Do you agree that ALL protests should be banned?

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Should ALL protests be banned?

Yes
11%
No
89%
I don't know
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 9

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 13 Nov 2023, 09:08

For once I actually agree with #CruellaBraverman that ALL protests should be banned, due to the small minority of idiots who can't protest peacefully without antagonising local law enforcement Officers.

Do you agree?

I am of course referring to the atrocities in London this past weekend for Remembrance Day, and Pro Palestine group marches.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 13 Nov 2023, 13:46

protests help enact social change and show the world what ugly heads it has

do you want fascism? this is how you get fascism

Beex
Lucky Cat Member
Lucky Cat Member
United States of America

Post by Beex » 13 Nov 2023, 15:32

No. It's part of free speech. Even when I don't agree with the words, they have the right to be spoken/heard.

"You mess with the cat, you get the litter!"

╱|、b
(˚ˎ 。7 e
|、˜〵 e
じしˍ,)ノx

"Beep boop meow!" - Robo-Fortune, Skullgirls

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The goddess Eris pads her chest.- Aqua

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

GFX by:Ioreth

UnmeiNoTenshi
Standard Member
Wales

Achievements

Post by UnmeiNoTenshi » 13 Nov 2023, 17:39

It's free speech even if I don't agree with whatever the protest might be about.

In this case I agree with the Pro Palestinian marches, for one they weren't even near the Cenotaph in London.

Secondly, Israel and the minority of Jewish people needs to stop accusing people of anti-semitic behaviour whenever people disagree with them, and stop bringing up the holocaust each time as well. Especially since they're doing the exact same thing to the Palestinians right now when ten times the amount have been killed compared to the initial Hamas attacks.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 13 Nov 2023, 18:10

lolin wrote:
13 Nov 2023, 13:46
protests help enact social change and show the world what ugly heads it has

do you want fascism? this is how you get fascism

Nope, I just strongly disagree with people who can't protest peacefully, there's almost always a certain element in ANY protest who are just there to cause as much bother as is humanly possible.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 13 Nov 2023, 18:22

if you think peaceful protest is enough of a measure to create meaningful change, have i got news for you : (

stonewall riots, civil rights movements (malcolm x), and the kent state shootings are helpful for understanding that sometimes you have to shove someone over to change

i'll say this: the people protesting AGAINST the protesters sure as heck won't be peaceful

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 13 Nov 2023, 18:46

lolin wrote:
13 Nov 2023, 18:22
if you think peaceful protest is enough of a measure to create meaningful change, have i got news for you : (

stonewall riots, civil rights movements (malcolm x), and the kent state shootings are helpful for understanding that sometimes you have to shove someone over to change

i'll say this: the people protesting AGAINST the protesters sure as heck won't be peaceful

Meh, I still think they should lock 'em up and chuck the keys in the nearest bottomless Pit.

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 14 Nov 2023, 10:36

We wouldn't have got many rights without them. Plus banning all protests would exclude peaceful protests which despite what you see on the media it is something *most* protests strive for, you just don't see that on the news because they like to cover all the bad and dangerous protests to present this exact narrative that protests are bad.

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 14 Nov 2023, 19:31

I hate protests cause they block the roads. Protest if you want, just get off the damn road and let me drive, I got places to be and work to do, I don't want part in your petty squabbles. I will say I've never felt safe near any protest. The people there always look like wild animals about to pounce.

belsammael
Veteran Member
Netherlands

Achievements

Post by belsammael » 16 Nov 2023, 15:12

Everybody has a right to let their voice be heard, freedom of speech is an important right to have in a modern and liberal society. That being said, there are of course limits to what you can do, which are usually contained in laws etc. ie if you protest for the return of the Nazi regime and emphasize your point by bringing plenty of illegal and dangerous fireworks, there might be some consequences.
But it's up to the authorities to make sure protests follow the rules and remain peaceful. If that isn't upheld, you get chaos.
No one ever listens to Zathras.