What's the last thing you bought or will buy?

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Nocchi
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Re: What's the last thing you bought or will buy?

Post by Nocchi » 12 Oct 2018, 18:04

lambda-sky wrote:Crying because the price or crying because OMG IM GOING TO DIE?

both LMAO
ImageImage

Erine
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Erine » 12 Oct 2018, 21:41

Anime it's a addiction and obsession of mine
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Maybe She's born with it...maybe she's Erine"

Quoted by H03nn89

To read my current work check out:

showthread.php?120443-Erine-Writes-free ... hat-I-hear

In the creative&Writing section of AL!

To read more of my writings, poetry or look at my other works please check out:

https://www.deviantart.com/silentangelawaits

On my Deviantart which has everything else on!

Have A Happy Valentines Day Everyone! ^^

Moulders
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Moulders » 15 Oct 2018, 00:01

lambda-sky wrote:I know that feeling. Sometimes you can get a deal when a new release comes out and gamers upgrade. But since people also use them for cracking passwords and cryptocurrency mining, the prices of older cards generally stay correlated to hashing power.

Last thing I bought was another Nexus 7! I'll try not to destroy this one... :roll:

I'm not even on the cusp of technology. All I want to do is play some games, not even that bothered about framerate.

I bought a card a while ago, supposedly real good like..... but after a few months it was always tripping due to high temp. I would always have to dismantle it, blow it out with an airgun and put it back in. This would happen again a few month later. This also happened on another same card. The idling GPU temp was like... 70C just on windows.

Got a new one.... this idles at 29, goes up to 60 when playing WoW.

I know that different chips have different optimal environment preferences, but this was notable. Notable in that two exact boards exhibited the same characteristics.

This new one has been superb so far. I may change my mind in a few months when a patina has built up soooo... watch this space.

(For those interested: old card was Radeon R9-290A 4GB new: Geforce GTX 1060 3GB) Bear in mind though that although my knowledge is enough to build a PC and diagnose problems, I'm no expert on the matter nor pretend to be one.
"Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight on to the end."

Earl Douglas Haig, Order to the British Army, 12 April 1918

So death, the most terrifying of ills, is nothing to us, since so long as we exist, death is not with us; but when death comes, then we do not exist. It does not then concern either the living or the dead, since the former it is not, and the latter are no more.

Epicurus Letter to Menoeceus

Erine
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Erine » 15 Oct 2018, 11:00

Food
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Maybe She's born with it...maybe she's Erine"

Quoted by H03nn89

To read my current work check out:

showthread.php?120443-Erine-Writes-free ... hat-I-hear

In the creative&Writing section of AL!

To read more of my writings, poetry or look at my other works please check out:

https://www.deviantart.com/silentangelawaits

On my Deviantart which has everything else on!

Have A Happy Valentines Day Everyone! ^^

lambda-sky
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by lambda-sky » 15 Oct 2018, 17:51

Last edited by lambda-sky on 27 Feb 2021, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 17 Oct 2018, 01:19

Booked train and airbnb for Norwich Con!
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

Moulders
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Moulders » 17 Oct 2018, 08:16

lambda-sky wrote:That is horrifying.
Something to look out for in future is the power consumption (TDP).

The R9 290 is rated at 275 W and the GTX 1060 is only 120 W. I expect that might be a significant factor in your situation.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/r ... -290.c2397
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/g ... 3-gb.c2867

There shouldn't be an issue with supplying the necessary power, (supply is quite substantial) but yeah I imagine the consumption would be a big factor in this situation regarding temps. Perhaps the case cooling was insufficient and needed something more substantial. Hmm...
"Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight on to the end."

So death, the most terrifying of ills, is nothing to us, since so long as we exist, death is not with us; but when death comes, then we do not exist. It does not then concern either the living or the dead, since the former it is not, and the latter are no more.

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 17 Oct 2018, 16:12

Sent over some money to someone for some merch I claimed a while ago woo
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

lambda-sky
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by lambda-sky » 17 Oct 2018, 18:01

Izzy
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Izzy » 17 Oct 2018, 23:31

Food stuffs. Hamburger meat, Buns, Mayo, Potatoes, Vegetable Oil, RC Soda, Cereal Bars, and a cola.

Play FFXIV? Need a Free Company? Join the Moonlight Warriors on the Jenova Server! PM for more Info!
Play ARK? Need a Tribe? Look for Reina on EU Server 836 on The Island!

Back in the Habit.

Moulders
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Moulders » 17 Oct 2018, 23:40

lambda-sky wrote:Well power supplies are not usually very efficient either. if it's not branded 80 plus then you're probably not even getting 80% of what's on the label. But yeah I meant temperature, 275W is going to generate a lot of heat if it's all going through a single card. Even top end Nvidia cards don't take that much.

Power consumption is something that's been a bane since I started work when I used to approve chainsaws for Husqvarna. It's such a big con when it comes to consumer products. For so many of them they will be branded 800W 900W and 1000W but there will be no change to the actual motor.

The card sees to be the most inneficient, must require additional measures to cool it. Which I did not have in and I wish they would have suggested. I usually give a PSU a good run-through by shorting out the inputs through various high power resistors. Enough to simulate purely resistive loads. I could possibly change it to include active components.

lambda-sky
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by lambda-sky » 18 Oct 2018, 18:09

H03nn89
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by H03nn89 » 18 Oct 2018, 19:28

Lunch

Elgood81
Nep-Nep Member
Nep-Nep Member
Great Britain

Post by Elgood81 » 20 Oct 2018, 12:31

Petrol so I can get to the FSW show this evening. (hopefully there's a place for me on the card)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]55102[/ATTACH]

Moulders
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Moulders » 20 Oct 2018, 21:42

lambda-sky wrote:It's not your fault it takes a stupid amount of power and then collapses under the heat. :|
I've been down the same road, that's why I learned to look out for TDP.

Yeah, I'll look out for it next time and use it not to see if my PSU will handle it (because it will) but whether or not I need extra cooling.