GDPR regarding mobile numbers?

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 12 Jan 2024, 18:40

How legal is it for companies to sell mobile numbers for advertising and stuff under GDPR? I know not to put my mobile number anywhere online unless it's a requirement for ID like job applications and stuff, however I keep getting sales calls on the mobile from companies I've never dealt with before and probably wouldn't.

Like yesterday morning, someone rang up trying to sell me a new washing machine! Being in a Housing Association Flat, that kind of thing is serviced/provided by them, so why would I ring an external company/how did they get my number?

I am aware of Google, and I'm a bit concerned about this.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 12 Jan 2024, 22:54

Hmm. Not entirely sure on this one.

GDPR does say that your personal details cannot be shared without your consent, BUT some forms require you to opt in, and some forms require you to opt out so you need to read the statements carefully. For example, your Bank will share details with subsidiary companies unless you say no.

It is also possible that your details were obtained through the hack of an organisation and then they were sold on by the hackers. Some years ago, when Yahoo was hacked, my account was one of those that got compromised. There was a different attitude then, and I didn't find out until months later.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 13 Jan 2024, 09:38

Some companies are sneaky about it because it could depend on where they are situated and data protection laws can vary between country to country. To be clear *all* personal data should be protected under the GDPR. Like Oji said it's possible for personal details to be breached. Depending on the database design and the companies protocols it's actually not hard if they are not thorough with security. They could also claim you consented which sometimes the consent is more discreet than others and you may have accidentally done that. I would absolutely raise this point to whoever you last gave details to because I've had fallen into a scam once where I gave details to what looks like a legitimate site but I had details sold off to elsewhere and they claimed I signed up to them for some kind of service (never did) which lead them to charge me £30 for a service I never signed up for. I made a complaint that I never gave bank details or an email and even threatened with the police

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 15 Jan 2024, 21:15

Ojisama wrote:
12 Jan 2024, 22:54
Hmm. Not entirely sure on this one.

GDPR does say that your personal details cannot be shared without your consent, BUT some forms require you to opt in, and some forms require you to opt out so you need to read the statements carefully. For example, your Bank will share details with subsidiary companies unless you say no.

It is also possible that your details were obtained through the hack of an organisation and then they were sold on by the hackers. Some years ago, when Yahoo was hacked, my account was one of those that got compromised. There was a different attitude then, and I didn't find out until months later.

And THAT right there's how they get away with it most of the time, these companies aren't daft, they know almost nobody actually reads the small print on anything.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)