[Wicked's Artsy Stuffles]

Whether you're a writer, cosplayer, crafter, traditional/digital artist or photographer - anything creative is welcome!

Moderators: lolin, PharaohAtem, Sirena

xMommaWickedx
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Re: [Wicked's Artsy Stuffles]

Post by xMommaWickedx » 06 Sep 2016, 02:24

Another new set...

Wheels
Standard Member
Great Britain

Post by Wheels » 06 Sep 2016, 14:22

[mention=80169]WickedChan[/mention] I like the render and background but the text is really hard to read

Izzy
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Izzy » 06 Sep 2016, 14:43

I have to agree with Wheels on this. The text is really difficult to see and the render placement doesn't do it justice.

Sent from my LGL82VL using Tapatalk

Play FFXIV? Need a Free Company? Join the Moonlight Warriors on the Jenova Server! PM for more Info!
Play ARK? Need a Tribe? Look for Reina on EU Server 836 on The Island!

Back in the Habit.

xMommaWickedx
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by xMommaWickedx » 06 Sep 2016, 21:10

Wheels wrote:[mention=80169]WickedChan[/mention] I like the render and background but the text is really hard to read

Tenshi-chan wrote:I have to agree with Wheels on this. The text is really difficult to see and the render placement doesn't do it justice.

I was trying to do something different with the text and it was the only graffiti type text i had...the others i tried to download didnt' show up in GIMP so i just went with it... I choose white for the color of the text because i wanted it to pop and when the text was black it kind of blended in with the edges and didn't pop as much as i wanted it to... Also, i placed the render where i did because i wanted it to seem like she was posing next to the quote as if she was the one who wrote it... Thanks for the feedback guys, i might end up changing it... ^_^

Izzy
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Izzy » 06 Sep 2016, 23:02

WickedChan wrote:I was trying to do something different with the text and it was the only graffiti type text i had...the others i tried to download didnt' show up in GIMP so i just went with it... I choose white for the color of the text because i wanted it to pop and when the text was black it kind of blended in with the edges and didn't pop as much as i wanted it to... Also, i placed the render where i did because i wanted it to seem like she was posing next to the quote as if she was the one who wrote it... Thanks for the feedback guys, i might end up changing it... ^_^
What Windows version are you using?

Play FFXIV? Need a Free Company? Join the Moonlight Warriors on the Jenova Server! PM for more Info!

Back in the Habit.

xMommaWickedx
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by xMommaWickedx » 07 Sep 2016, 00:00

Tenshi-chan wrote:What Windows version are you using?

Windows 8...

Izzy
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Izzy » 07 Sep 2016, 01:17

Oh. I dunno if you can just directly install the fonts then. I have the newest version of Windows on my laptop.

Back in the Habit.

xMommaWickedx
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by xMommaWickedx » 07 Sep 2016, 01:21

Tenshi-chan wrote:Oh. I dunno if you can just directly install the fonts then. I have the newest version of Windows on my laptop.

I did it the same way i did it last time and it worked then... I will try again and i will let you know if it worked or not...

Chlobo
Pink Member
Pink Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Chlobo » 07 Sep 2016, 18:11

WickedChan wrote:Another new set...

Looks really nice. The colours go well together and the border is a nice touch.

xMommaWickedx
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by xMommaWickedx » 07 Sep 2016, 22:37

Chlobo wrote:Looks really nice. The colours go well together and the border is a nice touch.

Thank you ^_^

Ryuuko
Knight Member
Knight Member

Post by Ryuuko » 18 Sep 2016, 21:27

The typography looks like spray paint, but its readability is low. I'm not even sure what it says. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with GIMP, or I have little experience using it. An inner bevel may have made the text more readable, or some inner shadowing.

The background and the colors you chose looks good. The Black border really blends in with the background too, nice job.

xMommaWickedx
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by xMommaWickedx » 18 Sep 2016, 21:46

Scarlet Knight wrote:The typography looks like spray paint, but its readability is low. I'm not even sure what it says. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with GIMP, or I have little experience using it. An inner bevel may have made the text more readable, or some inner shadowing.

The background and the colors you chose looks good. The Black border really blends in with the background too, nice job.
Thanks for the feedback... You have given me an idea that might make it more readable with out actually having to change the text... ^.^

Sent using Tapatalk...

