[ARTS] Expendable's Little Blue Box

Whether you're a writer, cosplayer, crafter, traditional/digital artist or photographer - anything creative is welcome!

Moderators: lolin, PharaohAtem, Sirena

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Re: Expendable's Little Blue Box

Post by Expendable » 17 Mar 2018, 14:54

Jigglypuff wrote:Great work as usual. What are you still working on, since it's a WIP?

Thanks, Jigglypuff. I'm putting together a 40 meter cargo pod that would hold 128 standard shipping containers. They can detach from a mothership to go planetside or an orbital transfer station to deliver and receive cargo, very much a workhorse with few amenities. I'm adding a vertical escape trunk with a wiring trunk and working in the thruster compartments in the clipped corners.

Here's a few views of the pod.

Zytah
Noble Member
Noble Member
United States of America

Post by Zytah » 21 Mar 2018, 00:56

That is so crazy detailed, it looks awesome! What kind of cargo would it hold?

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 21 Mar 2018, 03:32

Thank you! It's for holding two rows 8x8 of 40' shipping containers, so it could ship just about anything that'll fit.

I'm thinking of doing a few variations - this is already the size of a small building, it could be reused for many different things.

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Post by PharaohAtem » 23 Mar 2018, 16:59

That's very detailed looks cool. I'm guessing that's a human down there as to the size of what you were doing. Cargo containers are always huge it's kinda scary at their height.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 24 Mar 2018, 05:50

You can also see a tiny guy on the bridge. At 40 meters, it's pretty big. I also did a 100 meter cube before this, just the shell, and decided it was too large to be useful.

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 15 Jun 2018, 22:15

The other night I decided to make another box, which is the first piece in my UN SPACY collection. A ditty box.

My technical writeup
  Spoiler:  
UN SPACE AGENCY issued Ditty Box, Mark I. Due to limited space in the berthing compartments, ship crews were often assigned a portable storage box with bio-metric lock for personal possessions. These would be kept in storage racks in the passageways and could be taken to any available compartment, such as a divisional work space or common area. Crews were reminded to secure the ditty box while they were in their possession, so two tie-down points were provided on each end of the ditty box.

Each ship would have their hull number and inventory number on the box for identification purposes.

White boxes with navy/yellow stripes along the oblique corners would be issued to crew.
Gray boxes with green/white stripes along the oblique corners would be issued to transiting colonists.
Gray boxes with yellow/black stripes along the oblique corners would be issued to prisoners, bio-metric lock replaced with a simple latch switch.

Orange boxes with red/yellow stripes along the oblique corners and a red cross inside a white circle are a small medical supply chest, usually found at triage stations. The bio-metric plate on these would be used to record entry.

Boxes are sometimes found in surplus sales.

Internal compartment had a top tray, one inch deep, with a shallow divider for small items.

External dimensions were 15 in. (38 cm) by 12 in. (30.5 cm) by 10 in. (25.5 cm)
Internal dimensions were 13 in. (33 cm) by 11 in. (28 cm) by 9.5 in. (24 cm)

Ditty is be to be a corruption of "Ditto", basically repeating or duplicating. As sailors going to see could be gone for months or years, they'd usually have a sack or a box to keep two of everything - two sewing needles, two knives, etc. When one was lost, they'd have a replacement on hand - which was very hard to come by at sea.

The hardest item to make on this was the hinge.

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 17 Jun 2018, 01:53

Another day, another box. Or in this case, a UN SPACY foot locker.

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 18 Jun 2018, 15:24

a lot of these have an insane amount of detail, which probably took quite a bit of patience to do

i've tried my hand at 3D modeling in high school, via solidworks (which is technically less of a 3D modeling program and more of a 3D stress test and analysis tool, but it functions as one either way)

did some autoCAD for an internship too, much prefered that to solidworks

haven't used sketchup, but no 3D modeling program is easy, so this shows a lot of learning and a ton of effort

you should be proud!

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 18 Jun 2018, 22:31

omfgzergrush wrote:a lot of these have an insane amount of detail, which probably took quite a bit of patience to do

i've tried my hand at 3D modeling in high school, via solidworks (which is technically less of a 3D modeling program and more of a 3D stress test and analysis tool, but it functions as one either way)

did some autoCAD for an internship too, much prefered that to solidworks

haven't used sketchup, but no 3D modeling program is easy, so this shows a lot of learning and a ton of effort

you should be proud!

Thank you. Building a collection of props for future gaming, heh. The time consuming bit for the boxes is building the hinges.

Last night's addition - the Omni.

Spoiler:  
The Omni is a pocket-sized touchscreen tablet (14cm x 8cm x 1cm) with an encrypted short-range transceiver that includes built-in oxygen and atmospheric pressure sensors, built specifically for use by the UN Space Agency.

Intended for use aboard ship, it is internally ruggedized, using a synthetic diamond-chip architecture that makes the unit more resistant to radiation, heat and pressure.

The device allows crew to communicate with one another, as well as access the ship/station databases of technical manuals, training materials, and various entertainment options available through the ship's app store. To further extend the usage of the Omni, they can be connected to various sensor packs with specialized internal databases.

To prevent unauthorized access, the Omni is set up with two-factor bio-metric security. A security key must be entered into the Omni to allow it to access the ship or station network; otherwise it is just an odd-shaped paperweight.

Units under normal usage last 48 hours between charging via a charging pad or docking station.

Units are usually striped on the back to signify the branch of service.

Civilian versions are available for the commercial shipping market, utilizing civilian bands rather than the restricted UNS frequencies. However, they are still fully compatible with UNS sensor module packs; there is a fee for the sensor pack app.

Really it looks like that to separate it from civilian versions.

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 28 Jul 2018, 08:27

Newest render of my room box.

Aeri
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Aeri » 28 Jul 2018, 14:31

I looooooove tile bathrooms like that mmm! Is the fridge under the stove top?

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 28 Jul 2018, 15:53

Aeri wrote:I looooooove tile bathrooms like that mmm! Is the fridge under the stove top?

You must really like tiny places! Still looking for just the right mirror. Yes, the kitchenette has a tiny fridge under the stove top and a smaller sink to the right. Pity to give up all that shelf space.

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 28 Jul 2018, 16:41

too small for me, but i love walk-in showers, so i can appreciate staying here as like a condo/timeshare/hotel room

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 29 Jul 2018, 00:45

omfgzergrush wrote:too small for me, but i love walk-in showers, so i can appreciate staying here as like a condo/timeshare/hotel room

What it has in cosy it looses in storage space. But for places this small, a walk-in shower is a must. But I need to rotate the sun or switch to a larger photo booth.

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 06 Aug 2018, 06:10

Cubicle decoration. Simple curio shelves, made up of layers of cardboard, corrigation cut at different angles for strength when glued. The whole thing is then wrapped in kraft paper or pressboard and painted. Shelf is put up using t-pins into the fabric.

12" high x 40.5" wide by 3.125" deep

Shelves are 3 inches deep. Pockets are 6 inches tall, center pocket is 12.75 inches wide, left and right pockets are 12.375 inches wide.