To those who grew up in the 80s and 90s

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Jongriffin
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Jongriffin » 10 Dec 2022, 14:23

When it comes to the 80s and 90s, do you miss the whole decade of each, or are there segments of the decade you like more than others? For instance, when I say I love the 90s, I mean from 1990 to 1995. I thought the first half of the 90s was better. To me it had better music, better games for the PC (though the consoles and console games of the latter 90s were just as good as those of the first part of the 90s), better Disney animated movies, and more enjoyable live action movies. I will admit that animated shows were all wonderful throughout the 90s, but I have a soft spot for the first half of the 90s for introducing Animaniacs as well as Batman the Animated Series. Oh, and the first half of the 90s also had Calvin and Hobbs! I miss that strip.

What about all of you? Is there a certain time frame of a decade you particularly love in the 80s or 90s, or do you love the whole decade?

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 10 Dec 2022, 14:34

In some ways the 80s were better because the Interweb as we know it hadn't been invented yet, thus there was no social media.

Also, apart from the original late 80s version of Teenage Mutant Turtles having to be changed from Ninja to Hero Turtles in the UK, because the left deemed the word "Ninja" offensive, kids' cartoons were cooler IMO.

Also, in those days I was too young to vote or have an opinion on Politics, other than those of the school Playground lol.

And the BBC used to put out some of the best kids' TV ever! Oh yeah, back in the late 70s/early 80s, I was frequently late back to school from lunchtimes for watching stuff on BBC 2 "for our younger viewers" after Pebble Mill.

We didn't have a facility to tape it in those days :(
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)