Because I can't get an in person job due to limited availability...

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 09 Oct 2023, 14:24

Are there any remote working jobs in the UK where I could basically set my own hours? I'm willing to do online sales, as long as it's not cold calling or physically having stock at the Flat, due to the rules of my tenancy I'm not allowed to use it as Business premises.

I actually applied for a remote sales gig via Indeed last week, but they're yet to even acknowledge my application.

I am very aware of Google.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 09 Oct 2023, 14:49

I doubt that you could get one where you would set your own hours, but maybe get hours close to what you want. The main problem would be that the maximum demand would be evenings and weekends, when people are at home and free to spend time on a call.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 09 Oct 2023, 15:09

Ojisama wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 14:49
I doubt that you could get one where you would set your own hours, but maybe get hours close to what you want. The main problem would be that the maximum demand would be evenings and weekends, when people are at home and free to spend time on a call.

Read the post, I said
I wrote:No cold calling

Also, I've just applied on Indeed for 3 remote working jobs part time, one of which I already got rejected for (eh?! Equal opportunities, my arse!)
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 09 Oct 2023, 15:27

richardallen1976 wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 15:09
Ojisama wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 14:49

Read the post, I said
I wrote:No cold calling

Also, I've just applied on Indeed for 3 remote working jobs part time, one of which I already got rejected for (eh?! Equal opportunities, my arse!)

Where did I say anything about cold calling?

If I'm chasing an order, or want to discuss something about a purchase, I'm going to phone at a time that suits me and, if I was still working, that would be in the evenings or at weekends.

The remote jobs I have seen on Indeed have all specified that evening and weekend availability is required. If you can't tick that box, you won't get through to the next stage regardless of how many arms, legs, eyes and ears you have (or have not) got.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 09 Oct 2023, 16:00

Ugh, why do I even bother? Fuck the Equality Act! Every time I declare my disability I get rejected!

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 09 Oct 2023, 17:01

I think we have a law here as well that says we have to take in anyone. However I usually don't. I work in a small company in a technical field, we don't have the staff to babysit someone who can't do the job. I see the argument online all the time "6years work experience in the field required, how am I supposed to get experience?" but the part that usually gets left out is that they could do internship for the experience, but since it doesn't pay as good they just ignore it. If I say in my ad that I want someone with experience, that means I'm looking for someone who knows what to do and can start working right away cause things need doing and I need people to do them. I don't mind taking on interns, I do it all the time. Mostly the students I will take on as unpaid interns and tell them if they can do work we can sell to a client, they'll get on the payroll as a way to encourage them to actually learn and become proficient.
Now I don't know what the law is in the UK, I don't know what your disabilities are and if you're suitable for the jobs you're looking for, thats none of my business. I'm just trying to provide a perspective you've not considered, the employers. We've had a few disabled people apply, I always invite them over for an interview. Some have heard we work with computers and they say they're on the computer all day, but they can't write code, which means they're unsuitable for us. People who can't drive, which means they can't go on site. People who can't use a computer for longer than 2 hours a day. Why would I hire these people, they can't do the job. Just to have someone around and keep the government happy until I can find someone who can do the job? At that point why not just reject everyone and see if I can recruit someone directly to get passed the whole "you have to take on anyone" law?

If you are capable of doing the jobs you apply for, call them up or just show up at their offices. Tell them you'll join as an intern, fewer worries for the company and they can see if you can actually do the job without having to go through legal shenanigans to get rid of you if you're uncapable of doing the job.

Its not always "we won't take you on, because you're disabled", a lot of the time its "we can't take you on, because we don't have the people".

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 16 Oct 2023, 20:21

Beerkeg wrote:
09 Oct 2023, 17:01
I think we have a law here as well that says we have to take in anyone. However I usually don't. I work in a small company in a technical field, we don't have the staff to babysit someone who can't do the job. I see the argument online all the time "6years work experience in the field required, how am I supposed to get experience?" but the part that usually gets left out is that they could do internship for the experience, but since it doesn't pay as good they just ignore it. If I say in my ad that I want someone with experience, that means I'm looking for someone who knows what to do and can start working right away cause things need doing and I need people to do them. I don't mind taking on interns, I do it all the time. Mostly the students I will take on as unpaid interns and tell them if they can do work we can sell to a client, they'll get on the payroll as a way to encourage them to actually learn and become proficient.
Now I don't know what the law is in the UK, I don't know what your disabilities are and if you're suitable for the jobs you're looking for, thats none of my business. I'm just trying to provide a perspective you've not considered, the employers. We've had a few disabled people apply, I always invite them over for an interview. Some have heard we work with computers and they say they're on the computer all day, but they can't write code, which means they're unsuitable for us. People who can't drive, which means they can't go on site. People who can't use a computer for longer than 2 hours a day. Why would I hire these people, they can't do the job. Just to have someone around and keep the government happy until I can find someone who can do the job? At that point why not just reject everyone and see if I can recruit someone directly to get passed the whole "you have to take on anyone" law?

If you are capable of doing the jobs you apply for, call them up or just show up at their offices. Tell them you'll join as an intern, fewer worries for the company and they can see if you can actually do the job without having to go through legal shenanigans to get rid of you if you're uncapable of doing the job.

Its not always "we won't take you on, because you're disabled", a lot of the time its "we can't take you on, because we don't have the people".

Over here, they introduced a new law about 13 years ago when the Tories first got back in, known as the Equality Act, kind of an update of the Disability Discrimination Act which came in about 15 years previous, and even that wasn't worth the paper it's printed on IMO.

Most companies say "We are a disability confident employer", except the vast majority don't mean it IMO, they just say it because it's a legal requirement under the new Act.