Is there a cheaper way to get a new phone on O2 contract?

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 20 Apr 2023, 16:08

Above.

I still have £380 to pay off on my existing device plan, however as mentioned yesterday, I lost my device (Pixel 7) at the Odeon this week! (FFS, they would send me a 19 year old with the attention span of a 2 year old)

I just tried to get an upgrade on the website to a Pixel 7 Pro, and it's telling me I still have to pay off my existing device plan.

I have no current way to do this as my main Bank card keeps failing verification online (I've addressed this with Virgin several times and they keep saying there's no problem with either of my cards when there clearly is!)

I might just bite the bullet and go to O2 in Town tomorrow, armed with the card and do it that way seeing as the card doesn't work online except on Amazon.

Can anyone help? I am aware of Google and the O2/Virgin Money websites.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 20 Apr 2023, 16:28

Check with O2 to see if you can just pay off the phone purchase and cancel the "usage" part of the contract.

Look into getting a refurbished phone from CEX, and get a sim only deal for it. CEX phones are guaranteed for 2 years I believe. If you are prone to losing your phone, an insurance package against loss/theft sounds like a good investment. If you had done this for your Pixel 7, you could be getting a brand new phone through the post anytime soon.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 20 Apr 2023, 17:03

Ojisama wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 16:28
Check with O2 to see if you can just pay off the phone purchase and cancel the "usage" part of the contract.

Look into getting a refurbished phone from CEX, and get a sim only deal for it. CEX phones are guaranteed for 2 years I believe. If you are prone to losing your phone, an insurance package against loss/theft sounds like a good investment. If you had done this for your Pixel 7, you could be getting a brand new phone through the post anytime soon.

Yeah rub it in why don't ya! Sorry, I've been in the mood from hell most of this week.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 20 Apr 2023, 19:25

So after a discussion with Mum and Dad, I'm going to O2 in Town with the support guy (fortunately not the new kid) tomorrow to try and pay off my existing device plan and sort out a new contract.