Are you a victim of any of these? (list of common misconceptions)

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Are you a victim of any of these? (list of common misconceptions)

Post by unoduetre » 10 Mar 2020, 18:32

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... onceptions

I admit I was a victim of equal transit time fallacy explanation of the physical lift force in wings before I found this list.

I also used to believe that glass is a really, really dense fluid. (You might've heard about the false "explanation" why glass in old buildings is thicker at the bottom.)

I think I also believed that tongue taste maps are true. It's pretty stupid when I now think about it, ha ha.

And maybe some others.

I know many people believe that hair grows thicker after shaving.

How about you?

PortgasDAce
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Re: Are you a victim of any of these? (list of common misconceptions)

Post by PortgasDAce » 11 Mar 2020, 22:12

Just from a quick look, I thought that Mary Magdelene was a prostitute. There's probably more stuff on there.
“The nation that neglects social inequality, mischievously increases military budgets, and then uses its power internally to suppress the citizens on the pretext of invasion by an external enemy is on the road to extinction.”
 Yang Wen-Li.

Buta
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Re: Are you a victim of any of these? (list of common misconceptions)

Post by Buta » 14 Mar 2020, 12:08

Just after a quick glance, I was a believer that it was the seeds:

"Seeds are not the spicy part of chili peppers. In fact, seeds contain a low amount of capsaicin, the component which induces the hot sensation in mammals. The highest concentration of capsaicin is located in the placental tissue which the seeds are attached to."
ImageImageImage
~ Chaosymphonia's Adopted Big Sister ~