Momogari Carpentry

Whether you're a writer, cosplayer, crafter, traditional/digital artist or photographer - anything creative is welcome!

Moderators: lolin, PharaohAtem, Sirena

Beex
Lucky Cat Member
Lucky Cat Member
United States of America

Re: Bed

Post by Beex » 22 Dec 2019, 15:22

Well that's impressive!

"You mess with the cat, you get the litter!"

╱|、b
(˚ˎ 。7 e
|、˜〵 e
じしˍ,)ノx

"Beep boop meow!" - Robo-Fortune, Skullgirls

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The goddess Eris pads her chest.- Aqua

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

GFX by:Ioreth

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 26 Dec 2019, 17:53

Very massive! Did you use hardware to attach the frame and platform to the ends? I'd hate to see something like that torn apart.

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 28 Dec 2019, 16:02

Expendable wrote:Very massive! Did you use hardware to attach the frame and platform to the ends? I'd hate to see something like that torn apart.
Nah. Hardware is expensive and there's ways to design shit that require less hardware.

I think you're asking about the upper bunk? There's no way that can break at the joins because 1) the 2x6 in on the inside of the post, 2) the platform joists are a shit ton of compressive protection, and 3) everything is screwed on top and the plywood is excellent tensile strength because each layer of plywood runs its grain perpendicular to the next. There's no way to even start to get enough force to get the 2x6 beams away from their connecting posts. The only other forces are torque and shear. The luan on the back is for torque strength. It's good enough. It's a sturdy ass bed besides, like there won't be a 300 lb football player getting a running head start at the end of it. Shear is the only concern then--those 2x6 beams are attached to the posts with 3x thick deck screws. Shearing any set of them all at once would take something like a Harley falling on it. Maybe less than that. I guess I overestimate shear strength of screws. But it's fine for two or three people on that upper bunk I'm sure, and there's not likely to be more than one.

Hardware wouldn't help with shear though. The only way to do it better in that regard is to cut the posts and put that beam right on top of them so its loaded directly on, like you'd do for a house. It's overkill in this case I think.

Or are you asking about the posts' connection to the lower platform? That's a little weak--2 screws each. But that's really just to hold it up while the rest of the bed is assembled. There's no loading force that can affect it there once it's together--it's all covered by the other pieces, especially the luan and the shelf backing.
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 03 Jan 2020, 02:57

I was actually wondering how you'd take it apart if you have to move?

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Post by PharaohAtem » 03 Jan 2020, 03:12

Looks like something I would want.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 05 Jan 2020, 19:43

Expendable wrote:I was actually wondering how you'd take it apart if you have to move?

It's all screws so it can come apart.

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Momogari Carpentry

Post by Momogari » 18 Jul 2021, 17:06

Edited this thread to make it an archives collection too. When I do more carpentry I'll put it in this thread.

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Momogari Carpentry

Post by Expendable » 13 Aug 2021, 04:27

Price of wood here is high, thanks to the pandemic. You might want to consider doing some virtual woodwork with a cad program.