"Beam me up Scotty!" - If someone was to invent Star Trek style Transporter technology, would you use it?

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

"Beam me up Scotty!" - If someone was to invent Star Trek style Transporter technology, would you use it?

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 05 Feb 2024, 08:05

Above.

I'd be tempted, how about you guys? I hear the Science boffins are working on such a thing right now, and have managed to transport an atom.

Same with Holodeck tech, what would you create? The tech's almost there with Virtual Reality already, imagine what they could potentially do in a few years?

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

belsammael
Veteran Member
Netherlands

Achievements

Post by belsammael » 20 Feb 2024, 16:15

For Holodeck Tech: Certainly, I would love to endeavour in some of my favorite worlds of fiction that way. :)

For transporter tech I'm not so sure, mainly because of the moral discussions that surround it, and which also sometimes came up in Trek: If I get disassembled down to the atom, then what is it that gets reassembled again? Is it me? Or do I cease to exist at that point? What about things like memories, "the soul", etc. I would love the technology but I would have doubts..
No one ever listens to Zathras.