I contacted Argos last night about a broken strap on a Fitbit Inspire 2 watch...

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

I contacted Argos last night about a broken strap on a Fitbit Inspire 2 watch...

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 09 Mar 2023, 10:49

They told me 10 minutes ago to contact the manufacturer on a London based phone number, who will probably send me back to customer/tech support at Argos!

Do these people do it on purpose cos they know it's annoying?

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 09 Mar 2023, 12:46

Was the strap broken when you bought it?
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 09 Mar 2023, 12:53

Ojisama wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 12:46
Was the strap broken when you bought it?

No, it's broken already though and I've only had it since the 17th of last December, so 3 months to the day next Saturday, so technically it's still under warranty, I gave Argos the order number and everything and they're telling me to contact the Fitbit company! I know I bought a replacement strap on Amazon yesterday but I shouldn't have to, especially when it cost me £9 for something I can't fit myself due to physical disability.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 09 Mar 2023, 13:19

If it is still under warranty, the retailer has the duty to replace/repair it. This may mean that it needs to be sent back to the manufacturer, but it should be done at their expense.

The Sale of Goods Act states that an item must be fit for purpose. I could be wrong, but I think a minimum period of 12 months applies to brand new items. The Act also states that your contract is with the Retailer, not their supplier.

I'd get back to Argos and tell them you need a new strap fitted, and if they can't do it, THEY need to send it off to the manufacturer. If they decline, get your money back and buy a new one.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 09 Mar 2023, 14:54

Ojisama wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 13:19
If it is still under warranty, the retailer has the duty to replace/repair it. This may mean that it needs to be sent back to the manufacturer, but it should be done at their expense.

The Sale of Goods Act states that an item must be fit for purpose. I could be wrong, but I think a minimum period of 12 months applies to brand new items. The Act also states that your contract is with the Retailer, not their supplier.

I'd get back to Argos and tell them you need a new strap fitted, and if they can't do it, THEY need to send it off to the manufacturer. If they decline, get your money back and buy a new one.

I once bought a pair of black joggers from Sports Direct in Meadowhall, they didn't fit because the legs were too long, I took them back, quoted the SOGA, and they just laughed in my face! :rage:

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 09 Mar 2023, 15:05

That doesn't surprise me for Sports Direct. They are trained to be as difficult as possible when it comes to taking money out of the till.

I know some clothing items are excluded, but not joggers as far as I can recall.

The retailer can offer an exchange or voucher, but you can insist on the cash if you want. Credit transactions must be refunded to the same card as the original purchase. Some retailers have a maximum period after which you can't return unless faulty. For most, this is about a month, but check individually.

If the Sales Assistant refuses, ask for the Manager, and get them to specifically tell you why they aren't honouring their returns policy.

If you bought the joggers online, you needed to post them back with the Returns form completed, within 28 days of receipt.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 09 Mar 2023, 15:12

Ojisama wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 15:05
I know some clothing items are excluded, but not joggers as far as I can recall.

The retailer can offer an exchange or voucher, but you can insist on the cash if you want. Credit transactions must be refunded to the same card as the original purchase. Some retailers have a maximum period after which you can't return unless faulty. For most, this is about a month, but check individually.

If the Sales Assistant refuses, ask for the Manager, and get them to specifically tell you why they aren't honouring their returns policy.

If you bought the joggers online, you needed to post them back with the Returns form completed, within 28 days of receipt.

It was from the shop, apart from cosplay stuff I never buy clothes online due to awkward body shape, the waistline's too small or the legs are too long, and then I have to pay to get it altered.

I can't help being a fat midget with short legs!

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 09 Mar 2023, 16:14

So I've just had a conversation with the London based number for the Fitbit company, they've sent me an email to request a replacement for the strap, however, the watch itself's at the Flat (I think) so I won't be able to take a photo of the damaged strap (as requested) till tomorrow.

I wouldn't mind but surely it's a simple replacement? WHY do they need proof via a photo of the broken strap?! :rage: Also, I tried to call the Argos call centre, after nearly 6 minutes on hold I gave up and called the London number.

I freely admit I have NO patience but come on!

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 15 Mar 2023, 17:32

So as Monday, I managed to find the faulty watch (in my bag, I thought it was at the Flat!) and take a pic of it on my phone, downloaded it and sent it to the fitbit company, they've accepted it and have sent a free, gratis and for nowt replacement, which has probably come today but due to a rather busy day, I haven't been down to the Flat.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 17 Mar 2023, 18:19

The new watch arrived this morning, and they've been from Royal Mail to take the surplus to requirements strap away, and as of an email that came in half an hour ago, Amazon have already issued a full refund of £8.99.

Which should be back on my card by the middle of next week.