Post Office Scandal Discussion

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 15 Jan 2024, 00:58

So, with the new ITV Drama about the Post Office Scandal, it has come back in the public eye again. The drama is very good at explaining what these postmasters went through as it is traumatic being accused of stealing when you clearly haven't done anything wrong. 

Has anyone else watched the drama or known about the scandal before it came out? I know my mum (she's an aspiring barrister and knows a lot of criminal subjects) she was very angry at what happened to these people and how long it took for them to get justice. Sadly, some aren't able to even see.
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 15 Jan 2024, 15:39

I've not seen the drama, but so many questions need answers.

What was it, over 700 incidents? If a private company prosecuted that many of it's managers for theft, alarm bells would be ringing very loudly.

Where did they think all this money had gone, and what evidence did they have that it even existed in the first place? These people they accused of stealing tens of thousands of pounds weren't living extravagant lifestyles, buying big houses, expensive cars, or luxury holidays.

Also, they didn't involve the Police. They investigated themselves, and took the "criminals" to court themselves, so had no need to justify their actions. This level of fanaticism is akin to something that you see in a cult, dictatorship or revolution.

J'Accuse - Off with their heads!
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 15 Jan 2024, 17:01

What gets me about the whole sordid affair, is that it was the Tories who started it all in the first place, when they privatised the Postal service several years ago, yet they're imposing sanctions on the workers? Eh?
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 15 Jan 2024, 18:37

Rich-Allen1976 wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 17:01
What gets me about the whole sordid affair, is that it was the Tories who started it all in the first place, when they privatised the Postal service several years ago, yet they're imposing sanctions on the workers? Eh?

The post office is owned by the government which is why they didn't need to involve the police as they had a stance above the law which is stupid in itself

Ojisama wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 15:39

Where did they think all this money had gone, and what evidence did they have that it even existed in the first place? These people they accused of stealing tens of thousands of pounds weren't living extravagant lifestyles, buying big houses, expensive cars, or luxury holidays.

Yes, I would understand if they came an investigated the postmasters wearing Gucci or suddenly quit their jobs for a holiday in Ibiza and plus they should know from their reactions it wasn't guilty it was scared for their lives.
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 15 Jan 2024, 20:41

LikkleMel wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 18:37
Rich-Allen1976 wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 17:01

The post office is owned by the government which is why they didn't need to involve the police as they had a stance above the law which is stupid in itself

Ojisama wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 15:39

Yes, I would understand if they came an investigated the postmasters wearing Gucci or suddenly quit their jobs for a holiday in Ibiza and plus they should know from their reactions it wasn't guilty it was scared for their lives.

No one is above the law, especially the Tories when they pretty much ARE the law (until the GE)
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)