Should all Cafes have disabled toilets?

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Yes
43%
Depends on the size of the building
14%
No
43%
Other (please keep respectful)
No votes

Total votes: 7

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 24 Sep 2023, 12:30

Having just had a coffee in the Extra Life Gaming Lounge in Town, I was quite shocked that the only available toilets are down 2 flights of stairs and there's no disabled facilities on the ground floor!

I was under the impression it's a legal requirement for all Cafes to have some form of disabled facilities?

Vote in the Poll and discuss.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 24 Sep 2023, 18:46

WTF kind of an ableist idiot votes no?
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 24 Sep 2023, 19:16

From 2021, all NEW cafe's and restaurants are required to provide a "Changing Space" (large access disabled toilet) suitable for disabled access, but the regulations are NOT retroactive. Existing establishments are not REQUIRED to provide any, but are encouraged to do so where it is reasonable and practical to do so.

How much seating does the Gaming Lounge have?

Establishments with 10 or less customer seating are not required to provide any toilet facilities AT ALL, other than for staff, but are required to provide facilities for the use of disabled staff, if they have any, but those facilities do not need to be made available to customers.

Many of our more historic towns and cities are filled with snack bars, tea rooms and cafe's that do not have disabled toilets, or in some cases cannot even accept disabled customers due to stairs going up or down to their entrances.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 24 Sep 2023, 19:21

Ojisama wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 19:16
From 2021, all NEW cafe's and restaurants are required to provide a "Changing Space" (large access disabled toilet) suitable for disabled access, but the regulations are NOT retroactive. Existing establishments are not REQUIRED to provide any, but are encouraged to do so where it is reasonable and practical to do so.

Establishments with 10 or less customer seating are not required to provide any toilet facilities AT ALL, other than for staff, but are required to provide facilities for the use of disabled staff, if they have any, but those facilities do not need to be made available to customers.

Many of our more historic towns and cities are filled with snack bars, tea rooms and cafe's that do not have disabled toilets, or in some cases cannot even accept disabled customers due to stairs going up or down to their entrances.

Which is probably HIGHLY illegal under the Equality Act never mind other anti-discrimination laws.

I've been in tea rooms in some of those small Towns out in Derbyshire, they're very picturesque, but totally inaccessible to Wheelchair users in most cases.

But knowing the Tories it's unlikely they'll ever do anything to make things better, although even Labour have backtracked on their promises to make life better for the disabled.

That's a topic for another thread though.

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 24 Sep 2023, 19:36

richardallen1976 wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 19:21
Ojisama wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 19:16

Which is probably HIGHLY illegal under the Equality Act never mind other anti-discrimination laws.

But knowing the Tories it's unlikely they'll ever do anything to make things better, although even Labour have backtracked on their promises to make life better for the disabled.

That's a topic for another thread though.

Did you not read the first line of my reply?

Oh sorry, I missed out the words "The Equality Act." It should read...

The Equality Act of 2010 states that, from 2021, all NEW cafe's and restaurants are required to provide...

I should also point out that if the eating establishment is inside a larger shopping mall that does have disabled toilets, it is reasonable for them to rely on those for their provision.

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 24 Sep 2023, 19:42

richardallen1976 wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 18:46

It's a poll, and everybody is entitled to their opinion. You included the option so you must have expected that it might have been chosen.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 24 Sep 2023, 19:48

Ojisama wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 19:42
richardallen1976 wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 18:46

It's a poll, and everybody is entitled to their opinion. You included the option so you must have expected that it might have been chosen.

I was rather hoping it wouldn't.