PM Rishi Sunak announces a new Bank Holiday to mark King Charles III coronation

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 06 Nov 2022, 01:02

Above

It'll be on Monday the 8th of May next year following the actual Coronation ceremony on Saturday the 6th of May.

So you'll all get a day off work, more time to post on here (I bet some of y'all post on here from work anyway lol)

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Shounen-Recycled
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Shounen-Recycled » 11 Nov 2022, 01:24

Hopefully he will be a generous King and donate the money for his coronation to better cause. Seems a bit a much just to put a hat on your head.
ImageCHEESY PASTA....LETS GO

Ferefire
Ensouled Member
Ensouled Member
Great Britain

Post by Ferefire » 11 Nov 2022, 03:05

Shounen-Recycled wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 01:24
Hopefully he will be a generous King and donate the money for his coronation to better cause. Seems a bit a much just to put a hat on your head.
Playing Devil's Advocate here, you could consider these big showy displays as a PR for Britain as a whole and a way to generate immediate money from trade and tourism as well as medium to longer-term overall influence and income which is obviously less quantifiable. The term to look up here is "soft power".

To put it into another context - The Queen's funeral was seen apparently by one half of the entire planet (4 billion - over twice that of the Olympics) and was the most televised ever in the world. That counts. And so will the Coronation for Charles (despite the fact he's clearly a bit of a douche). Good PR for UK Plc as we seek to further ourselves in the world and to generate the funds to help our ever aging population accompanied by dwindling resources, opportunities, workers, innovation and so many other problems. The only things we still do right are basically co-running the world's banking system via London and be a very good PR and services agency - without those, uhm good luck.. ¬¬

Btw, I do suspect whereas most people call Queen Elizabeth as simply "The Queen", people will not call King Charles as "The King" but simply as "Charles". I have heard this already in day to day life, I am interested in what everyone else has picked up on this?
---

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 11 Nov 2022, 12:52

Ferefire wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 03:05
Shounen-Recycled wrote:
Playing Devil's Advocate here, you could consider these big showy displays as a PR for Britain as a whole and a way to generate immediate money from trade and tourism as well as medium to longer-term overall influence and income which is obviously less quantifiable. The term to look up here is "soft power".

To put it into another context - The Queen's funeral was seen apparently by one half of the entire planet (4 billion - over twice that of the Olympics) and was the most televised ever in the world. That counts. And so will the Coronation for Charles (despite the fact he's clearly a bit of a douche). Good PR for UK Plc as we seek to further ourselves in the world and to generate the funds to help our ever aging population accompanied by dwindling resources, opportunities, workers, innovation and so many other problems. The only things we still do right are basically co-running the world's banking system via London and be a very good PR and services agency - without those, uhm good luck.. ¬¬

Btw, I do suspect whereas most people call Queen Elizabeth as simply "The Queen", people will not call King Charles as "The King" but simply as "Charles". I have heard this already in day to day life, I am interested in what everyone else has picked up on this?

Most of us "commoners" aren't on first name terms with HRH King Charles III though.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Shounen-Recycled
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Shounen-Recycled » 11 Nov 2022, 20:21

richardallen1976 wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 12:52
Ferefire wrote:
Shounen-Recycled wrote:

Most of us "commoners" aren't on first name terms with HRH King Charles III though.
Well, old Charlie boy has waited a long time to wear his hat. Let him have a year before he gets too old and then abolish the royal family. There’s no need for it in this day and age. They should start a reality tv show, that would bring the cash in

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 12 Nov 2022, 07:56

Shounen-Recycled wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 20:21
richardallen1976 wrote:
Ferefire wrote:

Well, old Charlie boy has waited a long time to wear his hat. Let him have a year before he gets too old and then abolish the royal family. There’s no need for it in this day and age. They should start a reality tv show, that would bring the cash in

Abolishing the Monarchy? Won't happen, they bring in too much tourism money.

Ferefire
Ensouled Member
Ensouled Member
Great Britain

Post by Ferefire » 13 Nov 2022, 01:59

Shounen-Recycled wrote:
richardallen1976 wrote:
Ferefire wrote:

This is the kind of "out of the box" thinking that I approve of. xD Let them keep the monarchy but the proviso is that they get televised 24/7 like Big Brother throughout. Each month they decide (and that's, in a lovely plot twist, each royal family member - not the public are the ones that decide and vote..) - "Stay" or "Abdicate". Thoughts? ;p Would Charles stay or abdicate and if he did decide to eventually abdicate then how many months/years would it take? :)
---

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 13 Nov 2022, 07:47

Ferefire wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 01:59
Shounen-Recycled wrote:
richardallen1976 wrote:

This is the kind of "out of the box" thinking that I approve of. xD Let them keep the monarchy but the proviso is that they get televised 24/7 like Big Brother throughout. Each month they decide (and that's, in a lovely plot twist, each royal family member - not the public are the ones that decide and vote..) - "Stay" or "Abdicate". Thoughts? ;p Would Charles stay or abdicate and if he did decide to eventually abdicate then how many months/years would it take? :)

Royal family 24/7 TV coverage? Won't happen.

Shounen-Recycled
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Shounen-Recycled » 13 Nov 2022, 17:19

Ferefire wrote:
Shounen-Recycled wrote:
richardallen1976 wrote:

Stay, abdicate or decapitate? I think a danger round once a month would keep everyone on their toes. I always thought that Kardashians programme could of done with some public executions. Be good for morale

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 13 Nov 2022, 17:22

Shounen-Recycled wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 17:19
Ferefire wrote:
Shounen-Recycled wrote:
Stay, abdicate or decapitate? I think a danger round once a month would keep everyone on their toes. I always thought that Kardashians programme could of done with some public executions. Be good for morale

Public execution? Won't happen.