Japanese culture

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

KarateKa83
Great Britain

Achievements

Japanese culture

Post by KarateKa83 » 28 Jun 2020, 18:52

Hi all,

Just wondering apart from anime/manga, if anyone else is a huge fan of Japanese culture, from music to history, from martial arts to cuisine.

I'll start, as you may have gathered I practise Karate (really love it) however my love for all things Japanese doesn't stop there, I love the history behind the land of the rising sun (sengoku jidai period is quite interesting) and love the cuisine (ramen) I also find the language fascinating both written and spoken.

I'm looking to visit Okinawa prefecture hopefully in April, from there I'll be visiting Kokusai dori, the Pokemon store and the official shonen jump store (jump station)

I would love for everyone to share their reason for their love of the Japanese culture and if anyone has visited the mystical and beautiful country.

phoenixmiko
Great Britain

Achievements

Japanese culture

Post by phoenixmiko » 28 Jun 2020, 19:09

I’m a big fan. I particularly like the history, pop culture, religion and films. I studied it at uni and had a great time immersing myself in it for a year while studying abroad in Osaka.

KarateKa83
Great Britain

Achievements

Japanese culture

Post by KarateKa83 » 28 Jun 2020, 19:14

phoenixmiko wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 19:09
I’m a big fan. I particularly like the history, pop culture, religion and films. I studied it at uni and had a great time immersing myself in it for a year while studying abroad in Osaka.

I bet that was an awesome experience, would love to visit Osaka-jo and Osaka-jo Hall and watch some Shin Nihon Puroresu

MPXX
Great Britain

Achievements

Japanese culture

Post by MPXX » 22 Aug 2020, 09:55

Hi! Yes! I've been fortunate enough to visit a couple of times and found it a completely life changing experience. Such a beautiful and fascinating country. Currently studying the language at home and hoping that travel restrictions will lift next year...
My first single 'Afterlife/Superhighway' (feat. Hatsune Miku) is out now on Spotify and Bandcamp (^^)

https://mpxx.bandcamp.com/album/afterli ... tsune-miku

IG: @mpxxmusic
Twitter: @mpxx20
TikTok: @mpxxmusic

Pixiedora
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Japanese culture

Post by Pixiedora » 23 Aug 2020, 13:06

I love the culture. I'm also into a bit of Japanese music, one of my fave groups is L'Arc~en~Ciel :D

Shounen-Recycled
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Japanese culture

Post by Shounen-Recycled » 23 Aug 2020, 13:59

Im all about Japanese music. From Heavy groups Like Maximum the Hormone to listening to a haunting Shamisen solo. Im also a big fan of the work Kenji Kawai does on Ghost in the shell, he composed the beautiful vocal choir piece that uplifts and chills me to my core. I have some Japanese friends that I help out with their English, in return I get to learn about Japan straight from the Horses mouth! I plan to visit very very soon as ive been a fan of alll things Japanese since I was a kid
ImageCHEESY PASTA....LETS GO

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Japanese culture

Post by LilMissLarBear » 25 Aug 2020, 19:07

I have tried to learn some Japanese but I just haven't kept up with it to be honest. I don't really know a lot about the Japanese culture either but I would nice to know more and travel there while I am at it!

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

KarateKa83
Great Britain

Achievements

Japanese culture

Post by KarateKa83 » 29 Aug 2020, 08:36

I've always had this fascination with Japanese culture ever since I was a kid, dating back to the 90's when I discovered the likes of Akira and 3x3 eyes. I even used to buy/collect the Manga UK monthly magazine too.

I'm also partial to a bit of Japanese music, I love Maximum the hormone in particular, and then of course I really do love Japanese martial arts, I've studied Bujinkan Budo/Ninpo Taijutsu (commonly referred to as Ninjutsu) for a few years, I then started Karate last October, and whilst it is not as unforgiving on the body like Budo Taijutsu, it does have it's challenging aspects, the things I enjoy the most in Karate are the Kata and Ippon Kumite.

Shounen-Recycled
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Japanese culture

Post by Shounen-Recycled » 30 Aug 2020, 17:44

KarateKa83 wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 08:36
I've always had this fascination with Japanese culture ever since I was a kid, dating back to the 90's when I discovered the likes of Akira and 3x3 eyes. I even used to buy/collect the Manga UK monthly magazine too.

I'm also partial to a bit of Japanese music, I love Maximum the hormone in particular, and then of course I really do love Japanese martial arts, I've studied Bujinkan Budo/Ninpo Taijutsu (commonly referred to as Ninjutsu) for a few years, I then started Karate last October, and whilst it is not as unforgiving on the body like Budo Taijutsu, it does have it's challenging aspects, the things I enjoy the most in Karate are the Kata and Ippon Kumite.
Maximum the Hormone are my fav band...Fine choice And 3x3 eyes? yes mate . I watched that back in the 90 Its mental. Going to have to watch that again now

KarateKa83
Great Britain

Achievements

Japanese culture

Post by KarateKa83 » 31 Aug 2020, 15:51

Shounen_Trash, might have to do the same haha. I may even consider watching Akira again, that film messes with your head though

Shounen-Recycled
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Japanese culture

Post by Shounen-Recycled » 31 Aug 2020, 16:09

KarateKa83, I always feel slightly haunted after I watch Akira. I think the message that Katsuhiro Otomo was trying to get across was about Humans constant desire to controls things of power that ultimately destroy us....for example nuclear weapons...But to be honest I always come away wth a different view on it everytime I watch it

Beex
Lucky Cat Member
Lucky Cat Member
United States of America

Japanese culture

Post by Beex » 31 Aug 2020, 16:48

Schools should be taking a page from Japanese culture right now. Make the teachers change classes rather than the students. Easier to trace/limit contacts that way.

"You mess with the cat, you get the litter!"

╱|、b
(˚ˎ 。7 e
|、˜〵 e
じしˍ,)ノx

"Beep boop meow!" - Robo-Fortune, Skullgirls

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The goddess Eris pads her chest.- Aqua

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

GFX by:Ioreth

KarateKa83
Great Britain

Achievements

Japanese culture

Post by KarateKa83 » 03 Sep 2020, 19:26

I also find the language fascinating too. My friend Yuko said to me in the past that when I say Japanese phrases I don't sound foreign, I sound like a native speaker, now I don't know if this is due to my second language being Italian, but that was an awesome compliment to receive from a Japanese person. :)

melanch0lic
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Japanese culture

Post by melanch0lic » 15 Sep 2020, 18:32

bumping this thread as it's quite an interesting subject :3 i love Japanese culture, especially their food (and cakes in particular) after visiting the Mount Fuji restaurant and other similar restaurants! their martial arts are also fascinating to me and i have great respect for those who practise, i'd love to practise Karate but i'm far too lazy ;o;
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online

Beex
Lucky Cat Member
Lucky Cat Member
United States of America

Japanese culture

Post by Beex » 15 Sep 2020, 18:49

I like the onigiri that have faces.

"You mess with the cat, you get the litter!"

╱|、b
(˚ˎ 。7 e
|、˜〵 e