I hate Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoons, but I love the graphic novels

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Jongriffin
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Jongriffin » 26 Jun 2022, 07:00

Okay, I should probably specify what I mean when I say I hate the TMNT cartoons. The only one I've really watched is the 1987 to mid 90s one when I was a kid. I know there is an early 2000s animated series, but I haven't watched that yet. 

I've grown to really loathe the original TMNT cartoon from the 80s. Why? Because it's all anyone associates the Ninja Turtles with, and I think that's tragic. TMN was originally a series of graphic novels by Eastman and Laid, published from 1984 to 2014 by Mirage Studios. Unlike the animated series that premiered in 1987, the 1984 graphic novels and beyond were gritty and violent, not afraid to show blood and death; the Turtles actually killed criminals. They were also very funny and lighthearted in areas, depending on the issue. They contained a great blend of darkness and humor; elements missing from the cartoon series. 

But what really made the graphic novels stand out was the character development. The Turtles, Casey Jones, April O Neil, and even Master Splinter had to face hardships and grow as characters. The characters were so much more well-rounded than their Saturday morning cartoon counterparts. They faced loss. There was death. There were tears and heartache. There was all around great storytelling. The villains were scary. Shredder was an assassin. Baxter was pretty much a terrorist. 

Yet people always think of the Saturday morning cartoon. I see these video games coming out for the Switch, such as Shredder's Revenge and the Cowabunga Collection and I hate how all these games are based on the cartoon template. I want to see a more adult or teen game based on the original Eastman and Laird graphic novels. 

As for the 2000 cartoon, I need to watch it. I hear it was much more faithful to the spirit of the graphic novels. The 2010s CGI one look like kiddie crap.

Am I the only one who feels like the original graphic novels were vastly superior?

Last edited by Jongriffin on 26 Jun 2022, 07:34, edited 2 times in total.

weeabooweegee
Soul Reaper Member
Soul Reaper Member
Great Britain

Post by weeabooweegee » 26 Jun 2022, 07:09

Personally I don't mind the Saturday morning cartoon but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want the graphic novels to be adapted into a game.

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 26 Jun 2022, 18:23

Since I haven't read the GNs, I can't really form an opinion, although I do have an observation to make. What you've really got to understand is that the animated series had to pass the American Censorship standards for the 1980's which restricted what they were able to adapt from the GNs.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Jongriffin
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Jongriffin » 28 Jun 2022, 08:03

Ojisama wrote:
26 Jun 2022, 18:23
Since I haven't read the GNs, I can't really form an opinion, although I do have an observation to make. What you've really got to understand is that the animated series had to pass the American Censorship standards for the 1980's which restricted what they were able to adapt from the GNs.

This is true. I understand that. But I can't help but wonder if they could have tried pushing the envelope more like Batman the Animated Series did in the 1990s. They had to follow some censorship, but still kept it to the core of who Batman was. I wonder if they could have done the same for the Turtles.

They could have at least had better characterization and storylines, like the graphic novels.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 16 Nov 2022, 10:02

They also had to change the title to Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles in the UK as for some daft reason, the word NINJA was considered offensive, eh?!
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

weeabooweegee
Soul Reaper Member
Soul Reaper Member
Great Britain

Post by weeabooweegee » 16 Nov 2022, 12:47

richardallen1976 wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 10:02
They also had to change the title to Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles in the UK as for some daft reason, the word NINJA was considered offensive, eh?!
That honestly baffles me...

Shounen-Recycled
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Shounen-Recycled » 16 Nov 2022, 17:15

I keep reading excellent reviews about the last ronin. It’s on my read list
ImageCHEESY PASTA....LETS GO

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 16 Nov 2022, 17:17

weeabooweegee wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 12:47
richardallen1976 wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 10:02
That honestly baffles me...

Aye, even in the 80s the "Woke" Guardian reading lefties ruined everything.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Shounen-Recycled
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Shounen-Recycled » 16 Nov 2022, 17:18

The first turtles movie was the first movie I ever saw at a cinema when I was a child.
ImageCHEESY PASTA....LETS GO