Have you ever suffered from anxiety and/or depression?

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Moulders
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Re: Have you ever suffered from anxiety and/or depression?

Post by Moulders » 01 Apr 2015, 20:52

I cured myself of depression. Positive thinking, and a half a bottle of whisky a night.

I feel great these days.
"Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight on to the end."

Earl Douglas Haig, Order to the British Army, 12 April 1918

So death, the most terrifying of ills, is nothing to us, since so long as we exist, death is not with us; but when death comes, then we do not exist. It does not then concern either the living or the dead, since the former it is not, and the latter are no more.

Epicurus Letter to Menoeceus

Morning Rose
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Morning Rose » 02 Apr 2015, 03:33

otakuprincess wrote:I have aspergers and it make my anxiety so much worse. that's the "other" mental condition I was talking about, and thank you all for being so kidn as well ^^

It's fine, :)
*gives you a big, warm and loving hug*

I'll always try to treat you kindly, at least...

Fire 29
Veteran Member

Post by Fire 29 » 02 Apr 2015, 05:41

Moulders wrote:I cured myself of depression. Positive thinking, and a half a bottle of whisky a night.

I feel great these days.

I did it without the whisky!
Sent from Tapatalk mostly.

RhiaSilee
Standard Member
United States of America

Post by RhiaSilee » 03 Apr 2015, 08:41

I recently got diagnosed with bipolar disorder, so depression and anxiety come and go. Lots of meds, therapy, and coping mechanisms. Pets help.

Fire 29
Veteran Member

Post by Fire 29 » 03 Apr 2015, 09:23

RhiaSilee wrote:I recently got diagnosed with bipolar disorder, so depression and anxiety come and go. Lots of meds, therapy, and coping mechanisms. Pets help.

Having pets is one of the most effective against depression and anxiety. I read it from a good source.
By the way, what's bipolar disorder?

RhiaSilee
Standard Member
United States of America

Post by RhiaSilee » 03 Apr 2015, 14:20

Fire 29
Veteran Member

Post by Fire 29 » 03 Apr 2015, 15:59

You'll get over it. There's always a way. I've beaten depression/anxiety in my life and now I'm better than ever.

RhiaSilee
Standard Member
United States of America

Post by RhiaSilee » 04 Apr 2015, 02:10

Mental disorders are legitimately defects in the brain. Yes, you can get help. You can get on the right meds and go to therapy or groups. You can get shock therapy. For people who are just diagnosed, you have to change the way you live in order to get through. You have to learn how to make it not affect others. If you have bipolar, you have to learn the signs of your mania or depression and what triggers it if anything. You have to learn coping mechanisms that work for you to keep mania and depression from influencing your decisions. When those coping mechanisms don't work, your brain makes you think that having sex with a random stranger while you're in a monogamous relationship is a good idea, that it's okay to spend $500 in one night out, or that killing yourself is the only way out. What's even worse, at least from what I know of bipolar, is that your symptoms can change or medications can stop working and you have to spend more time finding what works. For people who have a severe mental disorder it's not something you just get over. It's a daily struggle. There's no cure. You learn to live with it and try not to let it affect you or others, but it doesn't just go away. I'm sorry if this comes off wrong or abrasive, but I've just recently heard so many people, including family members, tell me that my illness isn't real or that it's all in my head and to just get over it. I've had a lot of people stop talking to me.

Morning Rose
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Morning Rose » 04 Apr 2015, 03:49

RhiaSilee wrote:'ve had a lot of people stop talking to me.

I know that very well from experience...
*gives you a big hug*

RhiaSilee
Standard Member
United States of America

Post by RhiaSilee » 04 Apr 2015, 03:54

Thanks, Jewel. <3 *hugs back*
Sorry about my little rant. I know everyone struggles with something. I just get annoyed, because either people think you're completely looney or that you're making it up.

Morning Rose
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Morning Rose » 04 Apr 2015, 04:04

No problem, :) . I like to give hugs, and especially to those who need one.

It's fine. The people who are like that are just jerks, :/

RhiaSilee
Standard Member
United States of America

Post by RhiaSilee » 04 Apr 2015, 04:06

I think other than animals what has helped me during times of depression or anxiety is jasmine tea. Even just smelling it. Mmmmm...

Morning Rose
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Morning Rose » 04 Apr 2015, 04:16

Music used to be my crutch, but not as much anymore...

RhiaSilee
Standard Member
United States of America

Post by RhiaSilee » 04 Apr 2015, 04:24

Music is tough, because it can either make it better or make it worse.

Fire 29
Veteran Member

Post by Fire 29 » 04 Apr 2015, 04:42

RhiaSilee wrote:Mental disorders are legitimately defects in the brain. Yes, you can get help. You can get on the right meds and go to therapy or groups. You can get shock therapy. For people who are just diagnosed, you have to change the way you live in order to get through. You have to learn how to make it not affect others. If you have bipolar, you have to learn the signs of your mania or depression and what triggers it if anything. You have to learn coping mechanisms that work for you to keep mania and depression from influencing your decisions. When those coping mechanisms don't work, your brain makes you think that having sex with a random stranger while you're in a monogamous relationship is a good idea, that it's okay to spend $500 in one night out, or that killing yourself is the only way out. What's even worse, at least from what I know of bipolar, is that your symptoms can change or medications can stop working and you have to spend more time finding what works. For people who have a severe mental disorder it's not something you just get over. It's a daily struggle. There's no cure. You learn to live with it and try not to let it affect you or others, but it doesn't just go away. I'm sorry if this comes off wrong or abrasive, but I've just recently heard so many people, including family members, tell me that my illness isn't real or that it's all in my head and to just get over it. I've had a lot of people stop talking to me.

You have a very legitimate point. No doubt.
What I said in the two or three sentences was that there is always a way, no matter what. You just got to find it and use it.