JasFX+

Whether you're a writer, cosplayer, crafter, traditional/digital artist or photographer - anything creative is welcome!

Moderators: lolin, PharaohAtem, Sirena

Jas
Retrospective Member
Retrospective Member
United States of America

JasFX+

Post by Jas » 05 Jun 2020, 12:25

In 2014 I started a GFX journal called JasFX.

I did so because I couldn't find my previous one from circa 2009.

I also cannot find my writing journal from around 2009.

So anyway, I decided to make a new one.

However, for posterity I wanted to record the pieces here from the old journal.

Spoiler:  
Jas;3701760 wrote:So I've been tossing around the idea of making a thread in here for my GFX for a while now. I don't know why I haven't yet.

But then @Jouro told me to, and so here I am.

I'll start off with my most recent sets (that I'm particularly fond of):

ImageImage
Original Artwork by SakimiChan

ImageImage
Original Artwork from Fringe.

This was actually my first animated set. I think it turned out well.
ImageImage
Original Artwork from Deadman Wonderland

I'll post more up tomorrow.

Jas;3701931 wrote:Thanks, guys. I still haven't decided if I like that observer sig. I think I like and dislike it. Anyway, since Shawn posted his pokebanners, I'm going to post mine. These were a sudden fad in CL after I made the pikachu one and Shawn (@Sin) made one to match. Everyone wanted one after that.

That's probably in order of the amount of work I put into it.

Also rankbars

Jas;3702420 wrote:Image

As you can see, the stock is amazing, so I doesn't really have to do much to it. Didnt even need to render. Just a couple of adjustment layers and a little glow. Also a brush layer but that's not even complex.

Sometimes less is more. @Padfoot

Jas;3702499 wrote:Let's see what else I can dig up from the vault for the journal.

ImageImage

A set I did for Holly/Imaginary Princess way back in the day (spoilered for nipples, don't click if you're a minor or whatever)
  Spoiler:  
ImageImage

And one I did for Imane much more recently (I think she's still sporting it, actually).
ImageImage

And a pair of sigs that I made for Shawn and myself. I didn't do much to mine except edit order and positioning to keep the action in the narrow frame. Did render Shawn's, though.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Jas;3703273 wrote:Thanks, woostersauce!

Continuing on with my past accolades, just to get them documented:
ImageImage
Obviously, I'm Wolfwood. @Sin is Vash.
ImageImage
Did this for @Solanthus, after @_fluX nicknamed him "Guardian of the Steam" in a CL trend.
ImageImage
This was my set during the Pokemon trend I mentioned earlier. Obvsly I'm Mewtwo.
ImageImage

Jas;3703475 wrote:Yeah. another case of excellent stock. It was super fun to render.

The background is actually a futuristic landscape.

Jas;3703622 wrote:Yeah, that font was by request. I kinda went for more of a logo feel than just text, and I think it worked for me.

Also, I wanna post the two holiday-themed sigs I did for @Kodabear:

ImageImage

ImageImage

Jas;3705498 wrote:Thanks, Casey! I'd be honored.

So it's been a couple of days, so I figured I'd dredge up some more past accolades. The following are a bunch of images that I generated completely in photoshop, with no stock. The quality's not that good because they've been processed and I can't find the originals. Super sad. Anyway, I made them to be backgrounds on my original fat-boy PSP.

Jas;3705598 wrote:I also used to be really into coloring lineart. I had coloring battle with Katsuragi (I lost, but only just) on this lineart (and also included is my submission).

I haven't tried it in a long time, but I think I could probably do better now. I'll have to give that a try. The hair and metallic surfaces, in particular, could use a lot of work.

Some other things I colored (to a lesser degree, granted):

ImageImage
ImageImage

Jas;3706673 wrote:So, I think my next siggit will be Yoshii Akahisa (from B&T). I found a few stock images (and will probably use more than one), but I think the main one I'm going to use is

Rendering that down, and isolating the different parts (So that I can vary the animation). I'll keep this updated. I don't know what else to do with it.

