Should realistic looking prop guns be sold to under 18 kids?

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Should realistic looking prop guns be sold to underage kids?

Yes
No votes
No
86%
Yes (with certain restrictions)
14%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 7

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 02 May 2023, 19:01

Following on from something on another thread, I thought I'd start this discussion.

As prop toy guns are getting more realistic, some would possibly pass for real guns, and should therefore not be sold to people under 18 IMO, other than NERF guns, as they use plastic "ammo", but even they should be strictly monitored.

Does anyone agree?

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 02 May 2023, 20:28

In the UK, the sale of "realistic imitation firearms" (RIF) to anyone under 18 is already banned.

The following is taken from the "Ask The Police" website.

It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of 18, or for a person under 18 to purchase one.

An imitation firearm has been defined as 'anything, which has the appearance of being a firearm whether or not it is capable of discharging any shot, bullet, or other missile' so could include toy guns. Many imitation weapons are very realistic and until the weapon has been seized, it is difficult to ascertain whether it is genuine or not.

It is also an offence to modify an existing imitation firearm so that it becomes a RIF

EG You have a bright green plastic replica handgun, and you repaint it black with brown handgrips. I say this because I am aware that some Cosplayers ARE buying plastic replicas and respraying them. 

It is an offence to possess an imitation firearm in a public place unless the person can prove they have lawful authority or a reasonable excuse. 

So keep your replica guns and swords firmly bagged/wrapped until you get to the security check at the Con entrance.

All calls to police involving firearms are treated as if it is a genuine firearm so be aware that if you do wave an imitation firearm around you could find yourself surrounded by firearms officers pointing real weapons at you. This goes for imitation swords as well. 

So the guys I saw playfighting outside the Sheffield Con last year with the Cosplay Katanas, be warned!
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

djd001
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by djd001 » 04 May 2023, 22:03

Coming from an Airsoft background. I'm aware of the RIF implications and laws. @Ojisama has pretty much detailed these in his post above.
Saying that, these can be circumnavigated, at the time I played anyway, these may have been closed up, I have done a quick google search and it keeps saying the same thing. I did purchase one and let my son use it when I used to take him.

RIFs are shipped 2 tone as to distinguish them from the real thing, if you do not have a valid defence, IE: Ukara, registered member of a re-enactment society, etc, even the police have to prove they are the police to purchase one.
To alter one without said defence is against the law. As far as my understanding goes.

To Answer @richardallen1976 No they should not, and cannot be sold to under 18's. I would seriously question anyone under 18 with a RIF in a public area. I'd seriously question anyone OVER 18 with a RIF in a public area!!
Once you’ve met someone, you never really forget them. it just takes a while for your memories to return

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 07 May 2023, 18:48

A friend of mine on Facebook runs an Airsoft company, a few years back she offered me a free session, out near Chesterfield... Went for the day, and got shot, with ball bearings, in the noggin! I didn't manage to get anyone back either.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

djd001
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by djd001 » 08 May 2023, 18:43

Tac-House?
Airsoft tends to use plastic BB's I had about 8000 off the little blighters of various weights, tended to use .25 in the guns, .4's in the sniper.

Once you’ve met someone, you never really forget them. it just takes a while for your memories to return