Attach CD writer to a Chromebook or Ubuntu Desktop?

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 27 Mar 2023, 10:31

Would it be possible or can't Linux powered PCs run CD writers?

Reason I'm asking is because I bought/downloaded an Ella Roberts MP3 album on Amazon last night, and I'd like to put it on a CD, I realise I could've bought the CD itself on Amazon but the MP3 album was cheaper.

Can anyone help? I'm aware of Google and may even email my Brother.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 27 Mar 2023, 17:08

Yes, you can write CDs/DVDs/Bluerays on linux. I've not even needed to look for drivers, they just work, be it a SATA or USB writer. Just wodim or dd the files to the correct /dev/ or google for a GUI software for your distro.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 28 Mar 2023, 16:49

Turns out I don't need to, I can just use a USB cable to transfer the album to my phone.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)