Should mobile phones be banned in schools?

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 7

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 02 Oct 2023, 08:03

Above.

In my day I never even had one, I didn't even get one till I was 25 and even then I had to have a special adaptor for it to work with my hearing aid.

Thoughts? Poll?

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 02 Oct 2023, 11:26

Yes. There is 0 reason for kids to have one. Nobody is going to use it for education. I had a phone back in school, back when phones had buttons and a 1.4" monochrome screen. All I ever used it for was to text people or play Space Impact during class. Some years later I used to carry a MP3 player to school and listen to music during class... still didn't help with education in any way. So banning them in school would be a neat way to stop kids getting distracted since you can't smack them with that long-ass ruler anymore :c .... ah good times... that thing hurt and you learned after the first smack.
After high school tho... you really should have grown up enough to know you should pay attention in class so sure kids at that point can carry phones in school.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 03 Oct 2023, 15:13

Link

Mobile phones have been banned in schools.

Only 30 odd years too late, but it's happened!

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 04 Oct 2023, 10:05

Heres the thing... this article at the end of the day means nothing because I can guarentee you pretty much all schools are already doing this. There is just not enough enforcement for it. News articles have stated that this is not going to be made law (as it stands) so what is the point? All teachers can do now is take the phones off the kids and give them back at the end of the lesson thats it! I had to take one phone off a kid at work yesterday he only got it back 10 mins later because it was towards the end of the lesson its not exactly teaching him anything is it? Its only going to happen again, and again and again. No clear cut action whatsoever over something that schools already do now smh

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 04 Oct 2023, 10:23

LilMissWerebear wrote:
04 Oct 2023, 10:05
Heres the thing... this article at the end of the day means nothing because I can guarentee you pretty much all schools are already doing this. There is just not enough enforcement for it. News articles have stated that this is not going to be made law (as it stands) so what is the point? All teachers can do now is take the phones off the kids and give them back at the end of the lesson thats it! I had to take one phone off a kid at work yesterday he only got it back 10 mins later because it was towards the end of the lesson its not exactly teaching him anything is it? Its only going to happen again, and again and again. No clear cut action whatsoever over something that schools already do now smh

What do you expect from this government? They've proven time and again they literally couldn't organise a piss up in a Brewery, and they're supposed to be running the flippin' Country.

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 04 Oct 2023, 11:05

Oh not a lot at this rate. If it hasnt been obvious already that they are avoiding issues that really matter then here is your sign! All while low key taking a stab at teachers telling them to "up their game" essentially. If the issue is that bad make it law already instead of just barking orders at people that are already doing the things

Lauren
VG mod

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 04 Oct 2023, 11:34

LilMissWerebear wrote:

Yeah taking the phone away isn't a punishment, its a minor inconvenience. Which is why the old ruler method worked and the pampering doesn't. You can only wiggle your finger and say "no, bad. Don't do that" for so long until you give up and if you don't teach them what is right and what is wrong, they will never learn when they get older.
Its even worse here cause you can't do anything to the children in school. Can't take their stuff away, can't give them detention, can't send them out of the class, can't yell at them, nothing. Whats the point of a school system like that. They don't have any shame, they don't know how to talk to adults, they don't behave in public. Its just sad to see.

Also I'm not talking child abuse. I don't mean that parents should head home and beat their kids just out of habit or just cause they can. What I'm talking about is systematic learning. Fail once, thats fine, I'll explain what you did wrong. Fail twice, it happens, do you remember what I said last time about this. Fail a third time, you're not learning, deploying countermeasures. Fail again, evaluate, proceed based on level of experience gained. And when you do supply the punishment, its reasonable. Something they'll remember for a few hours, not days or weeks.
You may think thats horrible, well I think teaching children to fail and be content with failing is a far worse method of child abuse.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 04 Oct 2023, 12:13

Beerkeg wrote:
04 Oct 2023, 11:34
LilMissWerebear wrote:

Yeah taking the phone away isn't a punishment, its a minor inconvenience. Which is why the old ruler method worked and the pampering doesn't. You can only wiggle your finger and say "no, bad. Don't do that" for so long until you give up and if you don't teach them what is right and what is wrong, they will never learn when they get older.
Its even worse here cause you can't do anything to the children in school. Can't take their stuff away, can't give them detention, can't send them out of the class, can't yell at them, nothing. Whats the point of a school system like that. They don't have any shame, they don't know how to talk to adults, they don't behave in public. Its just sad to see.

