Work Capability Assessments from the DWP

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 24 Sep 2023, 19:33

Rumour has it the government wants to make these even more stringent to force more disabled people OFF benefits and into paid employment.

Having lived and gone to College with many disabled people who are mentally and physically not capable of working, I fail to see how even by the appalling standards of the Tories, this makes ANY sense other than to appease the right, who think ALL disabled people are workshy slaves to the benefit system, including guys like me.

And the majority of those "disability specific" non jobs in Factories etc were closed down years ago such as Remploy etc, good! The pay was an insultingly low £2 a day because all the workers were on benefits and could only earn pennies without the DWP jumped on them from a great height with sanctions.

There's even been a myriad of cases where someone who is clearly and obviously incapable of working, has been declared "fit to work" by the DWP fools, been removed from benefits, and gone on to top themselves! Yep! The DWP has blood on its hands IMO.

Thoughts?

Please do NOT go all Daily Mail/Telegraph on this topic.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 25 Sep 2023, 04:35

richardallen1976 wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 19:33
Thoughts?

>Give me your thoughts and opinions on the topic
>Only the opinions I like, don't say the things I don't like

Indeed... the best kind of debate...

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 25 Sep 2023, 06:52

Beerkeg wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 04:35
richardallen1976 wrote:
Thoughts?

Reported for trolling.

Calm your ass down, the Mods won't do anything.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 25 Sep 2023, 07:38

richardallen1976 wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 06:52
Beerkeg wrote:
richardallen1976 wrote:
Thoughts?

Reported for trolling.

You need to stop abusing the report button every time someone points out something you don't like. I posted my thoughts on your topic and well I clearly hit the nail on the head. You can't take any comments that don't agree with you. Why even ask for opinions when you don't want to hear them. Asking for people to agree with you isn't a debate since there wouldn't be any opposing opinions.
Now how about YOU calm down, think for a moment and then counter with a constructive reply, rather than another report abuse.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 25 Sep 2023, 07:40

Beerkeg wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 07:38
richardallen1976 wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 06:52
Beerkeg wrote:

Reported for trolling.

You need to stop abusing the report button every time someone points out something you don't like. I posted my thoughts on your topic and well I clearly hit the nail on the head. You can't take any comments that don't agree with you. Why even ask for opinions when you don't want to hear them. Asking for people to agree with you isn't a debate since there wouldn't be any opposing opinions.
Now how about YOU calm down, think for a moment and then counter with a constructive reply, rather than another report abuse.

You clearly did not read ALL of my post and just cherry picked the bit to antagonise me, that is classic trolling.

Do you see? :D

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 25 Sep 2023, 16:53

Tbf Rich, a debate is hearing all sides and all opinions even things you don't agree with. Saying that certain opinions aren't allowed in a debate isn't a debate. Beerkeg wasn't trolling here, so I've ignored the report.

Shall we try and get along and not attack each other for having different opinions?
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 25 Sep 2023, 19:43

Damn... if there are disabled people out there that are able to work I welcome that with open arms! It's what we need to get disabled people feel included again, provided employers are willing to make appropriate adjustments (some don't and I think that's where the workforce takes a backwards step). The disability itself shouldn't be a barrier but yet to the workforce it is.

I've worked with visually impaired kids, hearing impaired kids, kids with cerebral palsy, kids with Downs syndrome, kids with autism and learning difficulties and it made me think on multiple occasions how on earth they will make a living because todays society see disabled folk as throwaways because they may not be best fit for the workplace. I find this ridiculous. These same kids have bounds of potential to do what they want and they shouldn't have to subject to themselves to dealing with DWP day in day out in the future (sad thing is they probably will) because a vast majority of the workforce won't take them for who they are.

Take the statistics for autistic adults for example. Quite a fair chunk of us are in fact fit for work but yet only 15-20% are employed because employers won't make the correct accommodations(if any) to limit autistic burnout and a lot of people quit or get fired. This is not DWPs fault, it's the employers.

I also read an article of how there is quite a substantial gap in unemployment rates between disabled and abled(?- apologies for wording if incorrect) people. I would have loved to have seen a breakdown of the statistics but sadly I couldn't find specifics other than the proportion of unemployed folk.

Final point to add, the DWP are only doing there job to get people back into work. Yes they are annoying but to assume that they are in the wrong when they are supposedly throwing people who are not fit for work *into* work when you now have remote jobs that exist AND it's also the employers job to provide accomodations (if they don't, it's on them its illegal) then all you are doing is purposefully limiting yourself. I am a firm believer that everyone, disabled or not have all the potential to get a job and work in it- just barriers need to be removed.

Gonna round this off by saying first of all, sorry for the long reply lol. I would also like to echo the fact that I'm all for getting disabled folk into employment, it will narrow the unemployment gap and it will hopefully get employers to buckle up and actually give people the correct accommodations when needed. Parents of disabled children will no longer need to worry what their kids future will hold if they actually get accepted into society as a working citizen. If you don't agree with any of this, fair. But this is something I personally want to investigate further, most likely in the form of a data analysis project in my final year of uni. We are supposed to be a forwards moving society and to this day it's anything but with how disabled people are just excluded and not seen as useful. I've seen the potential of our future and I have friends who are disabled. A disability is a barrier, not a way to say you definitely can do things. There just needs to be the right support.

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 25 Sep 2023, 22:45

at least in the US, the disabled are thoroughly thrown under the bus

we expect them to make something of themselves and "pick us up by the bootstraps"

little did we know that they try and struggle every day, and that some difficulties those on the outside can't even conceive of because they're so foreign to them and they've never tried to put themselves in their shoes

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 26 Sep 2023, 06:50

lolin wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 22:45
at least in the US, the disabled are thoroughly thrown under the bus

we expect them to make something of themselves and "pick us up by the bootstraps"

little did we know that they try and struggle every day, and that some difficulties those on the outside can't even conceive of because they're so foreign to them and they've never tried to put themselves in their shoes

It's the same this side of the Atlantic, the government knows a LOT of disabled people aren't mentally or physically capable of working but they're like "sod 'em, we'll cut their benefits and force 'em to work!" and then the disabled people go off and kill themselves! Yep, the government has innocent blood on its hands IMO.

And apparently Labour's back tracked on their promises to investigate all the needless deaths at the hands of the Department of Work and Pensions' evil benefit cuts, which has definitely cost them my vote.