Would Fibre Broadband work without a Landline?

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 03 Jan 2024, 16:19

Above.

I am trying to reduce the cost of my package from Sky as it's currently about £146 a month for Fibre/Landline/Internet/TV, I can't get any other provider because about 18 months ago I cancelled Plusnet in favour of Sky because PN were being annoying, and their Landline didn't work, and I can't get Virgin (and wouldn't if I could due to an annoying language barrier with Foreign call centres, same with Talk Talk)

Anyway, can anyone advise?

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 03 Jan 2024, 16:27

Yes, broadband and landline are separate things. I'm pretty sure most landline is really IPphone by now which would work over your broadband. Basically just an extra feature enabled in your modem. Don't know what provider to recommend since I'm not based in the UK.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 03 Jan 2024, 17:17

Beerkeg wrote:
03 Jan 2024, 16:27
Yes, broadband and landline are separate things. I'm pretty sure most landline is really IPphone by now which would work over your broadband. Basically just an extra feature enabled in your modem. Don't know what provider to recommend since I'm not based in the UK.

However, can anyone who IS based in the UK please advise? I am aware of Google.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Elgood81
Nep-Nep Member
Nep-Nep Member
Great Britain

Post by Elgood81 » 05 Jan 2024, 07:28

I’m with BT for my internet provider. I don’t have fibre just high speed broadband and it’s good enough for me.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 05 Jan 2024, 08:14

Elgood81 wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 07:28
I’m with BT for my internet provider. I don’t have fibre just high speed broadband and it’s good enough for me.

Yebbut do you need a Landline for it to work? :D

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 05 Jan 2024, 19:47

Why not just call up the provider and ask them? They'd know what kind of service they can provide and what features are optional.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 05 Jan 2024, 20:02

Beerkeg wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 19:47
Why not just call up the provider and ask them? They'd know what kind of service they can provide and what features are optional.

I did, this morning.

They said because I have a call package on the landline, if I was to remove that, my costs would be through the roof! She offered me Sky Mobile and if I wasn't still paying off my current mobile for about another 2 and half years, I'd have took her up.

However, they have an offer on at the moment on Sky Cinema, which runs out at the end of March, so after then I'm cancelling.

Meh, I have the majority of the good movies on Blu Ray or DVD anyway.

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 06 Jan 2024, 10:52

They charge more to have a feature removed? Well thats dumb... its literally just a checkbox on their end they have to untick and its less server usage for them...

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 06 Jan 2024, 11:35

Beerkeg wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 10:52
They charge more to have a feature removed? Well thats dumb... its literally just a checkbox on their end they have to untick and its less server usage for them...

I've just renewed my contract last October, and to be honest I'd rather put up with Sky than go back on Talk Talk, or even worse, back on Plusnet (I can't get Virgin Media, and for various reasons I wouldn't)