Video editing on Linux (need a free app)

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 15 May 2023, 14:16

I managed to download and run KDenlive last week, which was free and pretty good, however they say DaVinciResolve's more powerful, I've downloaded it but it needs extra faffery through Linux to get it to work, and I do not have admin rights on this PC because my Brother doesn't trust me to not install virused stuff.

I can download and integrate appimages without the admin password.

I am aware of Google and have been using it.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 15 May 2023, 14:57

DaVinciResolve is pretty terrible, better off with kdenlive.
If you want something less bloated than the KDE nightmare that is kdenlive then try Flowblade. FOSS, written in python so writing your own scripts couldn't be easier.
Shotcut is alright.. also FOSS

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 05 Jun 2023, 10:12

I managed to use Shotcut to export a video filmed on my Webcam last weekend, smaller file sizes, MP4 for YouTube.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 06 Jun 2023, 16:15

If you need to convert video/audio files to specific formats/codecs then check out FFmpeg. Works on any platform, command line functionality so you can easily for loop through catalogs of files if needed.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 10 Jun 2023, 12:47

I recorded 3 videos on the webcam this week, converted them in Shotcut, and uploaded them on YouTube to send to my course tutor, she says there's no sound? I thought the videos got flagged for copyright but they're "acapella (no background music)" so I don't think that's the issue?