Any disability friendly TKD clubs in Sheffield?

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 13 Jul 2023, 14:01

Above.

I think @Ojisama might be best placed to answer this.

I still want to train, but at my age (late 40s) I can't really go to another club as they'd make me start right back at 10th Kup (white belt) when I achieved 5th Kup (blue stripe) last September.

To cut a long and boring story short, my current teacher tells me to my face that he makes allowances for my physical limits, I personally don't think he does as he keeps saying no every 3 months when it's grading season.

Can anyone help? I'm in a few other TKD groups on Facebook but I'm under strict orders not to mention my club by name without asking.

I am also aware of Google, the majority of Googling Sheffield related stuff links back to Sheffield Forum, from which I got banned a few months ago.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 13 Jul 2023, 14:24

I wonder if it's worth asking Disability Facebook groups? I'm assuming there's something like that for Sheffield if a small town like Halifax has a group like that surely Sheffield would too, no?

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 13 Jul 2023, 14:44

I'll have a look.

As mentioned though, I'm not allowed to mention my club by name without express permission off Sir.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 13 Jul 2023, 14:52

Oh yeah, sure just ask the same question you just asked here I'm sure you will be fine see what people say if you can find a group :)

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 13 Jul 2023, 20:10

I must admit that I personally don't know of any specific clubs in Sheffield that you could approach, but I will ask our Senior Instructor if he knows anybody. He knows a lot of the old time instructors from back in the day.

Alternatively, you could enquire with some of the National Organisations.

NAKMAS - Telephone: 01227 370055
Email: admin@nakmas.org.uk

WAKO - Tel: 01628 415923
Email: office@wakogb.com

You may know of some others, but those are the largest I believe.

You might like to send me a PM with your specific needs so I don't send you on a wild goose chase.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 14 Jul 2023, 15:17

Ojisama wrote:
13 Jul 2023, 20:10
I must admit that I personally don't know of any specific clubs in Sheffield that you could approach, but I will ask our Senior Instructor if he knows anybody. He knows a lot of the old time instructors from back in the day.

Alternatively, you could enquire with some of the National Organisations.

NAKMAS - Telephone: 01227 370055
Email: admin@nakmas.org.uk

WAKO - Tel: 01628 415923
Email: office@wakogb.com

You may know of some others, but those are the largest I believe.

You might like to send me a PM with your specific needs so I don't send you on a wild goose chase.

I rang NAKMAS this morning, they said they'd get someone to call me.

I also sent them a rather long email last night, which hasn't been responded to and probably won't.