Has anyone ever done Krav-Maga?

Make a topic about anything and everything and join in! Craziness, roleplay, spam, games, memes and fun!

Moderators: Ojisama, Tuffin

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 16 Nov 2023, 13:26

According to footage on YouTube it looks like something I could be good at having done various Karate styles, plus being a current 5th Kup Taekwondo student, since I was 14 (I am now just over 47 and half)

It's very focused on self defence techniques, which as mentioned I've been doing for years.

Anyone know what I'm discussing?

History of Krav Maga - direct from Wikipedia

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 16 Nov 2023, 20:51

Because of it's history with The Israeli Military, it has an almost mythic status, but it is a mixture of techniques from various other "established" martial arts, principally Aikido and Judo.

Where it differs, is that it emphasises "extreme" defence. Like in Karate Kid III, where the Cobra Kai instructor tells Daniel to break his opponents arms, legs etc. Attacks are not just to subdue your opponent, but remove any possibility of them coming back at you at all, which is fine from a military standpoint, not so fine from a civilian perspective.

To be honest, advanced trainees of most martial arts will be taught moves that will disable/kill their opponents quickly, and I'd be very dubious about a club that openly advertises that it trains it's students to kill their attackers.

#1 Son is currently studying a form of Karate developed by the Japanese Police. I'm trying to wangle some observations as part of my development plan, so I'll get back to you.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 16 Nov 2023, 21:03

Ojisama wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 20:51
Because of it's history with The Israeli Military, it has an almost mythic status, but it is a mixture of techniques from various other "established" martial arts, principally Aikido and Judo.

Where it differs, is that it emphasises "extreme" defence. Like in Karate Kid III, where the Cobra Kai instructor tells Daniel to break his opponents arms, legs etc. Attacks are not just to subdue your opponent, but remove any possibility of them coming back at you at all, which is fine from a military standpoint, not so fine from a civilian perspective.

To be honest, advanced trainees of most martial arts will be taught moves that will disable/kill their opponents quickly, and I'd be very dubious about a club that openly advertises that it trains it's students to kill their attackers.

#1 Son is currently studying a form of Karate developed by the Japanese Police. I'm trying to wangle some observations as part of my development plan, so I'll get back to you.

Good stuff, although it'd probably be better to PM me.

Discussion of lethal techniques tends to be a bit "controversial".

Also, according to my Googling, the closest KM club in Sheffield's down at Handsworth Grange Sports Centre, at the moment we're struggling with the logistics of getting to Taekwondo in Stannington, particularly on a Sunday.. Imagine getting down to Handsworth?!
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)