Cyberbullying - Japan ups the pressure on offenders.

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 20 Jun 2022, 23:21

Late last week, the Japan Diet revised parts of their Penal Code relating to online insults and cyberbullying.

Offenders now face much harsher penalties than before.

Prison sentences have moved from a maximum of 30 days, to now being up-to a year in length, but they have said that Prison Labour will not be compulsory.
The maximum fine has increased from 10,000 Yen ($70) to 300,000 Yen ($2000)

The revision was passed with support from both sides of the Diet, but concerns were expressed about it's possible impact on free speech. As a result, the law will be re-examined in 3 years time.

Pressure had been mounting for a change following the 2020 death of Wrestler and Reality TV star Hana Kimura, who committed suicide after being subjected to a campaign of online harassment. Following his death, a number of private businesses have launched anti-harassment initiatives, including Bushiroad and NIJISANJI.

Source - ANN
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 21 Jun 2022, 05:59

I never even realised that Japan have anything place like that and I do wonder if other countries have something similar. Cyberbullying is a horrible thing and it shouldn't be different to harrassment offline or any other crime against a persons. The severity of the punishment should match the severity of the crime and I would argue online crimes are just as bad, if not, worse than most other typical crimes. The whole point I guess is to put people off and I hope that matches the intentions here because something like this needs to be done worldwide imo

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

Elgood81
Nep-Nep Member
Nep-Nep Member
Great Britain

Post by Elgood81 » 22 Jun 2022, 18:48

I agree with this 100%. Cyber bullying (or any bullying) of any kind should not be tolerated. And I think an extremely heavy fine or up to a year in prison is a suitable punishment for someone that just wants to inflict emotional and psychological trauma on someone. I wish other countries would follow japans lead and punish cyber bullying offenders

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 22 Jun 2022, 21:08

Elgood81 wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 18:48
I agree with this 100%. Cyber bullying (or any bullying) of any kind should not be tolerated. And I think an extremely heavy fine or up to a year in prison is a suitable punishment for someone that just wants to inflict emotional and psychological trauma on someone. I wish other countries would follow japans lead and punish cyber bullying offenders

judging by the response Im guessing that nowhere else has some kind of law enforcement in place when it comes to cyberbullying which is interesting and kinda sad at the same time. More should be done and it feels like a lot of countries are not realising it. One theory as to why enforcement may not come into play or there could be something but not as harsh- is the assumption that cyberbullying taking place among children. Well... what can happen here if a child is cyberbullying someone else? Because you certainly cant give a child the same punishment to someone who is an adult (well... not in the UK anyway) And perhaps Japan doesnt have that issue- perhaps convicts are treated the same no matter the age. Idk, im thinking more research is needed on my part if anyone wants to fact check feel free

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 22 Jun 2022, 22:51

Trolling and bullying takes place at all age levels. Bullying is unacceptable in school, is unacceptable in the Workplace, and is unacceptable at home. Why do people think that bullying via Social Networks, e-mails, and other digital media is different? They hide behind avatars and user names and think that nobody can find them, but the tide is SLOWLY beginning to turn against them.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.