Could I get a 32-40 inch "Smart" TV for under £200?

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 26 Nov 2023, 11:47

Above.

I did originally order a TLC one on Amazon for £139, but it wouldnt've come till Friday and I need one quicker than that.

I've also tried Curry's, but both my cards have failed on there and they can't deliver, and the only branch to collect is at Parkgate in Rotherham (which is on the Tram route but still a pain to go as I'd have to carry a big telly back on the Tram!)

I've also looked at Argos, but they don't have any affordable ones to collect from Meadowhall branch, the closest would probably be Archer Road Sainsbury's down Abbeydale.

I have used Google.

They sell "Smart" TVs in North America/Canada, but I am in the UK.

I'd even accept a slightly smaller TV at 24 inches if it's a good brand that works.

Don't tell me to buy a second hand one on eBay, that's NOT an option.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

UnmeiNoTenshi
Standard Member
Wales

Achievements

Post by UnmeiNoTenshi » 26 Nov 2023, 13:05

Might not be something you'd like to do, but have you considered Littlewoods?

It's a pay monthly thing and I've never had any issues when using them before.

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 26 Nov 2023, 16:30

Here's a radical idea. Use CASH.

If you are prepared to travel to collect, travel to buy.

I think Curry's at Meadowhall have a HISENSE 32A4KTUK 32" Smart HD Ready LED TV currently £159, and there are plenty of ATMs to get cash from. If they don't have any in stock tomorrow, they can deliver within 3 days.

There is also a JVC model currently £139.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 26 Nov 2023, 16:41

Ojisama wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 16:30

I think Curry's at Meadowhall have a HISENSE 32A4KTUK 32" Smart HD Ready LED TV currently £159, and there are plenty of ATMs to get cash from. If they don't have any in stock tomorrow, they can deliver within 3 days.

With respect old chap, almost nobody uses cash for anything these days.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 26 Nov 2023, 17:17

richardallen1976 wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 16:41
Ojisama wrote:

With the issues that you have with your cards, I would humbly suggest that you give it strong consideration for local purchases. Also, although the situation is improving, a lot of traders at Cons still only take, or prefer to take, cash.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 26 Nov 2023, 19:04

Ojisama wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 17:17
richardallen1976 wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 16:41
Ojisama wrote:

With the issues that you have with your cards, I would humbly suggest that you give it strong consideration for local purchases. Also, although the situation is improving, a lot of traders at Cons still only take, or prefer to take, cash.

I only attend about 4 cons a year and even then they've got to be within an hour's Train journey from Sheffield, the only exception this year was Nottingham in June, but that was only because for various reasons we had to miss Elsecar in May.

I know we came to Sheffield twice in September, but arguably that doesn't count as 4 cons, as it's the same one twice :D

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 01 Dec 2023, 13:10

Ojisama wrote:

2 problems:

1) I don't have the cash
2) Same problem with the logistics of carrying a big TV back on the Tram from Rotherham.