Ask a daft question - Get an even dafter answer!

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 15 Oct 2023, 13:05

To start off, is it just me or do Supermarkets in general need to employ more Checkout staff? Most people hate self service machines.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 16 Oct 2023, 09:54

I really like the self service machines. I don't want to stand in line and interact with people. Specially when I'm going in to get a drink and theres 6 people in the line, all of whom have several carts of stuff stacked up looking like they're about to head on some sort of apocalypse themed holiday. I'd have to wait for hours before those people clear up, I'd rather take my chances stealing the damn drink at that point.
I don't know if you have them in the UK, but here we have like remote scanner things, scan a card, get remote, boop your items as you get them, put remote away, scan card, pay, gtfo. Its great, saves loads of time and since you're scanning everything as you pick them up, you don't really have to do any extra work and since the checkout is so quick, theres never any lines, you're out in 30 sec max. The card doesn't cost anything, they don't send you ad spam about deals, no extra charge, no restrictions on who can get one, don't have to confirm registration so you don't have to give them any of your real info. I put my name as LolNo NotForSale, for the phone and e-mail, well i got that from their own "Contact us" page, my address is "Midgard", 10 years in and no questions asked. There really is no excuse not to use it and yet we have people here as well who'd rather stand in line and waste their own time, I don't get it. The ones where you have to boop your things at are a bit more inconvenient, but still better than waiting in line. You don't really do anything extra. You still gotta bag up your own stuff, the scanning doesn't take any more effort than unloading your stuff at the normal checkout so why do people hate the self service?

As for daft questions, I'm not that great at daft things.... I dunno, how are so many people able to become bored when they've got nothing to do? Don't they have a brain to entertain themselves with?

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 16 Oct 2023, 10:40

Beerkeg wrote:
16 Oct 2023, 09:54
I really like the self service machines. I don't want to stand in line and interact with people. Specially when I'm going in to get a drink and theres 6 people in the line, all of whom have several carts of stuff stacked up looking like they're about to head on some sort of apocalypse themed holiday. I'd have to wait for hours before those people clear up, I'd rather take my chances stealing the damn drink at that point.
I don't know if you have them in the UK, but here we have like remote scanner things, scan a card, get remote, boop your items as you get them, put remote away, scan card, pay, gtfo. Its great, saves loads of time and since you're scanning everything as you pick them up, you don't really have to do any extra work and since the checkout is so quick, theres never any lines, you're out in 30 sec max. The card doesn't cost anything, they don't send you ad spam about deals, no extra charge, no restrictions on who can get one, don't have to confirm registration so you don't have to give them any of your real info. I put my name as LolNo NotForSale, for the phone and e-mail, well i got that from their own "Contact us" page, my address is "Midgard", 10 years in and no questions asked. There really is no excuse not to use it and yet we have people here as well who'd rather stand in line and waste their own time, I don't get it. The ones where you have to boop your things at are a bit more inconvenient, but still better than waiting in line. You don't really do anything extra. You still gotta bag up your own stuff, the scanning doesn't take any more effort than unloading your stuff at the normal checkout so why do people hate the self service?

As for daft questions, I'm not that great at daft things.... I dunno, how are so many people able to become bored when they've got nothing to do? Don't they have a brain to entertain themselves with?

Because if you're buying certain items, such as Alcohol or Dad's annual bottle of Whisky, I have to flag down a human to verify I'm over 18 (I'm 47 and look considerably over 25 even clean shaven), I was in Tesco doing a shop last week, the bloody Till roll got stuck printing the receipt so I had flag a human down to fix it, which negates the purpose of SELF service machines IMO.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 16 Oct 2023, 11:06

Alright yes, when buying alcohol and tobacco you gotta go through a person for good reason, if you're buying these every time you're in the shop, you may have a problem.
And yes, everything breaks down occasionally.
However, I don't think the rare annoyance is a valid reason to hate it.
Afterall we are supposed to be evolving, heading to the future. We're supposed to remove people from pointless jobs, I've been working hard doing that for the past 10 years by replacing people with machines in factories.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 16 Oct 2023, 13:46

Beerkeg wrote:
16 Oct 2023, 11:06
Alright yes, when buying alcohol and tobacco you gotta go through a person for good reason, if you're buying these every time you're in the shop, you may have a problem.
And yes, everything breaks down occasionally.
However, I don't think the rare annoyance is a valid reason to hate it.
Afterall we are supposed to be evolving, heading to the future. We're supposed to remove people from pointless jobs, I've been working hard doing that for the past 10 years by replacing people with machines in factories.

So you support mass unemployment? You have issues, and that's being kind! :rage:

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 16 Oct 2023, 15:42

Beerkeg wrote:
We're supposed to remove people from pointless jobs.

