Should the government bring back National service for 18 year olds?

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Yes
25%
No
50%
Other
25%

Total votes: 4

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 27 May 2024, 11:55

Do the Poll and discuss.

I personally think this plan is unworkable, for instance, not all 18 year olds are mentally or physically capable of joining the Army.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Teeny
Light Blue Member
Light Blue Member
Great Britain

Post by Teeny » 27 May 2024, 12:02

I read that there are two routes people can take if National Service becomes a thing, either military service or community volunteering, so nobody is forced to join the army and I'd say the vast majority of people wouldn't do military service at all. Community volunteering may be a good way to boost young peoples employment chances though.
I'm not really sure on my overall thoughts, it's mixed. But yes completely agree with you that not everyone is suitable to do the military, and in some cases possibly not community volunteering either.
・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・
Click above to join me in Joestar Clan

lloydiboy
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by lloydiboy » 28 May 2024, 05:10

Broadly I support the idea.

To say that the idea is unworkable flies in the face of the evidence that many other countries already have this in place, including most of the Scandinavian countries.

As Teeny mentioned, the current proposal is that military service is not the only option, and community working within the NHS or Fire services are possible. The military service would also not necessarily include the basic training.

I also cannot see how this can work if there wasn't a series of exemptions. Fitness to work and certain disabilities would likely exempt a good proportion of those for whom compulsory military service is not appropriate for anyway. I know that the current government may seem completely incompetent, but they are not so incompetent to not consider those cases.

That being said, I don't believe that it will be in place in the timescales discussed (summer 2025 I think I read somewhere), and it's also an election pledge aimed to mobilise a certain demographic to vote. It's a moot point as I don't see the Tories back in power come July so like many other of Rishi's plans it will likely never see the light of day now.
Come sing along with me

Switch Nintendo Network ID: Lloydiboy
SW 7675-3547-3883

PM me to add me and I will add you back :)

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 03 Jun 2024, 13:35

The Tories have almost no chance of retaining their seats next month IMO, after 14 years even the kind of people who'd literally vote for a 1 legged Sheep that's gone lame if it wore a Tory coat have had enough of that lot.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 07 Jun 2024, 12:49

More to the point, I've lived with and met a myriad of disabled people over the years who wouldn't even be able to do Community volunteer work unless it was tailored to their physical and/or mental needs.