Should ALL disabled kids be placed in "special" schools?

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Yes
13%
Are you avin' a laugh?
25%
Depends on the circumtances
63%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 8

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 09 Mar 2024, 14:55

Following a post on X, some right wing fool thinks ALL disabled kids of school age should be placed in "special" schools, do you agree? I personally don't, as a disabled person myself who went through mainstream school throughout the 80s right up to the end of April 1992, it was terrible! SEN education was bad back then and apparently, 30 odd years later it's even worse.

The only difference in those days was that the Internet as we know it hadn't been invented yet, so there was no online bullying, just in the Playground, which was just as bad if not considerably worse as it wasn't just verbal (sticks and stones and all that), it was also physical.

More to the point, I may have a form of Autism but contrary to popular belief I am NOT "special" (not in the Internet way anyway)

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, do the Poll and have a discussion.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 20 Mar 2024, 23:10

I feel that the question you have posed only has a yes/no answer.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Geek-Chic
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Geek-Chic » 25 Mar 2024, 11:07

It depends on the disability tbh.

Very disabled kids who have extreme autism, down syndrome ect that probably couldn't cope in a mainstream school.

But with kids who have mild language problems, mild autism etc should be able to cope in a mainstream school.

As somebody who was put in a language unit in a different school from the age of 6. It messed me up

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 25 Mar 2024, 19:53

Geek-Chic wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 11:07
It depends on the disability tbh.

Very disabled kids who have extreme autism, down syndrome ect that probably couldn't cope in a mainstream school.

But with kids who have mild language problems, mild autism etc should be able to cope in a mainstream school.

As somebody who was put in a language unit in a different school from the age of 6. It messed me up

As someone who was sent to a mainstream school with a "Special Needs" (I hate that word!) "Unit" at the age of 11, I feel your pain, I hated every second of that place, in fact if I hadn't made friends with my ex, I'd have walked out at first break and refused to go back.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)