Right now I could do with a pointless job, and replacing people with machines only works if the population is declining, as you place a greater burden on social measures such as benefits. If Supermarkets don't need as many staff, where does the next generation go to earn money? Corporation tax needs to go up so that the money "saved" to increase profits is pumped back into social care. Also, less people earning means less Revenue from Income Tax.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 16 Oct 2023, 16:01

Ojisama wrote:
16 Oct 2023, 15:42
Beerkeg wrote:

Right now I could do with a pointless job, and replacing people with machines only works if the population is declining, as you place a greater burden on social measures such as benefits. If Supermarkets don't need as many staff, where does the next generation go to earn money? Corporation tax needs to go up so that the money "saved" to increase profits is pumped back into social care. Also, less people earning means less Revenue from Income Tax.

Yeah but the idiots in Whitehall don't think of that! The likes of #Sunakered are living it up in their Ivory Towers while us poor people are literally killing ourselves trying to make ends meet.

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 16 Oct 2023, 19:35

Ojisama wrote:
Beerkeg wrote:

Meh, its all a matter of how you look at it. I'm innovating, making things more efficient, moving the world towards the future. I'm not denying that it causes issues currently, cause yeah we got way too many people in the world. On the other hand, more efficient production means lower production cost and a lower price for the end user and since we're constantly overpopulating, we're gonna need that efficient production to meet demands.

As for the next generation. Don't you find it odd that everyone is going to college/uni when they don't have the aptitude to apply their degree in the real world? Sure, its partially their fault for going for degrees with low demand cause they heard the field pays well, but most young people don't really think about the demand for what they're going to go learn.

I'm an engineer, I build machines in factories, this is my job. I work together with other engineers, designing new machines for production. Efficiency is my highest priority, make a machine that works with as little human input as possible. Which would you rather buy, a pillow made by machines to exact specs for £15 or a handmade pillow for £70? You can make a pillow factory without any machines, but look at how much these educated youngsters are demanding for a menial job, all your stuff is going to cost a fortune.

I don't know what taxes do what for who, thats finance. I like taxes, they pay for all the things that make things around me better.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 16 Oct 2023, 19:45

Beerkeg wrote:
16 Oct 2023, 19:35
Ojisama wrote:
Beerkeg wrote:

Meh, its all a matter of how you look at it. I'm innovating, making things more efficient, moving the world towards the future. I'm not denying that it causes issues currently, cause yeah we got way too many people in the world. On the other hand, more efficient production means lower production cost and a lower price for the end user and since we're constantly overpopulating, we're gonna need that efficient production to meet demands.

As for the next generation. Don't you find it odd that everyone is going to college/uni when they don't have the aptitude to apply their degree in the real world? Sure, its partially their fault for going for degrees with low demand cause they heard the field pays well, but most young people don't really think about the demand for what they're going to go learn.

I'm an engineer, I build machines in factories, this is my job. I work together with other engineers, designing new machines for production. Efficiency is my highest priority, make a machine that works with as little human input as possible. Which would you rather buy, a pillow made by machines to exact specs for £15 or a handmade pillow for £70? You can make a pillow factory without any machines, but look at how much these educated youngsters are demanding for a menial job, all your stuff is going to cost a fortune.

I don't know what taxes do what for who, thats finance. I like taxes, they pay for all the things that make things around me better. 

You might like

then! :D

British classic!

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 16 Oct 2023, 20:17

Ooo catchy... Thats going in my moderate chuckle folder!
I don't like those people near those moving parts tho. I swear, the amount of safety features we have to incorporate to every machine makes me think it'll be operated by monkeys.
We engineers also do "monkey tests" where we fling ourselves at the machine, trying to find the dumbest place someone could stick themself because if we don't secure it, one of those monkeys will find a way to lose their fleshy bits to it.

Tuffin
Miyu Member
Miyu Member
United States of America

Post by Tuffin » 18 Oct 2023, 01:19

i came here for daft
and saw walls of text
sooooooo

im out :smoke:

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 18 Oct 2023, 14:57

Tuffin wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 01:19
i came here for daft
and saw walls of text
sooooooo

You in you out you shake it all about? :confuse:

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 18 Oct 2023, 15:12

Oh... didn't even realize this was CL... umm.... why come sky purple sometime, but not all time?

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 18 Oct 2023, 15:42

Beerkeg wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 15:12
Oh... didn't even realize this was CL... umm.... why come sky purple sometime, but not all time?

I paint it purple but sometimes brain goes sleepies so I can't be bothered :zzz:

Why do we cook bacon but bake cookies? :confuse:

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 18 Oct 2023, 19:43

Tuffin wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 01:19
i came here for daft
and saw walls of text
sooooooo

Point taken. Looks like I fell into the trap myself. I'll move this to General Discussion.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.