Jas;3708362 wrote:Thank you, Zach! Thank you, Megan! It's nice to be appreciated. :D

Update on the progress of my Yoshii sig: I have rendered the gif and captured the individual pieces so I can move them individually or maybe even put layers between them. Looks about like this (I also tried to enhance the picture quality a bit.

Jas;3709756 wrote:Thanks, but that was actually pretty easy. Making each of the freeze-frames on their own layers simplified it significantly.

I had it up to this point last night but apparently forgot to post it. I'm going to add another element, though, based on the text.

I'm probably also going to move the text down. Adding an extra animation will lengthen it so it looks less spastic without lengthening the frames and looking choppy.

Jas;3711367 wrote:Alright! I think I'm finally done with the signature. I could probably do more, but I wanted this one to be "Simple and clean", as I've as of yet not made any that were. So I'm going to leave it at this, I think.

Finding the animation I wanted for the text was difficult. In fact, it was impossible. I just ended up finally going a different route, and even that was difficult.

Here's the stock for that second animation: Image

And the final one, with the secondary animation interacting with the text (and the text moved, as I alluded to last time).

Now to figure out what to do for the avatar.

EDIT: I have finished my avatar. Cutesie, but simple. Image

Just a distillation of this stock

And voila! A new set is born!

Jas;3718918 wrote:Thanks, @Tzeniya! It's really fun to watch, isn't it? I think it came out quite well.

For the purposes of the GFX Journal, I'm going to post @Chibi Angel's rankbar

Jas;3732816 wrote:I suppose that now that the auction is over, I can claim my work.

Image Image

The render of articuno turned out to be terrible, so I reconstructed it. Still not to the quality of an image I would have rendered myself, but it is what it is.

Utilized an original snowfall effect, as well as brushwork (background and foreground), and text effects.

I think it's Legendary.

... Tee hee

Jas;3744752 wrote:Made the following for @Fenrir, at the request of @Ivory.

ImageImage

Stock:
http://azurethoughts.com/Emolga.png

Jas;3744798 wrote:One of my better ideas, if I do say so. ;)

This next one I'm doing for @Kodabear is going to be awesome.

That is, if I can pull it off. Going simple-and-clean meets Simple and Clean. I'm going to go ahead and post my initial draft. This has had nothing done to it except setting up the initial animation, and already I like it.

Jas;3747509 wrote:New banner set for @Kodabear.

Image Image

Stock Image(s): http://planetrenders.net/attachments/so ... -png.3647/

Jas;3771444 wrote:So it's been a little bit.

I figured I should put the sigs I've made for people in the request thread up in here.

@Hushy
Image Image

@Ioreth
Image Image

Jas;3791002 wrote:Image

Is that any better?

Jas;3812373 wrote:Image Image

My latest set.

I may end up changing the avatar based on the response, though.

Jas;3826373 wrote:For my GFX contest (which I'm losing my ass off in), I made this.

However, in order to even the playing field, as she made a sig, I shrunk it down to this:

Also, in the Pirates Banner competition, I made this bad boy:

I'll make sure to get some new content in here asap. This will be a mixed bag from here on out.

I'll probably make an index at some point, once I have some content to point to.

Noodle
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

JasFX

Post by Noodle » 05 Jun 2020, 13:14

YAAAS
A Guide to Noodle:
♥ Koreaboo ♥
♥ Loves: Cute things. HyunA. Candy. HyunA. Yep pretty much love HyunA. ♥

♥ Get me on Skype @ SunnyD.89 ♥
♥ Join us in Crazy League! We don't bite! ♥
♥ Birb birb birb ;3 ♥

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

JasFX+

Post by GraceMellody » 06 Jun 2020, 21:16

I like the Lapras one you made for Kodabear :3
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

Jas
Retrospective Member
Retrospective Member
United States of America

JasFX+

Post by Jas » 06 Jun 2020, 21:34

Hah, thanks! Yeah it seems most of my best work went to Kodabear, lol.

I think my favorite poke-banner is still Abra for bootanna

It symbolizes hours north of Cerulean City for me, circa 1999.

