Considerable increase in spam on my Gmail account!

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 04 Jul 2023, 18:27

Above.

Not all of it gets caught by my spam filters.

Can I do anything?

I am aware of Google, Gmail is a Google service and my main email account.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 04 Jul 2023, 19:09

Probably not much other than flag the said email for spam if it isnt caught already then future emails of the same address should get caught. Pretty sure you can block email addresses too. If you signed up to anything by accident that you not supposed to then I would unsubscribe from the mailing list too. First two options are probably safer in case said email is a phishing one and wants you to click on something- im sure you are already aware, it could lead to malicious stuff etc etc. Sometimes I even just ignore it or delete it. I ignore them because (and you can thank my studies for this bit) the email addresses can become like inactive but say if after a while you leave it but then suddenly click unsubscribe from mailing list or whatever it can make the email address active again and it wont actually take you off which is why I say take caution about unsubscribing.

In summary: block, flag as spam or ignore- unsubscribe with caution, probably best to use the other options

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 04 Jul 2023, 19:10

Apologies :sweatdrop: you could have read that last line but I literally had part of my studies cover this kind of stuff and Im really into anything internet security :)

Lauren
VG mod

Beex
Lucky Cat Member
Lucky Cat Member
United States of America

Post by Beex » 04 Jul 2023, 19:21

You must have gotten into a list somewhere.

I get legit emails put in the spam folder.

"You mess with the cat, you get the litter!"

╱|、b
(˚ˎ 。7 e
|、˜〵 e
じしˍ,)ノx

"Beep boop meow!" - Robo-Fortune, Skullgirls

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The goddess Eris pads her chest.- Aqua

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

GFX by:Ioreth

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 04 Jul 2023, 19:43

LilMissLarBear wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 19:10
Apologies :sweatdrop: you could have read that last line but I literally had part of my studies cover this kind of stuff and Im really into anything internet security :)

My brother does Internet security for a living and has taught me stuff, in general I know not to click any links that look even remotely dodgy.

You see, I might never win Mastermind but contrary to popular belief I'm not daft.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 04 Jul 2023, 19:48

richardallen1976 wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 19:43
LilMissLarBear wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 19:10

My brother does Internet security for a living and has taught me stuff, in general I know not to click any links that look even remotely dodgy.

You see, I might never win Mastermind but contrary to popular belief I'm not daft.

Regardless I hope my tips were useful :dance: if you learned anything extra from it considering the passing down of your brother's expertise then thats a bonus :sweatdrop:

Lauren
VG mod

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 04 Jul 2023, 22:49

Sounds like your details have been sold on, maybe several times. Always read the "fine print" about protecting your details. Sometimes you have to opt out of an automatic sharing of your details. This can mean "checking" a box to opt out, or "Un-checking" a pre-checked box (very sneaky that one) to opt out.

Your details may have been leaked by a data breach. Go to haveibeenpwned.com to see if your address is on the list of leaked details.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 05 Jul 2023, 10:27

Ojisama wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 22:49
haveibeenpwned.com
I just checked the link you posted.

Looks like I have indeed been pwned, but not recently, the last one was just over 2 and half years ago.

Attachments
Screenshot 2023-07-05 11.25.06.png
Looks like I have indeed been "pwned"! (you what?)
Screenshot 2023-07-05 11.25.06.png (673.39 KiB) Viewed 259 times

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 05 Jul 2023, 14:07

These lists of leaked details get passed around, so even if the breach was a couple of years ago, a bad actor may have just obtained them and is now spamming the hell out of the list in the hoped of getting a bite.

Oh, and I'm sure that you will have changed your password, but it doesn't hurt to change it again.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.