As a disabled/mildly Autistic late 40s guy - Where should I apply for work?

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Is it possible for a disabled/mildly Autistic person to get a job beyond the voluntary sector?

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 04 Feb 2024, 16:12

IMO it's nigh on impossible, despite the illegality of direct discrimination under the Equality Act 2010, it still happens.

I have a shadow shift at Sheffield Royal Society for the Blind on Mappin St at 10 AM on Wednesday, but as much as I'd be willing to work, to get up early enough to get to Town before 10 AM, particularly on a Wednesday, I want paying for it ideally, and no, I am NOT lazy, I just value my sleepy time.

I applied for 3 different jobs on Indeed last week, and 2 of 'em are yet to even acknowledge my application.

There's also my age (late 40s) and the fact due to personal circumstances I can't work evenings or weekends, which counts the majority of jobs in retail out, despite me having experience and qualifications in the trade.

Thoughts?

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Is it possible for a disabled/mildly Autistic person to get a job beyond the voluntary sector?

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 04 Feb 2024, 18:20

Since I posted this earlier, I've applied for a ton of retail jobs listed on Indeed, although I won't get interviews for any of 'em, particularly Smyth's Toys in Barnsley.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 04 Feb 2024, 19:39

Unless I'm mistaken I'm pretty sure you already made a thread on this topic. Perhaps not the *exact* same name but it sounds like a similar discussion we've already had. So saying that there isn't really much I can add that I've said in the past. I feel like if we try to look for an *ideal* job that ticks all our boxes its gonna take ages to even find the ones we want.

So taking shift times/shift patterns for example, I've quickly learned that you are not gonna get far if you treat a ideal start time and finish time as an absolute to going for a job. Almost as if it's an unwritten social convention to be flexible with time. That's unless if you want to go to a 9-5 job but guess what? Thats gonna cause troubles too! Because (and I'm saying this from experience) working five days and only having two days off a week is tiring as heck and not enough for neurodiverse folk to recharge. But we do it anyway because we can't have everything we want in life (slightly ranty tone)

I'm not saying that finding a job is impossible but based on what you are saying it does sound a bit "picking and choosing" and that for sure is gonna take you longer to find something. I get it's frustrating too, it took me over a year at one point to get a job but you will get there! Good luck!

Edit: I know I said I didn't think there would be much to add but turns out I added a fair bit without repeating myself too much from past discussions haha apologies for the slight rant though

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 07 Mar 2024, 11:12

Beyond the voluntary sector in the UK? As I don't drive I can only travel within South Yorkshire, England.

I'd be interested in remote work as well and have applied for stuff but I keep getting turned down because due to personal circumstances I can't work evenings or weekends.

Can anyone help? And don't say go to the Job Centre, 25 years ago I did, and it literally nearly killed me.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 07 Mar 2024, 18:15

Well since this morning, I have a referral to Autism Plus in Town.

I've been to them at least twice previously and not got anything though.

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 07 Mar 2024, 23:12

Topics merged as basically the same.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.