Can social media be trusted?

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 31 Oct 2022, 11:50

Over the years I've had a ton of problems with social media, especially since I was diagnosed Autistic 23 years last Tuesday ago.

Half the Internet thinks I'm "Retarded", and "Live in a Bubble", and up to around the second week in November last year, I'd never had a paid job, just done loads of voluntary work, so I frequently still get labelled as a workshy slave to the benefit system, I wouldn't mind but it's not directly my fault that despite nearly 30 years of work experience, I can't get a job because every time I apply for anything, the first thing I do is declare my disability, and then it's instantly a no, despite the illegality of direct discrimination under the Equality Act.

I also cannot work full time, due to personal circumstances, so most people don't wanna know.

But that's veering off topic, my point is I've got banned from a myriad of forums over the years for arguing with trolls on the above and other subjects, including my allegiance to the Xbox brand, and strong dislike of Sony.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Shounen-Recycled
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Shounen-Recycled » 31 Oct 2022, 18:49

TheRedWarrior wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 10:41
Advertising is getting everywhere, pop up ads, ads on Youtube just ads, ads, ads. Buy this buy that.
Even though Youtube in the beginning promised to never let it happen but whatever.
when YouTube snuck in that 2nd advert, I almost gave up on humanity
ImageCHEESY PASTA....LETS GO

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 31 Oct 2022, 19:12

Shounen-Recycled wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 18:49
TheRedWarrior wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 10:41
Advertising is getting everywhere, pop up ads, ads on Youtube just ads, ads, ads. Buy this buy that.
Even though Youtube in the beginning promised to never let it happen but whatever.
when YouTube snuck in that 2nd advert, I almost gave up on humanity

Just pay about a tenner a month for YouTube Premium, no ads.

Or if you can't afford that, get an ad blocker.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 02 Nov 2022, 08:06

If the rumours are true and Elon Musk starts charging for Twitter accounts, I'll just delete mine and never go back.

I have an Instagram account but in 12 years I've only ever used it about twice.

I'm currently serving yet another 30 day exile on Facebook up to the 23rd of this month (3 weeks today, I wouldn't mind but it's hardly my fault the Xbox groups are full of hardcore Sony loving fools trolling about various Xbox exclusives they want)

I haven't used MySpace for years.

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 02 Nov 2022, 08:15

If Twitter becomes a paid service pretty much all of the good users will leave
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

UnmeiNoTenshi
Standard Member
Wales

Achievements

Post by UnmeiNoTenshi » 02 Nov 2022, 08:18

The only rumour about paying for Twitter is just for the blue tick of verification. Nothing about actually charging to use it

belsammael
Veteran Member
Netherlands

Achievements

Post by belsammael » 06 Nov 2022, 10:23

The paid service for verification is the strongest rumor at the moment, and could be rolled out on short notice.
Other strong rumor are making the edit-button available for everyone (currently a paid feature), and that private messaging will also become a paid feature. But we'll see how that develops in the next few weeks, I guess..
No one ever listens to Zathras.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 11 Dec 2022, 18:05

I'm half tempted to delete my YouTube account, I haven't uploaded any new content for months, and I'm tired of dodging annoying fools attacking me for my Political views.

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 11 Dec 2022, 21:33

i'll say it again: trust nothing

not even your own senses

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 24 Dec 2022, 22:40

Recently social media has been so helpful keeping me occupied talking to people from certain clubs that im in. It has made me feel less lonely in times where I just need to escape from my family.

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!