Log

Post by Emotive » 22 Nov 2021, 02:37

Sirena wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 23:32
I use Photoshop for all my graphics including gifs.That seems to work the best for me.Once I buy a charger for my laptop tomorrow I might check out the site you mentioned and see if I like it any.I haven't had a working laptop in 2-3 months lol So it is about time for me to get the charger so I can start up my graphics again
Oh ouch! >.0 I too know the pain of not having a laptop for months on end. lol After my last one quit I had to wait until December, and the laptop quit before November. >_< So that was cold turkey. lol It's amazing what you can miss when that happens. Hopefully you'll be able to get a charger. If nothing else it's a good way to kill time while doing something you really enjoy, and it takes your mind off of a lot of things too. I underetimated how much I'd missed it. :^_^:

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Emotive GFX Log

Post by Emotive » 22 Nov 2021, 07:44

Ok, so I've been spending all this time tweaking the Black Cat/Train Heartnet set. I've made a custom background so I'm not using someone else's wallpaper I found somewhere because I had no idea who made it and it's just a really bad idea to do. lol So, here's the results with all the borders that would work with it and just for comparison I'm posting the original set I made at the very top, where the ones I just now finished after hours of more tweaking are going to be at the bottom. Let me know what you think! :^_^: btw, the app I used to add the border to the gif is GIF Maker Editor (the app icon looks like this Image since there's many like it but the one I use is the one I can vouch for). Even with Photopea you can't add a border to gifs, but omg it is a powerhouse of an app for image editing. The GIF Maker Editor can make gifs out of pics too, and you can select how slow or fast the gif's speed between each pic would be. Also other useful functions too, like a Loop option for the gifs which has a really cool effect on them, among others. :dance:

I'll use spoiler tags just so the post isn't flooded with images. lol

Original Black Cat/Train Heartnet set:
  Spoiler:  
ImageImage
Most recent versions:
  Spoiler:  
ImageImage
ImageImage
And for those of you who are also Black Cat fans, I'll just post the cover pic I made of him that I'm using too. The XIII (from Train's number in the anime) in the pic fits perfectly in the allowed space if you move it into position by lowering or raising the pic as needed. So, go ahead and download this cover pic if you like it. :^_^: I'd actually be proud if someone else used it too (if anyone wanted to). So, just passing on the Black Cat joy. :dance: Using spoiler tags again though for the same reason as I mentioned at the beginning of the post though. Don't need any screen clutter, right? Image
  Spoiler:  

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Emotive GFX Log

Post by Emotive » 24 Nov 2021, 02:58

I've thought about making a set of Gene Starwing from Outlaw Star. I've apparently got the whole series on DVD. lol When I looked through my anime bin I found some hidden treasures, Outlaw Star was one of them. I'd always loved how they incorporated a firearm in the way that they did, it was very creative. I remember Gene was always my favorite character.

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Emotive GFX Log

Post by Emotive » 24 Nov 2021, 16:04

Ok, so, I went ahead with my Outlaw Star set. I had to duplicate all the frames of the first gif, then delete about 8 or so of them to get the gifs to about the same length of time. Here are the results: