Game Stick HD - How to get the flippin' thing to work?

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 16 Jan 2024, 19:28

So I bought the Game Stick HD following an ad on Facebook (yeah yeah I know, I'm a nutter), it came with the Postie this morning, I've tried to plug it into all 3 HMDI ports on the back of the telly (Samsung Smart TV) and I can't get it to work!

I know it's not the fault of the ports as I have 3 other devices (Sky Q Box, DVD player and Xbox Series X) that all work perfectly off the ports.

However, to try and troubleshoot, I've ordered an HDMI extender on Amazon (fortunately it was less than a fiver, so if it doesn't work, and it probably won't, it's not broke the Bank)

Anyway, has anyone bought one of these things and actually got it to work?

From a company called Momentrend.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 16 Jan 2024, 19:46

What did it come with? I believe we have some of those. You'll need to put the USB in the game stick or in a USB slot on the TV if I remember correctly

They are pretty decent got lots of PS1 games and Retro Arcade games
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 16 Jan 2024, 19:48

LikkleMel wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 19:46
What did it come with? I believe we have some of those. You'll need to put the USB in the game stick or in a USB slot on the TV if I remember correctly

Thanks Mel, I'll get the support worker to have a look tomorrow, despite being considerably younger, he's even more au fait with gaming tech than I am.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 16 Jan 2024, 19:54

Rich-Allen1976 wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 19:48
LikkleMel wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 19:46

Thanks Mel, I'll get the support worker to have a look tomorrow, despite being considerably younger, he's even more au fait with gaming tech than I am.

No problem! We are testing some out for the VIdeo Gaming Area and they are pretty decent. I will say that some heavy games such as Crash Bandicoot 3 does chug a bit and they work better on smaller monitors for smoothness :)

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 17 Jan 2024, 16:31

Well, we've both been trying all afternoon to get the thing working, and have failed.

I've emailed the company requesting a full refund, but it's unlikely they'll play ball, International companies almost never do.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 18 Jan 2024, 17:10

So now, faffing about with HDMI ports at the back of the telly has KILLED my TV and I cannot watch anything, not even on Sky.

I've emailed Momentrend, but they're a gang of C U Next Tuesdays who don't do anything.

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 20 Jan 2024, 21:51

Plugging things into HDMI ports does not kill TVs. I'm assuming you're just not getting a signal from the ports. Check the source, reboot/reset the devices outputting to the ports, theres a factory reset option in the menus you can try. Throw a laptop in one of the ports, smart TVs tend to save metadata for ports for some dumb reason so it could be looking for a specific output device.

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 20 Jan 2024, 23:10

Yeh the stick itself wouldn't of killed the tv most likely just a loose connection somewhere

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 21 Jan 2024, 16:27

Well last Friday my wonderful Brother managed to get the thing to work.

And I've played various retro games including the SNES version of Super Tennis, and the MAME version of the Simpsons Arcade game (which I actually cleared last night as Marge)