H03nn89
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

JasFX+

Post by H03nn89 » 08 Jun 2020, 23:01

Awesome!

Was the first animated one Ganta from Deadman Wonderland?

I love the manga of that.

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

JasFX+

Post by PharaohAtem » 08 Jun 2020, 23:28

Those background images would look great on some sigs could I narrow them pretty please.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Jas
Retrospective Member
Retrospective Member
United States of America

JasFX+

Post by Jas » 08 Jun 2020, 23:39

H03nn89 wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 23:01
Awesome!

Was the first animated one Ganta from Deadman Wonderland?

I love the manga of that.

Yeah, it was. n_n I loved the fight scenes in that one.

Jas
Retrospective Member
Retrospective Member
United States of America

JasFX+

Post by Jas » 08 Jun 2020, 23:45

PharaohAtem wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 23:28
Those background images would look great on some sigs could I narrow them pretty please.
go right ahead, minty. I'm interested to see what you come up with. Those are all my original images, including the moon over the water.

I was on a deep purple kick and was really digging smoke on the water.

I actually used that in a siggit too.

Image Image
You'll notice I have the same font also.

But yeah, feel free.

Jas
Retrospective Member
Retrospective Member
United States of America

JasFX+

Post by Jas » 09 Jun 2020, 04:35

Guess who got photoshop again?

Shit's gonna happen again.

Noodle
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

JasFX+

Post by Noodle » 09 Jun 2020, 04:56

I found some cute renders! Now gonna look through photostock tomorrow, download some brushes... GONNA BE EXTRA LIT
A Guide to Noodle:
♥ Koreaboo ♥
♥ Loves: Cute things. HyunA. Candy. HyunA. Yep pretty much love HyunA. ♥

♥ Get me on Skype @ SunnyD.89 ♥
♥ Join us in Crazy League! We don't bite! ♥
♥ Birb birb birb ;3 ♥

Jas
Retrospective Member
Retrospective Member
United States of America

JasFX+

Post by Jas » 09 Jun 2020, 05:33

As I always have, I render my own.

I'm done with the render street like an hour or so, and probs tomorrow will compose a siggit.

I'll show you all when it's done.

H03nn89
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

JasFX+

Post by H03nn89 » 09 Jun 2020, 08:46

I’d love to get into gfx. But I have no idea where to start

Jas
Retrospective Member
Retrospective Member
United States of America

JasFX+

Post by Jas » 09 Jun 2020, 11:06

A good place to start would be the software :3

If you can afford it, Photoshop is a really good option. I'd say "best" but there's probably something better. I just don't know what it is. An example of something made with this is my sig--I created this some time ago with Photoshop CS6.

If you prefer a flat fee over a subscription, another decent option is Corel Paintshop Pro. This is actually what I used for my first GFX projects, like this one that I don't really like anymore but keep around for sentimentality:

If you're unsure if it's something you'll like to do or aren't willing to spend any money, paint.net is also a workable option. It's free as long as you get it from their website (I know the windows store charges for it, which is dumb). But it's free, has a large online plugin library, and will do most things that tools like Photoshop will do, or there is a plugin to help out. An example is something I made more recently, during my 2018 return to the boards when I was without Photoshop:
Image Image
Not about to win any awards, but it's functional.

After you choose your software, it's a matter of composing the image, usually with one or more stock photos/images (but not necessarily required), brushwork and/or filters, and some sort of typography. An example of a set without a stock image is:
Image Image

Just have fun with it, and play around. Your first few attempts will probs suck, but you'll grow from them. n_n

H03nn89
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

JasFX+

Post by H03nn89 » 09 Jun 2020, 11:53

Awesome cheers!

I’ll have a look into it! Something else to have a go at 😃

Smileymaniak
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

JasFX+

Post by Smileymaniak » 09 Jun 2020, 20:37

This is some awesome work Jas :D and I have to agree, Photoshop is the best GFX software I've come across. I know a lot of people like illustrator but I feel like most things you can do in it can be done in Photoshop + more.