Also I'm not talking child abuse. I don't mean that parents should head home and beat their kids just out of habit or just cause they can. What I'm talking about is systematic learning. Fail once, thats fine, I'll explain what you did wrong. Fail twice, it happens, do you remember what I said last time about this. Fail a third time, you're not learning, deploying countermeasures. Fail again, evaluate, proceed based on level of experience gained. And when you do supply the punishment, its reasonable. Something they'll remember for a few hours, not days or weeks.
You may think thats horrible, well I think teaching children to fail and be content with failing is a far worse method of child abuse.

Corporal punishment was outlawed about 50 years ago, with good reason IMO.

And it'll never come back.

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 04 Oct 2023, 12:47

richardallen1976 wrote:
04 Oct 2023, 12:13

Just saying it was a good reason doesn't really mean anything. Care to elaborate what that good reason is in your opinion?

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 04 Oct 2023, 13:41

Beerkeg wrote:
04 Oct 2023, 12:47
richardallen1976 wrote:

Just saying it was a good reason doesn't really mean anything. Care to elaborate what that good reason is in your opinion?

Because these days, a kid being caned, would take the cane, shine it up real nice, and stuff it straight up the teacher's Candy ass! Sideways! :D

More to the point, the Parents would have a fit.

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 04 Oct 2023, 13:53

richardallen1976 wrote:
04 Oct 2023, 13:41
Beerkeg wrote:
richardallen1976 wrote:

Because these days, a kid being caned, would take the cane, shine it up real nice, and stuff it straight up the teacher's Candy ass! Sideways! :D

Well, yeah thats a given that everyone would flip out, but given the practical points I brought out earlier, I recon a reasonable level of punishment isn't a bad thing. You know, keep the whips and spiked bats for the bedroom. Verbally raising a kid is possible, it happens all the time, but some parents aren't very good at that whole parenting thing....
Dog trainers use a reasonable level of pain to train the dogs don't they? Kids are basically dogs, except worse at learning...

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 04 Oct 2023, 15:23

Beerkeg wrote:
04 Oct 2023, 13:53
richardallen1976 wrote:
04 Oct 2023, 13:41
Beerkeg wrote:

Well, yeah thats a given that everyone would flip out, but given the practical points I brought out earlier, I recon a reasonable level of punishment isn't a bad thing. You know, keep the whips and spiked bats for the bedroom. Verbally raising a kid is possible, it happens all the time, but some parents aren't very good at that whole parenting thing....
Dog trainers use a reasonable level of pain to train the dogs don't they? Kids are basically dogs, except worse at learning...

Yebbut it's the same as "reasonable adjustments" for employing the disabled, what's "reasonable" is open to interpretation at the end user's discretion.

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 04 Oct 2023, 15:58

Well by reasonable I mean what I said earlier, something you'll feel for a few hours or I guess up to a few hours. It is still your kid and the idea is to train them, not cripple them.
I understand why its been banned, I'm just arguing the point that applied correctly, it is an effective method and the results are better than no intervention at all, like what we have currently.

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 04 Oct 2023, 17:13

It's both the kids not holding themselves accountable when they do get caught and it's the parents letting them get away with things. If saw the teachers need to phone parents up telling that lil Billy has had his phone confiscated parents now will just lose their shit and stay mad at the school not even telling their own kids off! When I was in school which it's been nearly 10 years now none of this would be ok. Discipline has gone downhill for real

Lauren
VG mod

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 07 Oct 2023, 17:08

The biggest problem is that Parents see school as "free child care", they don't care if little Timmy's actually learning anything, and don't even get me started on the fact that in the majority of schools, bullying, particularly of the less academically and physically able, is rife, yet school Chiefs won't admit it's even a thing in their school.