Deviette
Standard Member
Great Britain

Post by Deviette » 26 Sep 2016, 13:30

Realised I never commented back on this thread, feel like a terrible person @_@

Anyhoos:
- Making text 'pop' on GIMP can be a little difficult because it doesn't have the auto bevel as on PS but, I tend to do a surround border that does a good job (as per my sig) or even a blurred shadow/drop shadow (which it also doesn't have an auto function for, but is quite easy to do manually, I can do a quick tutorial if you're not sure how to do it)

- I tend to find plain background difficult to fill, if you want to add texture I would strongly recommend: http://glassthroughskin.deviantart.com who has an amazing gallery full of large royalty free textures. I tend to stick a least one of these in any of my backgrounds, if not layering more than one of these up (generally playing with overlay or colour layering) will make it look awesome >w<

- Don't be afraid crop the render, if you look around, most people rarely have more than waist up and when it come to filling your signature, larger face tends to do a better job. If you do want more of the render, instead of making it smaller, try rotating it so that more fits in at the same size.

- This sounds a little weird, but bare with me. If on forums the name bar is on the left (like this one): On avatars, the character should be looking either right or straight ahead. If they're looking right, it doesn't matter which way their body is facing. If looking straight at you, then their body should be facing right. I don't know why, but to me it always looks better that way around.
On signatures you don't tend to see this effect as you normally move the image to the left and to the right of the signature depending which way the character is facing (Although, if anything, I'd say that on signature the effect is reversed to facing left, but I think that might just be my personal preference rather than anything)

- And just a little thing, if you're intending on using the avatars, it's always best to resize in GIMP rather than letting the website do it automatically, this is because websites tend to resize less well than graphics programs, and you'll get a clearer, less blurry, image.
(and on an unrelated note, your current signature is resized by 1px in the X axis which is making it a little blurry)

Hope that this helps :3

Also, I like your latest one :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

xMommaWickedx
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by xMommaWickedx » 27 Sep 2016, 01:10

Deviette wrote:Realised I never commented back on this thread, feel like a terrible person @_@

Anyhoos:
- Making text 'pop' on GIMP can be a little difficult because it doesn't have the auto bevel as on PS but, I tend to do a surround border that does a good job (as per my sig) or even a blurred shadow/drop shadow (which it also doesn't have an auto function for, but is quite easy to do manually, I can do a quick tutorial if you're not sure how to do it)

- I tend to find plain background difficult to fill, if you want to add texture I would strongly recommend: http://glassthroughskin.deviantart.com who has an amazing gallery full of large royalty free textures. I tend to stick a least one of these in any of my backgrounds, if not layering more than one of these up (generally playing with overlay or colour layering) will make it look awesome >w<

- Don't be afraid crop the render, if you look around, most people rarely have more than waist up and when it come to filling your signature, larger face tends to do a better job. If you do want more of the render, instead of making it smaller, try rotating it so that more fits in at the same size.

- This sounds a little weird, but bare with me. If on forums the name bar is on the left (like this one): On avatars, the character should be looking either right or straight ahead. If they're looking right, it doesn't matter which way their body is facing. If looking straight at you, then their body should be facing right. I don't know why, but to me it always looks better that way around.
On signatures you don't tend to see this effect as you normally move the image to the left and to the right of the signature depending which way the character is facing (Although, if anything, I'd say that on signature the effect is reversed to facing left, but I think that might just be my personal preference rather than anything)

- And just a little thing, if you're intending on using the avatars, it's always best to resize in GIMP rather than letting the website do it automatically, this is because websites tend to resize less well than graphics programs, and you'll get a clearer, less blurry, image.
(and on an unrelated note, your current signature is resized by 1px in the X axis which is making it a little blurry)

Hope that this helps :3

Also, I like your latest one :D

Oh wow... That is a lot of tips... Thank you, i really appreciate your input... When i said make the text pop i meant color wise... I know GIMP is a very simple program but that is why it is perfect for me... I'm sure you can tell by my sets lol... Honestly, because i keep it simple i had no idea about the resizing thing and i would love it if you could teach me how to do some kool and different borders... Even with GIMP i still only know the basics... Also, about the the way the render is facing, i have gotten into a weird pattern where i like to have the render in the avatar face to the right towards the posts and the avatar in the signature face left back towards the avatar (and be on the right side)... Like i have with my current set... Idk why but i really like it and i feel like having the render on both sides of the quote makes it feel more balanced in a post as a whole... Do you know what i mean?... Thanks again for the feed back... I will definitely try to keep those things in mind the next time i make a set... ^_^

xMommaWickedx
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by xMommaWickedx » 10 Oct 2016, 01:21

A set i made because i am in the Halloween spirit... ^_^